interior layout: old M versus *new* M versus X

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

interior layout: old M versus *new* M versus X

Post by DaveC426913 »

I read somewhere that, after an overhaul of the interior from the X, a lot of epople didn't like the interior of the M, so after some years they switched back.

Since I really like the layout of the X, does that mean I could have that layout and still sail an M? Where can I find more about this?
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Re: interior layout: old M versus *new* M versus X

Post by Divecoz »

" New " M 05 = Present is sliding galley on Port Side .."Old " M has a fixed galley on Starboard.
" A Lot of people didn't like?? " Just the older X owners.. Yes it was a small war here a few years ago.. M's sold, may well out number X's now ..

you have 3 different choices and if nit picked a dozen or more..If you get this.. you give up that..
Like the Interior of an X but want the sailing and powering aspects of the M? Buy a Sawzall a bucket of white paint and 2 gallons of Marine Tex when you buy the M :D :D :D :D
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

There was a 2003 2004 2005 version :macm: that had a very open salon design. The change was not driven by consumer feedback (who makes this stuff up, anyway?)

In fact, the original plans for the first :macm: were stolen by a pterodactyl and so Roger had to redo the :macm: for the MY 2006
Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 »

I have the 2003 open style and it has the roomiest looking insides.
Q1
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

Quebec 1 's 2nd picture is the best shot of that model run.. Its got the sit to cook galley and the smaller table.. Later M's have a seat where the galley was in earlier ( pictured models) and seating for 4 (?) and a larger table (?) The Latest Ms have the galley that slides forward and back a total of about 6 feet (?)
Its All Personal Choices......... Bottom line select what you like, as all model configurations are available Used and only the "New " Configuration is available.... NEW..
Q1 :D You had me going there for a second :D with Pic #3 hahahaha Nice wood working dude hahahahaha DREAMER!
On Edit:
Where does the table top go when its not in use??
Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 »

Divecoz wrote: Where does the table top go when its not in use??
Aft berth,Port side bulkhead! slides right in between the mattress side and the bulkhead along with the full size table. The table you see in the pic is the coffee table table.
Q1
frede
Engineer
Location: Washington Sailing Marina, Alexandria VA - 2005 26M 50hp Honda - Kool Breeze

Post by frede »

Québec 1 wrote:The table you see in the pic is the coffee table table.
Q1
I want a coffee table table! 8)
Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 »

Cost me 29.95.
Check out my mod at:
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1090

Q1
frede
Engineer
Location: Washington Sailing Marina, Alexandria VA - 2005 26M 50hp Honda - Kool Breeze

Post by frede »

Québec 1 wrote:Cost me 29.95.
Check out my mod at:
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1090

Q1
Nice! What holds the cockpit table up? FWIW: I love my "open salon" M :D it's like my 26D, only with more head room :wink:
frede
Engineer

Post by frede »

This is a scan of the manual for a 2005 Macgregor 26M, which has the open salon design that reminds me of my old 26D. I tried to uploaded it to the Resources > Manuals section, but I keep getting the error: "The uploaded file type is not an acceptable type."
http://www.edelkam.com/macgregor26m/Mac ... l_2005.pdf
c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king »

Frede,

Interesting. I also have a 2005 :macm: but with the sliding galley on the port side. I like it because it is what I have. If I had bought a slightly older model with the galley where you have it I would have liked that just as well I am sure.

And I notice your manual has a stamp on the front page for A1 Sailboats in Mayo, MD. That is the marina where I keep my boat. There are a lot of Macs there...maybe 15-20...but I think I have the only :macm: .

Cheers,
Jim
Sailing on König
Sailing on König YouTube Channel
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

I've got the new configuration :macm: with the sliding galley. Firstly, the moving galley REALLY opens up the cabin--when it's in the aft position (i.e. "daytime") the seating is wide open. When we cook, the Admiral usually keeps it in the "mid" position. At night, we move it all the way forward which opens up the crawl-way to the aft berthing on the port side. Best part? You can pop two screws and entirely remove the galley from the boat, leaving the interior completely open with a port side settee from the V-berth to the aft berth and a table with two seats on starboard. This presumes that you've not hooked a water system up to the galley. If you were only going to be day-sailing, you can leave the galley in your garage.

In any case, we find that we are sliding the galley back and forth throughout the day.

We looked at a used '04 that had the earlier galley configuration, but we ruled out the boat because we have three kids so we need the extra berth provided by the table and seats. It's a very long 7' 4" x 4' in berth configuration, which is by far the largest berth on the boat for a single sleeper. It can accommodate anyone, whereas the aft berth is limited to 6'5" on the starboard and 6'4" on the port. (I'm 6'5", so this concerns me). The cushion for the table fits exactly on the port or starboard side bulkhead of the aft berth and holds itself in place against the wall.

Anyway, just my two cents I think the modern :macm: configuration is the best I've seen on any sailboat under 40', and it's the primary reason we bought a Mac.
pokerrick1
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 23

Post by pokerrick1 »

mastreb wrote: Anyway, just my two cents I think the modern :macm: configuration is the best I've seen on any sailboat under 40'.
Well, under 32' anyway!

I almost never moved my galley. There was plenty of sitting space with the couch and the dinning table - - - and I fit comfortably on the couch forward of the galley for my late afternoon nap; after a hard afternoon of sailing and before my grueling 3-4 hours of evening poker playing :P 8)

Rick
frede
Engineer

Post by frede »

mastreb wrote:...In any case, we find that we are sliding the galley back and forth throughout the day...
My first Macgregor, a 25, had the sliding galley and it was nice to be able hide it away when not in use, but I never found the dinette large enough for three 6'+ men, no problem on the D or the open salon M, which I say should be called the MD :D
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I've rafted up with Paul on Cuttyhunk in the early :macm: cabin and admired the roominess.

Maybe it was the 6 Tweens on anchor with m e on the :macx: though.... :| :| :|