Thoughts on this Mac?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

81venture
Captain
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Wake Forest, NC

Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by 81venture » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:17 am

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4730864574.html


I don't think I can afford it anyway, but ya never know how low I can talk him down


Dave

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:46 am

From what I can tell from here, it looks pretty complete as a basic Mac X goes. 50 hp won't go 20 mph (I can't do better than 16), but it's still fast enough to pull a wakeboard with an adult. Engine condition is always a question mark. No idea what condition the sails are in, and I would assume they're old, since if they were new the seller would have mentioned it. Cushions are original, and seem to be ok, though in person they'll probably show wear. Clean inside, as in not a lot of crap stuck to the walls (you should see mine :P ). Trailer is original, but being a lake boat, it could be fine (my '99 is still solid). Minimal electronics, with VHF and mast antenna, but it's unclear if it has a nav system.

The price seems right, too, but again, it's hard to tell from a few pictures.

User avatar
RussMT
Admiral
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by RussMT » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:34 am

What Tom said.

I'd go for it.

--Russ

81venture
Captain
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Wake Forest, NC

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by 81venture » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:21 pm

RussMT wrote:What Tom said.

I'd go for it.

--Russ

mans got jokes....see first part of post where I can't afford it :D :D :D

seriously...if I could get if for like $7k I could always ask the father in law for a quick loan, then liquidate our Vn23 and some other stuff and be fine...its the "cash now" part stopping me...I buy junk sailboats

also, the vn23 suits us now....if I get this the mast raising thing is gonna be a PITA..

arrgh!! but I want one...look at the room in the cabin man!!!

Wayne nicol
Captain
Posts: 626
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by Wayne nicol » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:19 pm

real easy to adapt a :macm: mast raising system.
read about heaps of people doing it on here- no more excuses now :D
seriously though- hope it works out for you :!:

User avatar
Steve K
Captain
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:35 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D
Location: So. Cal. desert

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by Steve K » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:37 pm

Wayne nicol wrote:real easy to adapt a :macm: mast raising system.
read about heaps of people doing it on here- no more excuses now :D
seriously though- hope it works out for you :!:

Or................
You can just build this............

https://app.box.com/s/wwre10uq9pbvf54qakoq

Remote control, power mast raising :wink:


Best Breezes,
Steve K.

User avatar
RussMT
Admiral
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by RussMT » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Oh quityourbellyachin just find the money any buy that boat. It's perfect for you. Lots of room. Lots of power. You know you want it. Make it so. Negotiate a Mac for Mac deal with full lift rights at your marina. Time for you to graduate to the Powersailors forum.

:D

---Russ

User avatar
tlgibson97
First Officer
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:33 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by tlgibson97 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:37 pm

That's about the price I paid for my 96X a couple years ago pretty much bare bones. Mine had a '96 Tohatsu on it. that one looks like the motor may be newer. I think it's hard to find any year Mac 26 for less than 10K unless it has no motor or has holes in it.

User avatar
capncarp
Engineer
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:30 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Minneapolis, Mn.

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by capncarp » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Looks like a good deal. A little clean up and she will look great. An X mast raising system is available from Blue Water Yachts for $98. Why adapt a M raiser?
capncarp,
99 :macx:

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:10 pm

capncarp wrote:An X mast raising system is available from Blue Water Yachts for $98. Why adapt a M raiser?
The boat already has an X MRS. You can see it in several of the pics.

And I agree - it looks like a good boat for the right price. :)

sirlandsalot
Engineer
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:50 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Kimberley, BC, Canada

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by sirlandsalot » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:23 pm

I don't think that is a mast raising system, but a spinnaker pole? All you need to do is quick pin a winch on there and you have a multipurpose item...spinnaker or mast raising.. 8)

User avatar
March
Captain
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 9:54 am
Location: Iowa, MacGregor 26X, Evinrude E-TEC 50 HP

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by March » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Nay, sire. That is a mast rising system forsooth.

User avatar
NiceAft
Admiral
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:28 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by NiceAft » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:44 pm

81venture wrote:http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/4730864574.html


I don't think I can afford it anyway, but ya never know how low I can talk him down


Dave
And you never know who lurks in the shadows on this site :o :wink:

Ray

User avatar
Chinook
Admiral
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: LeavenworthWA 2002 26x, Suzuki DF60A

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by Chinook » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:22 am

Being a 1996 model, it's an early 26X. One thing to look at would be condition of rudder brackets, which were a weak point in the older X boats. Also, I'd check on the steering linkage, which might need replacement, if it hasn't already been replaced. The stove looks rather grungy. Not sure how well it works. These items are all fairly readily dealt with, but might provide a little leverage in talking price.

JotaErre
Chief Steward
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:23 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Spain

Re: Thoughts on this Mac?

Post by JotaErre » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:52 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:From what I can tell from here, it looks pretty complete as a basic Mac X goes. 50 hp won't go 20 mph (I can't do better than 16), but it's still fast enough to pull a wakeboard with an adult. Engine condition is always a question mark. No idea what condition the sails are in, and I would assume they're old, since if they were new the seller would have mentioned it. Cushions are original, and seem to be ok, though in person they'll probably show wear. Clean inside, as in not a lot of crap stuck to the walls (you should see mine :P ). Trailer is original, but being a lake boat, it could be fine (my '99 is still solid). Minimal electronics, with VHF and mast antenna, but it's unclear if it has a nav system.

The price seems right, too, but again, it's hard to tell from a few pictures.
I agree.

Post Reply