not so sure i like my new ETEC- convince me otherwise...

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dreamer
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: not so sure i like my new ETEC- convince me otherwise...

Post by dreamer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:05 am

I had first issue in 7 years 2 wks ago while sailing with Geoff . Engine didn't sound right, took it in and the mechanic found that one of the coil wires was rubbing through and was causing engine to run on one cylinder intermittently. He shrink wrapped wire rerouted wire so it wouldn't happen again. Maybe my next engine would be a 90 etec just to make John jealous :D

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:46 am

well because i store my boat inside all winter all i do is run gas stabilizer through the gas system if out side for the winter need to remove s/plugs & spray eng, oil into the cylinders which is a 5min job & don,t forget to lower ur eng all the way down so as the block & lower unit can drain all the water out of it , this is for all O/B :P

John
PS will post pics shortly of my deteriorated internal fuel line :cry:

chuck
Engineer

Post by chuck » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

dreamer wrote: puts out more amps --- simple winterization,.
Charging Curve vs RPM [imghttps:// http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgscott/se ... 827494505/ ][/img] Sorry I could not post curve directly, but click on or copy and past link to see it.

Winterization--2 min job using throttle

Chuck

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:23 am

chuck wrote:Charging Curve vs RPM

Chuck
Fixed it for ya, using tinypic.

chuck
Engineer

Post by chuck » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 am

Tomfoolery wrote:
chuck wrote:Charging Curve vs RPM

Chuck
Fixed it for ya, using tinypic.

Tomfoolery,
Thanks for putting the Charging curve up for me. Tell me how you did it,

Chuck

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:16 am

See your other thread.

You almost got it there. Just too many img and /img bits of ubb code. One of each is all it wants, with {img}at the front, and {/img} to end it (but with square brackets). The tinypic link includes all the code you need, so don't use the img button on the Post A Reply page - just copy and paste the whole line from tinypic right into your post.

Oh, and put a blank line before and after the line with the picture link and code. It makes it much easier to read when there isn't text on the same line. Try it without and without text on the same line (use Preview) to see what I mean.

chuck
Engineer

Post by chuck » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:19 am

Tomfoolery wrote:See your other thread.

You almost got it there. Just too many img and /img bits of ubb code. One of each is all it wants, with {img}at the front, and {/img} to end it (but with square brackets). The tinypic link includes all the code you need, so don't use the img button on the Post A Reply page - just copy and paste the whole line from tinypic right into your post.

Oh, and put a blank line before and after the line with the picture link and code. It makes it much easier to read when there isn't text on the same line. Try it without and without text on the same line (use Preview) to see what I mean.

Thanks for your help!!

Chuck

Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:51 pm

found this thread-
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 0&start=15
think that might be the way I go in the future :? :? :?

Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Well we had some problems and issues with the etec but non relating to smoke/oil use/noise in those regards the etec is A1 but yes it is probably noisier than a four stroke as for the other two way better if you count the number of oil changes needed as compared to how much xd100 needed they are way in front.
The issues we had were an annoying miss from new at different revs which was resolved after 400 hours and 4 years with a new powerhead under warranty, the other issue here is finding a dealer close by especially when travelling.
Our new polyboat has a 50hp honda on it and it addresses those concerns for us but if we were only near settled east coast areas would have no hesitation getting another etec.
The only time our etec smoked was new or after long hours below 1500rpm but then the first powerhead didn't even smoke then.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:33 am

I think the dealer proximity is key to ANY engine brand. 95% of the time you don't need them! but if you do, having to trailer 6 hours round trip will suck.

So far my 11 year old Mercury has needed a voltage regulator, that's it.