MacTrawler Avatar

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: MacTrawler Avatar

Post by dlandersson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:29 pm

I'd like one for vet-owned Mac's. I don't know what it should look like - but I'll know it when I see it. :P
Hamin' X wrote:I guess that after Heath does the trawler, he will have to do a cutter rigged for J? :(

~Rich

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:09 pm

! kmclemore:
The avatars have not been added because they do not represent an actual current or historic MacGregor or Tattoo brand of boat. The Tattoo avatars were added because we reached an agreement with Tattoo Yachts to use their trademarked logos and artwork, and as such to become their 'forum of choice' and provide the same high quality of support we have offered MacGregor owners for many years.

I'm sorry if it causes hurt feelings, but I think it is unlikely that we will install any other avatars which do not represent official Mac or Tattoo offerings.

RGF
Engineer

Post by RGF » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:25 am

I would think the main reason that there might be hurt feelings is because it took this long to learn the truth after all of the "reasons why it is so hard to do" . Sorry trawler guys, not fair imo. :?

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:44 am

It wasn't a case of 'learning the truth'. It was a case of determining the correct action to take after considerable thought and discussion had taken place.

I'm sorry if you feel it is unfair. I see it as the reasonable course to take after allowing all voices to be heard and to consider all options.

That being said, yes, changes to the board do often take time due to difficulty and due to scheduling and other issues. The owner of the forum, who is the only one who can make such changes, has many things going on in his life and yet he provides this forum to us at no cost, so I'm not inclined to bother him with issues unless absolutely necessary. Also, I've had a particularly difficult issue to deal with in my personal life which has had me otherwise engaged and unable to monitor the forum and deal with issues as well as I might have ordinarily. This all leads to a delay sometimes, and it has nothing to do with fairness.

RGF
Engineer

Post by RGF » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:38 am

The reason that I think it is unfair is because I don't think "The avatars have not been added because they do not represent an actual current or historic MacGregor or Tattoo brand of boat" was just decided recently and should've been stated earlier, unless of course you and Heath recently discussed this. If that is so, I think stating that would go a long way to promoting a better understanding by the trawler guys after they waited so long for an answer.
As there was so much talk about how HARD a new avatar is to program, etc. "the truth" is it had nothing to do with programming difficulty but the site owner's wishes (which is totally understandable and acceptable - IT IS HIS to do with as he pleases!)
Also easily understood is difficult personal life situations (like we all have at one time or another especially at some of our ages) that take time away from the board for both you and Heath. My first thought would be that maybe Heath could allow another moderator co-admin power to help ease his load and yours during these difficult times. But then again, maybe not. :?
I don't have a trawler or need a trawler avatar, just a forum member on the sidelines making observations as we all do. I got no dog in this fight. :|

JohnCFI
First Officer

Post by JohnCFI » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:28 pm

So the truth is out!!! and it does not reflect any of the BS we have all been fed since March 7th.

And yet it was OK to support a stupid flag with a RV on it!!

And yet THIS is supposed to be the site for ALL MACS and their Mods and a place for ALL to show what they have achieved with a Mac

But hold on......

Only if it fits the site owners personal vision!!

SO DISCRIMINATION ON THIS SITE IS JUST AS BAD AS ON ANY OTHER.

I am disgusted!! and perhaps I didn't bring much to the site, now I guess I won't lose much after this post gets me kicked out!!

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Bearing mind that this site is free for the average user, a LOT of work goes on behind the scenes that the users never see.

The moderators have to draw a "line in the sand" somewhere. If your biggest problem is a particular avatar, and you are seriously incensed by the issue - then you seriously need to consider getting a life. :wink:

Obelix
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Obelix » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:01 pm

@dlandersson, well put :)

Obelix

JohnCFI
First Officer

Post by JohnCFI » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:09 pm

dlandersson wrote:Bearing mind that this site is free for the average user, a LOT of work goes on behind the scenes that the users never see.

