Weight of 26 x helm seat for lift

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Bill McClure
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Weight of 26 x helm seat for lift

Post by Bill McClure » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:21 am

I'm tired of the stock helm seat on my 26 X dropping shut on my fingers. Anyone know how much it weighs? I'm planning on adding a gas strut lift to keep it up when I open it, and some type of latch or catch to keep it closed when it's down. I'd weight mine, but it's 100 miles away.

Thanks,

Bill
Seattle

* Just took the internet crash course in gas struts. Apparently I also need the length of the seat. Knew I should have paid more attention in high school physics.
Last edited by Bill McClure on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spector
First Officer

Re: Weight of 26 x helm seat for lift

Post by Spector » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:32 am

You might try Blue Water, they list it in there parts list but don't give a weight on-line. They say call for a shipping quote so they must know the weight

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:50 am

Mine weighs in at 19 lbs.
Apparently I also need the length of the seat.
At which point? The dimension you seek depends where you intend to mount the strut. The seat bottom length is 31", whereas the cockpit span under the seat at that point is 28.5". The seatback length is 37.75" and the span under that area is 36".

FWIW... When my bimini is not deployed, I usually tuck the raised seat under the bimini frame - therefore both the seat and bimini are out of the way for aft passage. I also have a leash attached to the seat that hooks onto the lifeline to keep the seat up.

Retcoastie
Captain

Post by Retcoastie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Our seat has a snap hook attached by a lanyard at the starboard side. I don't know why it is there or if it is OEM. I added a loop of string around the port lifeline that I attach the snap hook to when the seat is up and the belt clip of a portable VHF when underway with the seat down.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Love the doggy ladder LOL. :D

Steve K
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Steve K » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:30 am

When I owned an X boat I removed the seat altogether.
The boat was more functional without it. I love the extra room and the full-time opened transom. Access to the outboard and boarding ladder was improved and it was much easier to move about the cockpit. I always used to sit on one side or the other anyway so the seat was just a bother. The cockpit seemed twice as big without the seat.
This combined with decking over the rudder/ob linkage (a number of examples in the Mods section) adds a whole new feeling to the boat.
All X owners........ try it and see if it works for you :wink:

Best Breezes,
SK

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:13 am

I agree about seat removal. When I'm out solo, I prefer it off for same reasons. Wife however, needs it on as she is a behind-the-wheel driver.

capncarp
Engineer

Post by capncarp » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Our seat has a snap hook attached by a lanyard at the starboard side. I don't know why it is there .

The lanyard is stock. It attaches to the port lifeline when the helm seat is up.

capncarp
Engineer

Post by capncarp » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:38 pm

I have to agree with Steve K. I've owned my X for 14 years and have found the boat roomier and more comfortable with the helm seat removed. It is much,much easier and safer to move around with it gone.
capncarp,
:macx:

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:27 pm

I know this is opposite to what most of you are discussing, but one interesting trick with the X boat is sliding the companion way hatch up under the helm seat. It seems to fit pretty perfectly and I doubt that was by accident. When you do that, you can block out a lot of the engine noise coming into the cockpit as well as make it safer for small children or pets.

Steve K
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Steve K » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa wrote:I know this is opposite to what most of you are discussing, but one interesting trick with the X boat is sliding the companion way hatch up under the helm seat. It seems to fit pretty perfectly and I doubt that was by accident. When you do that, you can block out a lot of the engine noise coming into the cockpit as well as make it safer for small children or pets.

What engine noise.............. you're supposed to be sailing :wink:

You are right. I did exactly that before removing the seat. I hate the OB noise, even the little 8hp on my D boat. I'd get one of those 6hp electrics, if I could afford it.
Before I sold my X I was actually going to get rid of the big OB and put a little kicker back there. Didn't really use the Big OB much anymore.
Side note:
Knew a fellow with an eight or ten hp 4 stroke on his X. It seemed to me like sailing performance was much improved.

Best Breezes,
SK

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Nah, the big engine is the advantage of the 26X and 26M 8) ...if you want to have a small kicker, get a 26D or 26S IMO....better sailing boats, much less expensive, etc. That is the other thing to consider if you put a small engine on a power sailor...reselability. And btw, having the big 4-cyl 50 on the stern is not just for going fast...sure helps a lot in a strong current too. I've been in 4-5 knot currents where the sailboats with the small motors can not even make any headway...no such problem with my 50.. And also, you can use it to overpower the sails in a pinch too.

I do actually motor sail quite a bit on cruises..like when I need to charge the batteries or augment my speed just a bit. Like if the wind is only enough to push the boat at 3.5 knots and I really want to make 5-6 knots to get some place before dark, etc. Still saves a lot of gas over pure motoring. And the motor goes into gear a lot nicer when the prop is already spinning due to the sail power too... This is also where I prefer the 4-stroke over a 2-stroke too...I know they are a lot different than the old days, but it still "feels" righter (yea, bad grammar) going slow with a 4-stroke. Kinda like a 2-stroke just 'wants' to open up and scream...like the dirt bikes I had when I was a teen. :D

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:36 pm

I have to agree with Steve K. I've owned my X for 14 years and have found the boat roomier and more comfortable with the helm seat removed. It is much,much easier and safer to move around with it gone.
capncarp,
:macx:
We also liked no seat much better than stock. Ended up taking it a little farther and moved the helm up and back, then mounted a new seat on top the old seatback. Very happy with it. Comfy and easy to see over the roof when seated, and works as a leaning post..

Bill McClure
Chief Steward

Post by Bill McClure » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks for all of the replies, esp. the weight and length. Found a site that show the mounting distances for various lengths of strut to open to 90 degrees. No plans to take the seat off. It serves other functions incl. holding the cabin door drop boards.

That's a fine looking boat, K9. You must have a very happy dog.

Thanks,

Bill