Just bought a Mac!!! - Brighton,UK

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

jezbraker
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Just bought a Mac!!! - Brighton,UK

Post by jezbraker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:51 am

Hi all,

Thought i should say hello now we are mac owners rather than just lurkers on here!

I've been hankering after a boat for a while now but after spending some time looking at power boats i came to the conclusion id get bored of simply driving - but the thought of a full on sail boat is rather scary so the best of both worlds boat rather stood out! Was originally looking for an X based on our budget... but thanks to a little ebay action we have ended up with a '04 26m with a yamy50.

I have Lotus Elise and there's quite a bit of forum based banter between series 1 (i have) and series 2 (the mrs has one) owners - similar it seems to the blue hull :macm: vs :macx: and I’ve ended up with the "pretty" blue one :)

She’ll be living on the south coast of England in Brighton... currently sitting in the boatyard and going into the water this coming Saturday. Dropped it off there last weekend and spent a day or two sorting out and giving it a couple of coats of antifoul ready for living in the water for a while.

Its a bit of a "where do you start!" feeling at the moment... she's pretty bare at the mo - not even a compass so we need to get her kitted out a little... I suppose some nav equipment, sensors and VHF will be the first port of call at the chandlery... along with lifejackets and flares!

I also want to use her for and occasional bit of fishing so I’m thinking a couple of rod holders might work... will have to dig around the forums and see what folks have done - I see the factory do holders at £50 a pop?

On the sailing side the main looks straight forward enough to rig though the Jib is brand new so will await a clam day to try set it up on the furling jobby! hope to call on the last owner or mates with sailing experience to give us a hand getting it setup... and then to take a few courses!!!

Anyhow, great forum - lots of advice very useful on here when it came to looking at boats etc - hopefully we bought a good one!

Any one else based around Brighton with a mac??

Cheers!
Jez.

a few piccies of "Achar"...

Parked at my sisters place after collecting her...

Lifting onto a stand at Brighton marina boat yard...

Anifouled and some fender socks fitted to stop further rubbing...

Love MACs
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Eddyville, KY; 2002 X, 50hp Merc-4 stroke: Dream Chaser

Re: Just bought a Mac!!! - Brighton,UK

Post by Love MACs » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:46 am

Congrats, and nice looking boat. May you have calm seas and fair weather ahead of you! Enjoy, my friend. There are several MAC sailors in England!

Allan

c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:48 am

Jez,

Welcome aboard. You are in luck...I happen to be an :macm: owner living in London without my Mac. If you need any assistance and are willing/able to give a displaced Yank a ride, let me know.

I am not to proud to beg for rides... 8)

Haven't seen anyone on this board from Brighton (at least not that I have noticed) but there are several from the UK.

Cheers,
Jim

irayone
First Officer

Post by irayone » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:49 am

Nice !
I see you have the faster blue hull....Looks good. Don't spend money until you play with her for a while....A christening is the first step...Be sure to dename the boat first before you christen.....

bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:14 pm

hello,welcome to the Forum,im further up the coast at Lincolnshire.Have you done much sailing before?There is a UK macGregor Owners association.

tangentair
Admiral

Post by tangentair » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:38 am

Congratulations and enjoy. Keep us posted on your experiences, there seems to be some serious sailors using MACs in the UK.

rfrye94760
Chief Steward
Location: Roselle, IL "s/v Mitaza" 2010 26M, MACM 2536 H910, Evinrude ETEC 60HP slipped Racine, WI

Post by rfrye94760 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:41 am

She's beautiful! I have just purchased as well and expect delivery in 3 or 4 weeks. Please post your impressions of your first outing for a fellow new owner.
Congratulations

mike uk
First Officer

Post by mike uk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Congratulations Jez. There'll be no looking back now (except to check that the motor's peeing correctly).

I'm based in NW England. The boat lives on the drive and we trailer to wherever we are going. We do a lot of our sailing with other members of the UK Owners Association who are a very sociable bunch and there's a whole range of abilities from novice to old sea dogs. If you are interested in joining check out the website http://community.macgregorowners.org.uk/

Last September a group of 4 boats did the cross channel trip from Rye to Boulogne. First time for us. It was great. Like a pond going over - we just needed to thread our way between the supertankers. Bit livelier coming back but the Macs were just fine! When we got back my wife and I stayed on a few extra days and went down to Brighton. Great set-up there - if the weather's too much, there's so much else to do.

This year the association has already done the Norfolk Broads, a circular cruise on Grand Union canal/tidal Thames (without masts of course!), Brittany (via ferry) and a Solent rally. We also have planned a rally from Cardiff and a "warm down" end of season trip to Windermere.

