A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Whipsyjac
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: White Rock, B.C. 96 26X Hull#486 96Merc ELPT 50HP 4 Stroke

Re: 26x winter cover

Post by Whipsyjac » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Well, we had our first West Coast windstorm with gusts to 90k/55mph.

Here's what happened to my noodely boat cover(Version 2.0):

And here's version 2.1:

Storms are moving in tonight...actually Gale which is just lower than storm here...60k/35mph

I'll keep you updated, but I'm wishing I'd made a little more investment already; like a Stimson Bow roof shed.

Willy

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:19 am

For the past six winters, I've used a wood supported bow-frame system for my boat tarp (ref. archives). This year, influenced by RussMT & Whipsyjac's unsupported bows, I rigged mine the same way, but then reverted back to my support frame as I didn't have faith that the "noodly" PVC frames would be enough alone. Here are some pics & words of what I did...

Using 2x3 lumber, I built three verticle supports for a 30' horizontal strongback made of double-layered 1x3 strapping.

My previous PVC bows were actually 'half-bows', 3/4' x 10' PVC pipes that attached at the top to Tee fittings along the strongback. This year I made complete bows by adding five foot lengths at each end of the original 10' length, thus making 20' bows = five bow frames spaced 5ft apart, duct taped to the strongback. Along the boat's waterline runs 1"x25' PVC pipe to which the bow ends are secured with 'snap-tees'. Between each bows are four (two each side) spacer ribs of 3/4" PVC attached with snap-tees to help the tarp maintain intended shape between the bows.

With the addition of a strongback frame, the PVC bows are strong & flexible without being undesirably noodly.
Additional pics:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8207/8233 ... 3c6c3f.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8235 ... dbd185.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8485/8235 ... 8db0ba.jpg

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:21 am

Wow! I'm surprised you don't get hobo's living under those elaborate structures! :D

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:53 am

SSSHHHHHHHhhhhhh... :!: :wink:

RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RobertB » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:30 pm

RobertB wrote:I have had good success with the following way to cover my :macm: the past two winters.

I raise the mast, lash a stout pole to the trailer ladder/boat bow, and tie a smaller pole to the aft mast support with a PVC tee setup on the base to spread the load in the motor well.
To these poles, I tie a ridge line. I lash two 7 foot by 30 foot tarps (such as these http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/tw07x30c.html) to this ridge with most of the overhang at the stern. The tarps overhange the lifelines on the side. I use the topping lift to provide an intermediate support to the ridge line midway between the mast and the stern.
I lash the bottom edges of the tarp to lines lines anchored to the trailer

I also add a 4x6 foot tarp at the stern to make sure the motor is covered and there is room to get into the boat via the stern ladder.

End result is a strong "tent" with a steep enough slope to shed snow. Also good air movement below the tarp, no tarp directly contacting the painted sides (I have one of the fast and good looking blue boats 8) ), and good access to the topside of the boat. Materials to store off season are a few tarps (white reinforced ones), two poles, and a bunch of line - most of which stays on the boat. The only boat rigging exposed to the elements are the main halyard and the topping lift. Last winter I even left the genoa on the furler - and covered with a sock type canvas cover. Total cost of materials less than $70.

I also string X-mas lights up the mast.

Last, I keep a small ceramic heater on low to keep the inside of the boat above freezing and dry. I also add antifreeze to the freshwater system and fog the ETEC-60.
Finally have pictures of how I cover the boat for the winter:

And at night - glad the store had BLUE lights - white lights would have looked so ......slow. :)

henecle
Deckhand

Post by henecle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Decided to take the plunge and order a full winter cover from The Sail Warehouse specifically made for a 26X :macx: . Price was $795.00 plus shipping. Easy to put on single-handed, all I had to add was some split tennis balls for the spreader ends and stanchions and the tie down lines. So far it’s working great. We recently had a wind storm in the DC area of 50-60 mph gusts; I checked her afterwards and couldn't tell that it had moved at all! :)

Leif

Port side

Starboard side

sailfish02
Chief Steward

Post by sailfish02 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Ahoy ! is your boat cover still in one piece ? do you still have your MAC ?

thanks