Structural differences 26M 2004 vs 2013

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Structural differences 26M 2004 vs 2013

Post by BOAT »

"boat' is 2013 model - there are splines 12 inches wide and 1 inch thick going from port to starboard up to the chine built into the hull where the hull rests on the trailer bunks. At the very rear of the boat at the apex of the transom there is a number molded into the hull - that is the mold number. 'boat' is number 4. You can check this number for differences in the structure of the hulls.

taime1
First Officer

Post by taime1 »

kasmith21 wrote:...I scrapped the mast crutch that went through the pedestal and installed the arch at the rear of the boat to support the mast when trailering (BY yachts).
I too have a 2004 - love the layout - I was thinking of adding the arch because I hate the balance point that makes the mast want to tip back right when you are about to get it on the mast plate.

BWYachts' item description states that you need some spacers to make the arch work on the 2004 model. What, if anything, did you use?
FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs »

I have the 04 model and it spacious inside because of the galley position. I agree, the table is too large and we hardly have it up. I will be replacing it with a small one which I can leave up all the time.

Regarding the mast cruch on the pedestal, mine does not have one. I have the arch at the back of the boat. Perhaps this was changed by Roger in the later half of in 04? I do not think it was a mod by the previous owner.
Paul S
Site Admin
Sailboat: Other

Post by Paul S »

FishyFabs wrote:I have the 04 model and it spacious inside because of the galley position. I agree, the table is too large and we hardly have it up. I will be replacing it with a small one which I can leave up all the time.

Regarding the mast cruch on the pedestal, mine does not have one. I have the arch at the back of the boat. Perhaps this was changed by Roger in the later half of in 04? I do not think it was a mod by the previous owner.
yes it was a mid year change , along with the table that took 2 square mounts to one with one round and one small round mounts.. and 2 piece head door and other changes from 03/early 04
FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs »

Tx, all good mods.
EZ
Engineer

Post by EZ »

BOAT wrote:"boat' is 2013 model - there are splines 12 inches wide and 1 inch thick going from port to starboard up to the chine built into the hull where the hull rests on the trailer bunks. At the very rear of the boat at the apex of the transom there is a number molded into the hull - that is the mold number. 'boat' is number 4. You can check this number for differences in the structure of the hulls.

My 2004 model has the "vertical" version of these. More like a fiberglass "I" beam.

I agree the factory table is too big. I made a smaller one.
Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 »

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

EZ wrote:
BOAT wrote:"boat' is 2013 model - there are splines 12 inches wide and 1 inch thick going from port to starboard up to the chine built into the hull where the hull rests on the trailer bunks. At the very rear of the boat at the apex of the transom there is a number molded into the hull - that is the mold number. 'boat' is number 4. You can check this number for differences in the structure of the hulls.

My 2004 model has the "vertical" version of these. More like a fiberglass "I" beam.

If the I beam your referring to go from the rear to the front of the boat (one on each side) those are not ribs - those are ballast channels that help distribute the water in the ballast tank - they do add a lot of structural strength to the ballast tank and the bottom of the boat but I think that ALL M boats have them. The splines I am referring to go from port to starboard, not from fore an aft.
EZ
Engineer

Post by EZ »

BOAT wrote:
EZ wrote:

If the I beam your referring to go from the rear to the front of the boat (one on each side) those are not ribs - those are ballast channels that help distribute the water in the ballast tank - they do add a lot of structural strength to the ballast tank and the bottom of the boat but I think that ALL M boats have them. The splines I am referring to go from port to starboard, not from fore an aft.
Uhh.. no, this is not the ballast channels. It is a solid vertical structure that runs from port to starboard. It runs along one wall of the battery compartment and also runs under the storage compartments. When opening the storage lockers closest to the battery compartment, the structure divides the locker space about 80/20.
EZ
Engineer

Post by EZ »

Québec 1 wrote:My table mod for the 2003 26M:

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1090

*nice*