model 19 rudders

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

miamistyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

model 19 rudders

Post by miamistyle » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:44 am

I went sailing on a local lake last weekend and found out that the 19 does not sail as well as my 26s did.

I really think longer rudders would help. Has anyone heard of an owner of a 19 using longer rudders? I'm dreaming about longer rudders that can be raised and lowered easily while on the water.

grady
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: model 19 rudders

Post by grady » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 am

Sorry to sound like a broken record but.........

https://ruddercraft.com/index.php?route ... duct_id=93

Everyone I know is happy with their products.

miamistyle
Chief Steward

Post by miamistyle » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:02 am

Those look like they might help some, but they do not look any longer than stock.

Maybe someone with more sailing experience than me can explain the effect of rudder length on performance. I have seen some sailboats with massive rudders.

I noticed that the x and M both have substantially longer rudders than the 19.

grady
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by grady » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:28 am

The discription states they do have a slight increase in draft. The better foil is going to help more than the larger size. It also states reduced weather helm so I imagine that the leading edge is larger also. I doubt there is anything you can do to make it sail as good as your S model because it is designed to not be a sailboat at times.

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:22 pm

From my reading depth is more important than width when in comes to rudders, longer thinner rudder provide more grip and less drag than shorter wider rudders, Im sure the newer style X rudders are longer as well as a different shape than the originals like on my 95 model to help some of the problems the early ones had with stalling due to to much input from the helmsperson

jml

Post by jml » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Last season I found that the stubby rudders on my new-to-me :mac19: did not provide enough control authority in light winds. I'm wondering what to do about that problem for this season. When I was buying my boat, the previous owner told me that he thought the blades should be replaced with longer ones from a hobie-cat. The standard hobie rudder blade is 34" long and is fairly inexpensive. But the chord is only 1" thick, which is less than half the width of the rudder bracket, and I wonder how well those thin blades would hold up.

On the Yahoo :mac19: group, there's a thread that discusses replacing the stock rudders, including photos of a slick setup that uses two Rudder Craft Catalina 18 rudders:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mac ... sages/2344

Those look really nice, with a gas strut to assist in raising and lowering the rudder, but they are also really expensive at $599 each:
https://ruddercraft.com/index.php?route ... duct_id=92

I'm thinking about either sawing my rudders in half and glassing in some extra blocks of wood, or replacing the stock rudders with a set of :macx: or :macm: blades from Rudder Craft. Last year I did my first fiberglass project to reinforce the cockpit fuel locker covers/benches, and given how much cloth and resin that simple project took, I'm not quite sure which option will turn out to be less costly.

miamistyle
Chief Steward

Post by miamistyle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:24 am

I like the idea of less expensive, especially if I am basically experimenting.

I would think it would not be hard to cut and drill some wood to fill in the gap in the rudder bracket if I went with the Hobie rudders.

I also plan on drilling some extra holes in them so I can raise and lower while on the water. I do miss being able to do that.

miamistyle
Chief Steward

Post by miamistyle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:38 am

While we are on the subject of trying to increase sailing performance, which is better a sail that is free of the boom or one that attaches at the bottom of the boom?

My 26 s mainsail had a cord in the bottom that held it firmly to the bottom of the boom. My new to me :mac19: main sail does not. It is attached at the front and the rear only.

Does this affect sailing performance one way or the other?

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:29 am

The :mac19: came with a loose footed mainsail which is much better :)
here is ida sailor rudders on my m19
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/m ... 0009-1.jpg

Here,s a vid of my :mac19: sailing cutter rigged
http://vid78.photobucket.com/albums/j95 ... EW_NEW.mp4

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/m ... 010070.jpg

this is a pic of my heavily modified :mac19: notice she is rigged for 4 head sails 28ft mast from 24ft & jumper struts & two sets of spreaders, 3ft bowsprit pedestal steerig like the :macm:

u should be able to browse through my mods on that photobucket site

J 8)

jrcanoe
Chief Steward

Post by jrcanoe » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:40 pm

My 19 requires a gentle hand, it is far too easy to stall the rudders and boat. It is a big fat pig dinghy that you have to wait for response from minor tiler movement before gently telling it where you want it to go. I also have been thinking about hobie rudders. Please be a Guinea Pig

miamistyle
Chief Steward

Post by miamistyle » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:25 pm

I just ordered some hobie rudders for my :mac19:

I will mod them, install them, and try them. Then I will let everyone know if the mod was worth it. I can't imagine the performance could be any worse with these rudders. :|

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:25 am

miamistyle wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:25 pm
I just ordered some hobie rudders for my :mac19:

I will mod them, install them, and try them. Then I will let everyone know if the mod was worth it. I can't imagine the performance could be any worse with these rudders. :|
Any progress with the Hobie rudder mod..? :idea: