I need advice on a buying a 26x!!!!!!!!!!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

mckenzie
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

I need advice on a buying a 26x!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mckenzie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:12 pm

i need advice on buying a 26 :macx ,
what to look for, in weak points of the boat, the boat i looked at has a crack in the sink is that a sign of bigger problems, major damage or just ware and tear , it will need sails , so will i have to replace rigging , needs bottom paint i think i can repaint myself, what to check on the engine ,i noticed a couple of holes in the hull below the water line are they there for working on the drop keel . thanks and what to pay this will be my first boat.

dlandersson
Admiral

Re: I need advice on a buying a 26x!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dlandersson » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Pictures? Year of :macx:

It would help if you gave a location - might have a :macx: near you. :)
mckenzie wrote:i need advice on buying a 26 :macx ,
what to look for, in weak points of the boat, the boat i looked at has a crack in the sink is that a sign of bigger problems, major damage or just ware and tear , it will need sails , so will i have to replace rigging , needs bottom paint i think i can repaint myself, what to check on the engine ,i noticed a couple of holes in the hull below the water line are they there for working on the drop keel . thanks and what to pay this will be my first boat.

finding41
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by finding41 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:01 pm

The crack in the sink may be a sign of water intrusion and freezing. That depends on ware the boat has been through it's life. Fiberglass looks intimidating... It's not hard to fix. Just messy. Really messy!
Look here: http://www.boatworkstoday.com
MacGregors have a problem with leaking from the top. All the stuff attached to the top deck leaks at some point. (Really.)
This can be fixed pretty easily with Butyl tape. It will take a day and 2 people to do if you have a cordless impact or drill and extension for getting at the nuts underneath.
The 26X has a swing keel and the 2 holes (they should be plugged..) are for access to the bolt that the keel swings on.
Bottom paint is something you can do.
This site and others have all kinds of tips on how to do just about anything you want to your Mac.
I really like the layout of the 26X and hope to get one for my fleet in the future. (I'd take a 26M too!)
If the motor checks out and the price is right... Enjoy the boat.
Get the motor checked by a professional! If water froze in and cracked the sink... What about the motor...?

Tenacious
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by Tenacious » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:19 pm

mckenzie wrote:i need advice on buying a 26 :macx ,
What engine is on the boat right now and hows many hors are on it?

Also, can you get a test sail (I know it needs new sails but assessing the engine and some other characteristics is easier in the water).

Do you have any pictures you can share with us, especially of the holes below the water line?

What is your budget for the X? You might be able to find something in better shape which translates to more sailing time, less fixing time.

Best of luck,
Robert

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm thinking the holes below water line you mention might be the drain outlets for the head and galley sinks.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:09 pm

Without more info (and some pictures), all anyone can do is guess - which is not necessarily good. :wink:
Chinook wrote:I'm thinking the holes below water line you mention might be the drain outlets for the head and galley sinks.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:34 am

it will need sails , so will i have to replace rigging
I assume that by rigging, you are mostly referring to the sails, but rigging could mean mast, boom, halyards, shrouds, etc. Could you be a little more specific about what is needed and what is there? It is very helpful to know some of the history about the use of the boat, particularly, if it has been in fresh water or salt. Salt water environments tend to be harder on the stainless steel components, and the engine, if it is not maintained properly. I will be frank. I love my Mac 26X. I have had it 11 years and intend on keeping it many more. There is, however, a learning curve on both operating and maintaining these boats. If you are patient, comfortable with a little work, and willing to endure some frustration, you will come out the other end really satisfied, but I can think of easier boats to start out with, perhaps something smaller and less complex. I sailed a variety of boats before I got the MacGregor, the easiest and most fun were the Hobie catamarans. But they did not have a cabin for overnights, nor an engine for extended cruising and other water sports. That said, welcome aboard! I am sure there are many folks on the forum that will be wiling to help out, me inlcuded. :)

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:55 am

If you are patient, comfortable with a little work, and willing to endure some frustration, you will come out the other end really satisfied, but I can think of easier boats to start out with, perhaps something smaller and less complex. I sailed a variety of boats before I got the MacGregor, the easiest and most fun were the Hobie catamarans. But they did not have a cabin for overnights, nor an engine for extended cruising and other water sports.
Well said.
Without more info (and some pictures), all anyone can do is guess - which is not necessarily good. :wink:
:D

If you check the sold listing on ebay they seem to sell around the 10k for decently equipped ones. Blue water yachts has a parts price list where you can check the prices of the stuff you listed. Take ebay prices as a start, deduct anything it needs at full cost and add maybe 10-25% to the value for any extras. New motors and trailers are very expensive.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 am

mckenzie wrote: . . . i noticed a couple of holes in the hull below the water line are they there for working on the drop keel .
The swing centerboard is mounted to a clevis which is held in place from above. The nut that holds the clevis is accessible from inside the cabin.

