LandingLoop for Docking

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Chinook
Admiral

Re: LandingLoop for Docking

Post by Chinook »

Slick trick I read about people using on the ICW, when trying to flip a dock line over a bollard in a lock, is to have a length of old garden hose along. 8 or 10 feet would be about the right length, 5/8" to 3/4" ID, and old enough to be fairly stiff. You feed your dock line through the hose till it comes out the far end. Then grasp the two ends of the hose, which gives you a nice stiff "U" shape which can be controlled and lifted over a bollard. Without the hose, we looked pretty silly at times, trying to flip a limp dock line over the bollard while we were drifting around in the lock. Hose might also work to grab a piling if the piling isn't too high. Those fixed docks with stern tie pilings back east, where the tidal range is 3 or 4 feet, can be really knarly to get in and out of. I recall with particular horror docking at Cabbage Key Marina in southwest Florida in a 20 knot crosswind, with stern pilings only about 9 feet apart. Had to come in hot, which I hate to do. Felt relieved to get tied up with only minimal grazing of the piling against the rub rail. I guess that's what rub rails are for.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Informative post; thanks Chinook.
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

What a great idea with the garden hose!!!!
I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years!!!
Thank you!!!