A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Mikex
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Anchors and anchor rollers

Post by Mikex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Everyone,
Another question: we're looking at purchasing a new anchor. No. 1 choice so far is a Rocna anchor, 22 lbs.

First question: is this the correct weight for our 26x?

Next question: which is the best anchor roller that will fit on the 26x that is suitable for a 22 lb anchor?

Many thanks in advance,
Mike & Lise

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Anchors and anchor rollers

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:49 pm

It is according to Rocna, but they say up front that they size them for most conditions, which means it's big for light to medium work. I had a 22 lb Bruce on my 12,000 lb 34 ft Hunter, and it was just fine, even in a blow. Looked small on the bow roller, though, and I kept a much larger one in reserve, ready to go with chain and three-strand rode, just in case.

Something in between the 22 lb and the 13 lb would probably be just about right for all but the nastiest conditions, I would think, but they don't make one that size. So I'd go with the 22 lb. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, and I use a much lighter and smaller Danforth anchor on my :macx: as I don't anchor out overnight (just a glorified lunch hook), but again, I keep a large, heavy anchor, chain, and three-strand rode ready to go, stored below. Just in case. And you should always have a spare of some sort. Just in case. :wink:

dxg4848
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by dxg4848 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:19 pm

I am installing Lewmar Pro-Sport 550 windlass:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... WN2KpNqna4

And I am going with 14 lb Lewmar Delta anchor part# 0057406:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... WN33pNqna4

And with Lewmar bow roller for delta anchors part# 66840008:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... WN4O5Nqna4

And I am connecting delta anchor to chain using this swivel:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... WN55pNqna4

From what I understand delta anchor with swivel chain connection comes in straight into a bow roller.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:55 pm

http://catalogs.westmarine.com/WebProje ... okCode=wmm#

Mikex,

This link takes you to the West Marine index page for its Ecatalog. Look at where anchors are listed and left click on it. This will take you to a page which explains what I believe you are looking for. You can see what works best for the bottom you mostly anchor in.

Ray

cptron
Captain
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:39 am

Mikex,
We use a 22 lb rocna on our 26M and have not found an occasion where is has not worked. Although I'm sure there is one it's just we haven't found it yet. We have been using this anchor now for 1 1/2 years and not drug one bit. The wonderful help we got at WM was that these type anchors work best with the bow rollers that have 2 rollers as it helps to lock it in place. I just pull it up and it automatically slides into the roller correctly each and every time. I have about 20 feet of chain on it but am going to cut that in half and use the other half on the new spare danforth that we recently purchased.
All in all I think you will be very happy with the Rocna.
Ron and Cindy
s/v Storm Walker

dxg4848
First Officer

Post by dxg4848 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:42 am

cptron wrote:Mikex,
We use a 22 lb rocna on our 26M
According to WM 22lb rocna anchor is rated for 23 - 36 feet boats and costs $269.99. At the same time 14lb Lewmar delta anchor is rated for 21 - 31 feet boats and costs $139.99. So Lewmar delta compared to rocna is much lighter and less expensive.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 am

dxg4848 wrote:
cptron wrote:Mikex,
We use a 22 lb rocna on our 26M
According to WM 22lb rocna anchor is rated for 23 - 36 feet boats and costs $269.99. At the same time 14lb Lewmar delta anchor is rated for 21 - 31 feet boats and costs $139.99. So Lewmar delta compared to rocna is much lighter and less expensive.
And along those lines, but mostly because I'm bored and just feel like carrying this further, the 16.5 lb Lewmar Claw is rated (again per WM's listing) for 24-30 ft boats, and only costs $67.99. :D They're popular around these lakes, and I've never had one slip or fail to set right away (sand, or muddy sand). I keep an 11 lb Claw for a stern hook (mostly because I already had it laying around), to reduce anchor sailing, something my boat is particularly fond of. :|

I've never tried a Bruce/Claw in weeds, but I don't think they're terribly well suited for that sort of work. Not pointy enough.

What was the question again? :wink:

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:42 am

We used a 22 lb claw on our S and wanted a second anchor and went with a 25 lb. Manson Supreme.

The claw has only drug once and that was probably less than 25 feet and the Manson has never drug. This in over 125 anchorings from Canada to Florida. I would not go with anything less than the 22 lb. claw. The Manson was expensive, but we can go to sleep in any conditions and wake up in the same spot in the morning. What is that worth? It just takes one time out in really bad conditions to be real happy with the decision to oversize your anchoring gear. I see people spend hundreds of dollars staying in Marinas, but won't spend $300-$400 on good anchor gear.

