26x winter cover

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Steve K
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: 26x winter cover

Post by Steve K » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am

If you're buying marine fabric, (cover material etc.) check these guys. Looks like great prices.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Boat ... index.html
I've been looking at the Sail Warehouse cover for years. May bite the bullet and get one, at some point. In the meantime it's a hundred bucks more than when I first looked at it :cry: And it ain't cheap :!:

BB,
SK

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:44 am

Steve K wrote:If you're buying marine fabric, (cover material etc.) check these guys. Looks like great prices.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Boat ... index.html
I've been looking at the Sail Warehouse cover for years. May bite the bullet and get one, at some point. In the meantime it's a hundred bucks more than when I first looked at it :cry: And it ain't cheap :!:

BB,
SK
Yea, you get what you pay for often. That stuff looks nice. Maybe a good investment. If I was making a custom cover, that's what I would use.

My new 30x20 tarp cost about $90. I got it from the same ranch supply house I got the last one 4 years ago. This time I plan on protecting it from mast hardware that cut through the old one.

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:17 pm

But...how long and how many PVC pipes? :)

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Length is variable - depends on how much 'loft' you want in your tarp... I'd go for as much as you can so you can walk under it (albeit crouched). For number, I use 4.

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:34 pm

RussMT wrote:
mastreb wrote:Planning on making my own custom cover out of sunbrella.
What you describe sound very nice...and very expensive. Love Sunbrella material, but it's pricey. You have to post some pics when you are done. That would be nice to see.
Yeah, sunbrella is expensive. I calculate I'll need 18 yards of 54" Navy, which runs $17/yard. So that's a little over $300 in fabric alone--at Sailrite's prices. Likely from a loft It'll be double that. But all the pre-made covers I've seen are quite expensive and less useful, so I'm just going to bite the bullet.

dlandersson
Admiral

Re: 26x winter cover - jugs or tie line

Post by dlandersson » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:55 am

I understand jugs (hanging by line from the tarp) can work well to prevent "tarp whip" on the boat. Are 1/2 gallons jugs OK - or must I use 1 gallon jugs? :)

RussMT
Admiral

Re: 26x winter cover - jugs or tie line

Post by RussMT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:00 am

dlandersson wrote:I understand jugs (hanging by line from the tarp) can work well to prevent "tarp whip" on the boat. Are 1/2 gallons jugs OK - or must I use 1 gallon jugs? :)
I've seen people use the gallon jugs. I don't think they would work for me as we get lots of winds and I would fear them flopping around hitting things or freezing and bursting.

I just finished covering my boat last weekend. The 30x20 cover was perfect size and I used 5 PVC 10' pipes. 2 of them are strapped to the stanchions and the others are "pinched" behind the "gutter rail" on top of the deck. I pulled the lifelines up tight and wrapped tape around them and the pipes. The downward tension on the lifelines keeps the pipes from lifting off. I used a rag so the tape doesn't stick to the lifelines. They stayed nicely and then I pulled the cover over the whole mess. Oh yea, this year I placed carpet scraps over the top of the stanchions and sharp stuffs on the mast.

Then, I simply laced the cover under the trailer pulling tight and knotting every few grommets. This has worked well for 4 years. Eventually the lace gets slack from stretch, but is tight enough to keep it from moving. It also wraps under the boat keeping air from getting under the tarp and lifting it up.
We get some wicket winds here in the winter 50+mph for days and my storage lot is in the bottom of the valley with nothing protecting it from wind. Fortunately my boat is sandwiched between 2 RVs but that only does so much.

Look at this picture to see the laced line under the trailer. It sags a bit but can't go anywhere. Jugs could shift and the whole tarp move to one side. I don't like that idea.
(click to enlarge)

--Russ

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:23 am

I have had good success with the following way to cover my :macm: the past two winters.