The only other holes I'm aware of are through-hulls for the galley and head basin drains, anchor locker drain, the engine well drain (in the stern), and the ballast valve. Only the last is actually below the water line (normally).

Cougar
Engineer

Post by Cougar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:58 am

Hi,

This is my first post here, although I've been a regular visitor for a few years. Last year I purchased a `99 26X, largely built to 2000 specs. The following article was very helpful to me in deciding what would be a suitable boat for me and what not. Based on the article, I'd be reluctant to get a pre-99 X.
http://web.archive.org/web/200006192040 ... hanges.htm

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:24 pm

Interesting, guess I need to give my 98 X to boat angel. :)
Cougar wrote:Hi,

This is my first post here, although I've been a regular visitor for a few years. Last year I purchased a `99 26X, largely built to 2000 specs. The following article was very helpful to me in deciding what would be a suitable boat for me and what not. Based on the article, I'd be reluctant to get a pre-99 X.
http://web.archive.org/web/200006192040 ... hanges.htm

Cougar
Engineer

Post by Cougar » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:58 am

dlandersson wrote:Interesting, guess I need to give my 98 X to boat angel. :)
Haha, wouldn't do that if I were you. I just meant to say that the article came in handy for an inexperienced buyer like me, at the time having to choose between 3 or 4 candidate X's. And hey, I didn't write the article, Roger MacGregor did. :wink:

Tenacious
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by Tenacious » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:13 am

Cougar wrote:
dlandersson wrote:Interesting, guess I need to give my 98 X to boat angel. :)
Haha, wouldn't do that if I were you. I just meant to say that the article came in handy for an inexperienced buyer like me, at the time having to choose between 3 or 4 candidate X's. And hey, I didn't write the article, Roger MacGregor did. :wink:
I read the website as well, I was surprised to see so many changes in the X during production. Kudos to Roger for continuing to make his product better.

As for choosing an X, I would look for the best condition boat I could get in my budget regardless of model year. I have a friend that has a 96X that is in nice condition

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:25 am

My '99 :macx: has many (most, even) of the changes, but not all. Like the vent under the vee-berth, but still having the step (with the bilge water indicator drain hole) rather than the ladder. But lack of those changes would not stop me from buying an :macx: in otherwise good condition.

Engine, sails, trailer. The big three you should be careful about. The rest is just FRP and some hardware, though a couple of changes were pretty big. Like the steering, and the rudders and brackets.

And as to systems, the original boat had essentially none. Even the water system was a couple of bags and a hand pump. Electric was the minimum required for night operation.* You can have a lot of fun without a lot of complication. I have a relative who overnights on a kayak, for goodness' sake.

*Not counting the USCG required goodies, like fire extinguisher, life jackets and throwable PFD, signalling devices, and so on. And options, like a marine VHF, which isn't actually required, but I don't leave home without. Two of them, in fact - fixed, and handheld. But those boats came with nav lights, and that's all the DC system was configured for originally.

Cougar
Engineer

Post by Cougar » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:10 am

Tomfoolery wrote:My '99 :macx: has many (most, even) of the changes, but not all. Like the vent under the vee-berth, but still having the step (with the bilge water indicator drain hole) rather than the ladder. But lack of those changes would not stop me from buying an :macx: in otherwise good condition.

Engine, sails, trailer. The big three you should be careful about. The rest is just FRP and some hardware, though a couple of changes were pretty big. Like the steering, and the rudders and brackets.

And as to systems, the original boat had essentially none. Even the water system was a couple of bags and a hand pump. Electric was the minimum required for night operation.* You can have a lot of fun without a lot of complication. I have a relative who overnights on a kayak, for goodness' sake.

*Not counting the USCG required goodies, like fire extinguisher, life jackets and throwable PFD, signalling devices, and so on. And options, like a marine VHF, which isn't actually required, but I don't leave home without. Two of them, in fact - fixed, and handheld. But those boats came with nav lights, and that's all the DC system was configured for originally.
Is yours an early '99 model then? Mine is from April '99 and it already has the ladder. As far as I can tell, it features all the changes from the article. I only have my doubts about the deck lay-up.