We flew back from Brittany for my daughter's wedding but we left the boat there on her trailer. We will be going back at the end of the month for another 2 weeks and will eventually bring her back on the ferry just in time to get up to Windermere - This sailing lark certainly keeps you busy. :)

Welcome to the clan 8)

Mike

GART
Deckhand

Post by GART » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Congratulations, and welcome I am based down the coast at Chichester, I launched my 26x :macx: in June and have been very impressed, reading the reports on its sailing ability I was very concerned, but am quite happy with the performance :) . So your 26m should be even better. I have not had the opportunity or inclination to open the engine up yet as there is an 8 knot speed limit in the harbour and at a quoted 25 litres an hour at full throttle I am reluctant to try. As others have said already use her for the rest of the season then spend the winter modifying once you know what you want.

This is a great site, free, and the Mod’s section is awesome, we just need some more posts on the European section.

Cheers
Graham

jaguar496
Engineer
Location: MESIC, NC, '08 26M 40hp suzuki "THE RESTLESS TWO" MACM2023L708

Post by jaguar496 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:04 pm

Well, JOLLY GOOD JEZBRAKER 8) This group of MAC owners/afficianados are now expecting great things from you, as most of the finest British sailors came from the ports that are on the southern coast, from Land's End to Dover, so , you are in fine company 8) 8) I just read that a fellow in your neighborhood is using an iPhone to give him marine info, like tides, charts, and I'm sure compass headings, plus marine weather. this little tool just may keep you in budget until you know which additions you are willilng to pay for. I believe that there are many :macm: & :macx: owners not too far from you, and are quite active. Let us know how you are making her into your dreams and into your family. CHEERIO Alice and Stew of "THE RESTLESS TWO"

dvideohd
First Officer

Post by dvideohd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:10 pm

congrats..!!!

there are also a host of other Mac owners to trade Mod ideas with... 'Cats, 25s, 19s, Ventures of all sizes, 26Ds and Ss.... so there are lots of folks to hobknob with...!!!!

I think there are over 600 cool mods posted about - will take you a while to dig them all out...!!

--jerry

jezbraker

Post by jezbraker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 am

thanks all!

signed up for the uk group 8)

Jim, ill ping you once we have her a bit more sorted and actually in the water! where you working in London? im based near Victoria station in cent London for next couple of months :)

I have a couple of what are prob very dumb questions ill ask here as they don't warrant a new thread :)

1- mast is up now so its raised first silly rigging question... I've two ropes going up the mast - the larger i'm presuming the halyard and a second smaller one. am i correct the smaller rope should be used to go back to the end of the boom and support it when the main is down?

2- as she is going to be moored in the water marina for the foreseeable future should i leave the water ballast tank full? i presume this will give a damn site more stability - but is it OK to keep if full of salt water for extended periods? should i find a way to fill with fresh water?

3- and finally - I've checked oil etc in engine and all looks good (shes only done 32hrs so it looks as new!) so to confirm apart for flushing after use and regular checks of fluids the key thing to look for is the it pee's out the side of the engine and hence cooling system is tip top?

that prob clarifies just how new to all this we are :D :D :D :D

cant wait to get it in the water this weekend!!!

c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:56 am

jezbraker wrote:Jim, ill ping you once we have her a bit more sorted and actually in the water! where you working in London? im based near Victoria station in cent London for next couple of months :)
Jez, I am in the US Air Force and work for NATO at the Northwood HQ which is in Northwood near Watford.
jezbraker wrote:1- mast is up now so its raised first silly rigging question... I've two ropes going up the mast - the larger i'm presuming the halyard and a second smaller one. am i correct the smaller rope should be used to go back to the end of the boom and support it when the main is down?

2- as she is going to be moored in the water marina for the foreseeable future should i leave the water ballast tank full? i presume this will give a damn site more stability - but is it OK to keep if full of salt water for extended periods? should i find a way to fill with fresh water?

3- and finally - I've checked oil etc in engine and all looks good (shes only done 32hrs so it looks as new!) so to confirm apart for flushing after use and regular checks of fluids the key thing to look for is the it pee's out the side of the engine and hence cooling system is tip top?
1. If it is at the top of the mast then it sounds like the topping lift which does what you said. Could be a halyard for a spinnaker but that probably be the same size as the halyard for your main.

2. I have only kept mine in the water for 2 months once and I normally kept the water ballast in...on the advice of others on this board I poured a small amount of Clorox Bleach in the tank to keep critters from growing.

3. I am not an engine expert and I have a 2-stroke but also check the lube for the lower unit.

Good Luck,
Jim

emma

Post by emma » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi all, I'm the mrs mentioned above.

Thought i'd best log in and see what Jez has been discussing every evening after work :)

He's very proud at present having just got the beam attached and working - so thanks for all the help so far.

Only 12 ish hours now until she gets wet!!!! :D

robbiebull
Deckhand

Post by robbiebull » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Good luck with the inaugral launch & sail you guys,

the forum is excellent along with all the mods, I have had a 26X for a couple of years & finally started drilling holes in her this year, cant stop now !!

There are a few Macs around the Aberdeenshire coast as well, I'm just back from a week in Loch Lomond, stayed at the Ardliu marina, the one bit of advice I can give is have a spare rope on your mast when lowering & raising, the support lug gave way when lowering the mast, & I have just received my new mast after 4 months.

I also have the Yam50, good motor.

Good luck

Rob