I raise the mast, lash a stout pole to the trailer ladder/boat bow, and tie a smaller pole to the aft mast support with a PVC tee setup on the base to spread the load in the motor well.
To these poles, I tie a ridge line. I lash two 7 foot by 30 foot tarps (such as these http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/tw07x30c.html) to this ridge with most of the overhang at the stern. The tarps overhange the lifelines on the side. I use the topping lift to provide an intermediate support to the ridge line midway between the mast and the stern.
I lash the bottom edges of the tarp to lines lines anchored to the trailer

I also add a 4x6 foot tarp at the stern to make sure the motor is covered and there is room to get into the boat via the stern ladder.

End result is a strong "tent" with a steep enough slope to shed snow. Also good air movement below the tarp, no tarp directly contacting the painted sides (I have one of the fast and good looking blue boats 8) ), and good access to the topside of the boat. Materials to store off season are a few tarps (white reinforced ones), two poles, and a bunch of line - most of which stays on the boat. The only boat rigging exposed to the elements are the main halyard and the topping lift. Last winter I even left the genoa on the furler - and covered with a sock type canvas cover. Total cost of materials less than $70.

I also string X-mas lights up the mast.

Last, I keep a small ceramic heater on low to keep the inside of the boat above freezing and dry. I also add antifreeze to the freshwater system and fog the ETEC-60.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Hmmmpf...can a Mac 26M be blue AND fast? :P
RobertB wrote:I have one of the fast and good looking blue boats 8.
Last edited by dlandersson on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm

I might also add that I place a small 2x4 with a notched V at the mast step to provide extra support for the mast in the center. This way the weight doesn't bend it.

--Russ

Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Hello,
I purchased a light duty truck tarp, still pretty heavy stuff though, which they custom cut and shipped to me. Been using it for 15 years. I did have to patch it where pointy things snagged during the winter when my pointy protection fell out. :)
Since it is very wet here during the winter, I leave the ends somewhat open so air can circulate.

The SS Otter all tucked away in her winter palace.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:15 am

What size PVC pipe? 3/4", 1" ? etc. :P
kmclemore wrote:Length is variable - depends on how much 'loft' you want in your tarp... I'd go for as much as you can so you can walk under it (albeit crouched). For number, I use 4.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:49 am

dlandersson wrote:What size PVC pipe? 3/4", 1" ? etc. :P
kmclemore wrote:Length is variable - depends on how much 'loft' you want in your tarp... I'd go for as much as you can so you can walk under it (albeit crouched). For number, I use 4.
I used 3/4" but I should think either would do fine.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:08 pm

I just used 1" - first time. Seemed to have a tendency to bend - not helped by the person "helping" me trying to force it. Could not get one to fit in the rear - mast is simply too high already.

Seemed to make a nice cover.

I may try 3/4" next time. 8)
kmclemore wrote:
dlandersson wrote:What size PVC pipe? 3/4", 1" ? etc. :P
I used 3/4" but I should think either would do fine.

prishi
Chief Steward
Location: Rockland County, New York (Haverstraw Marina, R. Hudson)

Post by prishi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:08 pm

I don't have a winter cover yet and am planning to get one fabricated for my New York weather.

However, I think the cover should be a two-part cover:
* One part covering the boat from the stem, running all the way back over the forward hatch, the mast step, the cabin hatch and folding down over the crown of the companion way entrance. This way the cabin stays well covered and there is reduced chance of vermin or weather entering the saloon. Also, it keeps the trapped heat inside.
* The second part should start from the crown of the companionway, then go upwards over to the Mast, and then stay over the Mast all the way to the transom, falling down the couple of feet over the Stern Seats. This removes any need for building a frame-work of wood or pipes for snow slip-off.
Tie-down will be by bungee cords or simple rope grommets. A zipper door for winter access would be nice.

Along with these two pieces, there should be a cover for the Motor, all the way to the propellor. If this can be an insulated, waterproof cover, that would be better, I don't think there's a possibility of mold growing on the engine/propellor.

Also, a long cover for the Furler/Jib is a something in the plans.

Cheers!