The moderators have to draw a "line in the sand" somewhere. If your biggest problem is a particular avatar, and you are seriously incensed by the issue - then you seriously need to consider getting a life. :wink:
If your biggest problem is a particular avatar, and you are seriously incensed by the issue - then you seriously need to consider getting a life

Quite the contrary, my biggest issue is Honesty and Truth, if that had all been said up front I really would not have an issue, as it stands nearly six months of lies and BS really does not impress and I feel we are owed an apology. And to be frank, If the job is too much for folk to manage then perhaps they should not take it on and hide behind 'being the owner' we deal with it on other boards by bringing in more volunteers. And again I WOULD have been happy to make a donation to running costs, I do on a number of other sites including a few that I moderate.

And seriously if you cannot see that then you too need a lesson in humanity and courtesy!!

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:14 pm

JohnCFI wrote:And yet it was OK to support a stupid flag with a RV on it!!

I am disgusted!! and perhaps I didn't bring much to the site, now I guess I won't lose much after this post gets me kicked out!!
Yes, you are very close to getting the boot. But, before you get the heave-ho for breaking the rules, please show me where there is an avatar, or smilie on the board with an RV as part of it; and if you can find it (you won't), one that had Heath's involvement.

I would like to remind all that there is very little tolerance for arguing with moderators on this board. If anyone does not like the rules of this board, they are certainly free to not participate, but all members are expected to follow the rules. These rules are set by the owner of the website and are not open to negotiation. Any further squabbling will result in disciplinary action.

~Rich

JohnCFI
First Officer

Post by JohnCFI » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:19 pm

My Reference was to Kmcelmores support of the 'Official' flag proposal of a while ago.

Don't bother with the boot, I'm outa here..

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Kevin and Russ' burgee project had nothing to do with The forum and was a private project.

See ya.

~Rich

kmclemore
Site Admin

Post by kmclemore » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:14 pm

The burgee was just a fun thing to do for the Annapolis Boat Show and had absolutely nothing to do with the forum. As Rich said, if you can find any icon, avatar or other artwork used in the management or operations of this forum that is not based on an official Mac or Tattoo boat model, I ask that you point it out.

The decision was not made months ago. It was made recently when I finally had the time (given my own personal issues) to read through all the responses, weigh this against the work it would take to add it and the aggro for Heath, and to make what I thought was a fair and reasonable decision on a way forward.
And yet THIS is supposed to be the site for ALL MACS and their Mods and a place for ALL to show what they have achieved with a Mac
Yes, and it still is that sort of site. However, if someone makes a mod to a Mac that includes painting their boat chartreuse, removing the decks and adding oars and a coxswain, then should we also make an avatar for them as well? Or yet another special avatar for those with a bimini? And still another for those with a hammock on the forward bow? How about one for each of the different colours? How many different avatars should we make, and where would we draw the line?
Only if it fits the site owners personal vision!!
No, actually, it fits the manufacturer's personal vision. MacGregor and Tattoo exclusively sold (and still sell) either 'powersailors' or pure sailboats only. Neither MacGregor or Tattoo ever sold a boat designed to be a 'trawler' with no mast or sails, and very likely never will. So this has absolutely nothing to do with my own view or the view of any moderator or the owner of the site. It has to do with the purpose of this site - to support and provide a community for actual factory-supplied MacGregor and Tattoo Yachts.

You may disagree, and that's fine - respectful and courteous disagreement is perfectly acceptable. However, name-calling and baiting others by accusing them of lying and spreading 'BS' will not be tolerated, and never has been. That's why many folks enjoy this forum - the majority of members behave in a gentlemanly (or ladylike) manner and those who do not are either asked to change their behaviour or leave. You seem to have made the choice to leave, and that is your prerogative. Seems a somewhat silly and insignificant reason to leave an otherwise very helpful group, but there you are.

RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RobertB » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:25 pm

On the other hand,
I maintain that blue hulls are faster, only Danforth anchors on all rope rode are best, boats are best trailered with ballast in behind a Ford Fiesta on a trailer with three axles with brakes only on the left side. And lastly, for best downwind performance, use the main halyard to raise a yardarm made of a whisker pole for a low dollar square rig conversion.

(EDIT) Or instead of a whisker pole, Mastreb can use his boathook that that is big enough to use as a whale harpoon :)
Last edited by RobertB on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kmclemore
Site Admin

Post by kmclemore » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:44 pm

I'm right behind ya, Robert! :D