1997 Ballast valve missing?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

eaglerocknerd
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

1997 Ballast valve missing?

Post by eaglerocknerd » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:04 am

I am trying to familiarize myself with my new boat by going through the manual(s) provided on here.

I have a 1997 26X. When I get to the section on filling the ballast it mentions that there is a plunger type valve beside the ballast vent under the entryway step.

However I don't have this plunger (see image). The PO just said that they removed the vent plug, opened the transom valve (the one that looks like a holding tank gate) and closed it off once the tank was full.

Does this seem correct to you all? If so, I suppose the emptying under way procedure would be the same except I would need to power away when the transom valve and vent are open.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Ed
http://s668.photobucket.com/user/eagler ... t.jpg.html

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: 1997 Ballast valve missing?

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:36 am

I wouldn't say it's 'missing' - mine doesn't even have that vent, but it's a '99. They did away with the fill/drain under the step at some point, then the vent under the step (mine is under the v-berth), and then they did away with the step and used a ladder. :D I think mine is one of the last with that step.

I use it to hold the registration and canal lock and bridge transit permit and other such papers, in a water tight box. If not for that, I'd have no reason to ever remove the step, though it would be easier to get to the stern berth with a fold-up ladder, but I've got what I've got, and I'm going to use it the way I got it. :P

eaglerocknerd
Just Enlisted

Post by eaglerocknerd » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:31 am

So to fill/empty it I just remove the vent plug and then open the transom valve, then replace the vent plug when I am finished?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:37 pm

eaglerocknerd wrote:So to fill/empty it I just remove the vent plug and then open the transom valve, then replace the vent plug when I am finished?
And close the transom valve. Never operate with ballast in and either valve open. The tank has to be completely full, or completely empty, and if full, both valves shut. If empty, I usually leave the vent open, but obviously the fill/drain valve has to be shut or it will fill. Or drain (when you don't want it to).

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:The tank has to be completely full, or completely empty
I fill and empty, but it hadn't occurred to me that it might be bad to do only a 3/4ths-a$$ed job.

Is that because of sloshing?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:11 pm

It's because, as far as I can figure the geometry, the boat can become bi-stable. It may heel, and stay there. Or go all the way over. And stay there. If you've ever driven a something with a partly filled tank on it (like a tanker truck, or wheelbarrow partly filled with water), you'd know what I mean - with it moving around, it's hard to control, and very unpredictable until it goes to one side and takes off. And that doesn't count hull shape, which moves the center of buoyancy around as the boat heels, with the center of mass moving around at the same time, rather than in a predictable fashion, as when the ballast is fixed (either a filled water tank, or lead, or both, plus the boat's mass).

JohnCFI
First Officer

Post by JohnCFI » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Your setup is exactly the same as mine. You need to fill by opening the gate valve at the Stern, it fills quicker if you also open the vent under the step. When the Ballast is full (NEVER PART FULL) Close the Stern Valve, and then the Step Vent. The water level at full should be within 3" of the top at the step vent. Later models have no vent under the step, its at the bow somewhere, I think..
eaglerocknerd wrote:I am trying to familiarize myself with my new boat by going through the manual(s) provided on here.

I have a 1997 26X. When I get to the section on filling the ballast it mentions that there is a plunger type valve beside the ballast vent under the entryway step.

However I don't have this plunger (see image). The PO just said that they removed the vent plug, opened the transom valve (the one that looks like a holding tank gate) and closed it off once the tank was full.

Does this seem correct to you all? If so, I suppose the emptying under way procedure would be the same except I would need to power away when the transom valve and vent are open.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Ed
http://s668.photobucket.com/user/eagler ... t.jpg.html

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:58 pm

JohnCFI wrote: Later models have no vent under the step, its at the bow somewhere, I think..
Right where the v-berth starts, a bit to the port side of center, under that first cover under the cushion. A large round cup with the vent and plug in the middle, which also makes a convenient place to leave the plug while draining or filling the ballast tank. I never have to go looking for it. :D :wink: