tohatsu Cable - select reverse, move forward.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

133bhp
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

tohatsu Cable - select reverse, move forward.

Post by 133bhp » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:39 am

I've had another bout of the above, this time, not a broken cable, but i suspect, the constant up/down tilting had been wearing the gear cable stop bracket, so it slipped out. Lucky I caught it exiting my pontoon and jumped off and saved it.

looking at the part below; the gear cable seems to be held in place in the indent ring on the cable purely by the jacket of the throttle cable by its side. There is a small threaded hole by/above the gear stop, does anyone with a tohatsu know if this held anything to keep the gear cable captive?

http://next-vl.ru/index.php?productID=3 ... uct&did=34

Boblee
Admiral

Re: tohatsu Cable - select reverse, move forward.

Post by Boblee » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:24 pm

If I am reading it right this can happen on the etec controller too and I didn't notice it even when it locked in forward flat out while powering onto the trailer.
It was only found when I took the boat over to the dealer for the yearly physical and they had to replace the broken bits and fix the damaged wires, while I can fix and diagnose most things, when it's important I will get a second opinion as you tend to not notice some things as they get progressively worse.

JohnCFI
First Officer

Post by JohnCFI » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:00 am

On mine there is a machine screw through the hole, which separates the two cables keeping them in place.

133bhp wrote:I've had another bout of the above, this time, not a broken cable, but i suspect, the constant up/down tilting had been wearing the gear cable stop bracket, so it slipped out. Lucky I caught it exiting my pontoon and jumped off and saved it.

looking at the part below; the gear cable seems to be held in place in the indent ring on the cable purely by the jacket of the throttle cable by its side. There is a small threaded hole by/above the gear stop, does anyone with a tohatsu know if this held anything to keep the gear cable captive?

http://next-vl.ru/index.php?productID=3 ... uct&did=34

captronr
Engineer

Post by captronr » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:06 am

I've had my first issue with the 50hp tldi Tohastu (2007 model). First time out this year, the key was acting weird, like the whole housing was turning. Heading back in, the ignition ceased working. Since all else seemed fine before, I assumed it was the ignition switch.

Ordered it from a local dealer, and five days later, it arrived. Headed back to the boat (four hours away). Figured the switch would be an easy swap, but was very worried about getting all the shift and throttle linkages in the right spots on reassembly.

It was a well founded worry. Ignition swap took 15 minutes, and spent 6 hours over two days fighting to try to find the right combination of shift/throttle linkage. Never did get a working solution.

Of course, couldn't find any schematics on the remote. The Tohatsu parts books just shows the remote as an assembly--ugh!

Hooked up with a repairman, who will be out in another 5-10 days. Hopefully, all he has to do is assemble it correctly and we'll be good to go.

Anyone know if the service manual has a detailed description of the remote? I might order one just in case. But I know I'll never willingly take one of those apart again.

Ron

133bhp
First Officer

Post by 133bhp » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:56 am

JohnCFI wrote:On mine there is a machine screw through the hole, which separates the two cables keeping them in place.
Makes sense, the fiche shows a hole but no screw but the owners manual alludes to a screw being there. I will find something to suit. Cheers.

Yep, the controller is a pain to reassemble. neutral switch in my case. pull out plenty of cable slack helped if I remember.