We also run 25-30 feet of chain which is just as important as the anchor itself. We also often put the two anchors down if the weather looks bad at all. You don't want to be dealing with a bad situation in the dark at 2 in the morning. The first thing we bought for the Endeavour was a 35 lb. Manson. Check the anchor tests and you will see that they are very highly rated.

I'd also recommend a bow roller with two rollers. That is what I copied and made...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... ng-16.html

Sum

===================================
Our MacGregor 26-S

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

dxg4848
First Officer

Post by dxg4848 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 am

tkanzler wrote: And along those lines, but mostly because I'm bored and just feel like carrying this further, the 16.5 lb Lewmar Claw is rated (again per WM's listing) for 24-30 ft boats, and only costs $67.99. :D
Good point! :) The reason I go with delta is because I am installing a windlass and I need my anchor to come in the right way into the bow roller. I might be wrong, but from what I read delta on swivel works well with windlass and right bow roller. This is what Lewmar recommends to use with windlasses.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 am

dxg4848 wrote:
tkanzler wrote:And along those lines, but mostly because I'm bored and just feel like carrying this further, the 16.5 lb Lewmar Claw is rated (again per WM's listing) for 24-30 ft boats, and only costs $67.99. :D
Good point! :) The reason I go with delta is because I am installing a windlass and I need my anchor to come in the right way into the bow roller. I might be wrong, but from what I read delta on swivel works well with windlass and right bow roller. This is what Lewmar recommends to use with windlasses.
I honestly don't know, but I do know that the 22 lb Bruce I had would pull up nicely by itself onto the bow roller when sitting on the deck and hand-over-handing the rode. But it may not be suitable for a windlass for reasons I'm not aware of. It would stink to have the anchor get hung up on the roller and do some damage up there, for sure. :(

Let us know what you get, and how it works for you. 8)

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 am

tkanzler wrote: I do know that the 22 lb Bruce I had would pull up nicely by itself onto the bow roller when sitting on the deck and hand-over-handing the rode.
Yes it does. The 22lb claw is almost too big for the roller. I have to lift the rode hatch a bit to close it on the chain. Same exact working anchor I had on the Hunter 34. Never failed me on that boat and the Mac is SO much lighter. A 16lb claw would work fine also, but larger helps me sleep with less worry.

Best anchor types are widely debated. So many choices and all have valid claims. Much depends on where you use it. As mentioned, chain is critical to add weight, don't skimp on that. For me, the Claw fits nice, holds well and is fairly easy to pull up.
Honestly, I wouldn't trust a windlass on such a small boat. All that weight and battery power just to lift an anchor, no thanks. Our boats are very small and so are our anchors. But to each his own.

--Russ

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:12 am

Mikex,

We all have our opinions on what works, and I respect the opinions of this board,but I like independent studies when available. This one may be of interest to you?

Ray
http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-ancho ... esting.php

P.S. These anchors are far heavier than what most of us would use on our boats

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 pm

RussMT wrote:...As mentioned, chain is critical to add weight, don't skimp on that....
--Russ
Just to help clarify, the object of the chain is not to add weight, rather to change the angle that the rode pulls on the anchor, thereby giving the anchor better bite without having to increasing scope.

~Rich

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 pm

NiceAft wrote:We all have our opinions on what works, and I respect the opinions of this board,but I like independent studies when available. This one may be of interest to you?

Ray
http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-ancho ... esting.php

P.S. These anchors are far heavier than what most of us would use on our boats
That's pretty interesting stuff in there. The Rocna consistently comes out at or near the top, and the Bruce/Claw at or near the bottom. I guess I'll stop suggesting the Claw (original Bruce isn't made any more), since the few data points I have on it are only from using it on my boat, in Lake Ontario bottoms, and without subjecting it to gale force winds. :| But my baby claw is and will continue to be useful to snub anchor sailing. 8)

Glad you posted that, though. I've always been rather suspicious of most of the anchor testing I see reported. I'm also just a naturally suspicious person. :wink: :D

p.s. If I still had the big boat, I'd still be using the Bruce that came with it. And I'd still have a big boy in reserve, just in case. I just wouldn't want to have to deal with a 45 lb lump (plus chain) if I didn't have to. I'm not getting any younger, you know. :(

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Hey, eight years ago I wish I had this info also. I have a Lewmar Delta as my main, and a Danforth as my back up. I have never had problems, but it would have been nice to have been better informed.

This should be the worst thing to ever happen to anyone.

Ray