I Found an Oil Spot on the Ground? What The??

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

I Found an Oil Spot on the Ground? What The??

Post by BOAT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 am

A week ago I looked down at the ground under the motor and there was a spot of some kind of really heavy sticky black grease on the ground - What's that??? :?

It appears to be coming from the space between the propeller and the motor:

I don't know anything about motor boats - :( this is silly.
I cleaned all the icky goo off the motor fin on the bottom and the propeller and got everything clean and put a big piece of cardboard down on the ground under the motor
waiting for the sticky goo to come back - but after a week of waiting the goo did not come back - ? :? What's up with that?

What is this gooey stuff?

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: I Found an Oil Spot on the Ground? What The??

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:15 am

What does it smell like?

And why don't you pull the prop off and see where it's coming from? It may be motor oil, not gear oil, which you could probably tell from both the smell, and the location of the source (exhaust water passage vs prop shaft seal).

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:26 am

It did not have a strong odor. It was not like the oil I put in the top of the motor or like the oil you put in your car engine. It was very sticky like tar. Almost like as if hot tar leaked out when the thing was hot and then when i saw it it was cool so the goo was really sticky and to clean it off the motor fin was just like wiping tar of the motor fin.

Is there a real heavy sticky gear grease down there inside the bottom somewhere? Is there like a gear box in there? Do they put some kind of goo inside it?

Has anyone seen the inside of that part of the motor? I wonder what it looks like and what's in there - is it full of gear oil or goo or something?

I wonder if anyone else has ever had something leak from there?
I guess I will try to take off the propeller today. Never done that before - I hope it does not take a wrench bigger than I have. You guys all probably have bigger wrenches than I have because you guys all know how to work on power boats -
I don't know power boats. :cry:

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:57 am

What outboard do you have?

(hint: You should put that in your profile - makes it easier for folks to get the whole picture so they can help. :wink: )

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:04 am

Tomfoolery wrote:What outboard do you have?

(hint: You should put that in your profile - makes it easier for folks to get the whole picture so they can help. :wink: )
Uh, okay - all I saw them asking on the profile page was ICQ number and AOL (I have no AOL) and WL/MSN and Yahoo and JABBER (all items I no have) and Website and my occupation I put as a troll but Kevin says no trolls are allowed so I removed that - The only thing left is a box called: "Interests:" Should I put the motor stuff in there?

It's that 60 hp Evinrude thing that came with the boat. I really don't use it very much - it's still looks like brand new What number should I put in my profile? ETEC60? Is that the right way to do it?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:21 am

If you look at most folks' profiles (under their avatar), you'll notice certain specifics under "Location", mainly because there isn't really any other place to put it. Like mine - "Rochester, NY" plus some engine info. Some include tow vehicle info, too. But at least the OB make/model/hp can be very helpful.

I couldn't hazard a guess without knowing which end of the OB that stuff is actually coming out of. You really need to pop the prop. It's not on there tight - pull the cotter pin, back off the nut (might need to nudge it with a spanner/adjustable wrench), and make sure you note the order and orientation the various spacers and washers come off, as many parts have a particular orientation. The prop and shaft are splined, so there is zero reason to torque the nut down hard. The owners manual should give a torque spec.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:31 am

Okay, I changed the profile. I don't know how long it will take to remove the propeller.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:34 am

Takes me about 1 minute. Seriously. :|

Two minutes to put one back on. :| :|

jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:36 am

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=1225

Googled it maybe this is whats going on.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:19 pm

jimmy alonso wrote:http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=1225

Googled it maybe this is whats going on.
Hey tom, I see your post and I will obey.

Jimmy,

I think you hit the nail on the head. The problem described in the article is exactly what sounds like I am experiencing. For one thing - I have gasoline in my tanks that may be even over a year old in one of the tanks.

Another thing - my motor is very very low use - I would be surprised if it has even more than 20 miles on it at high speed and maybe half that at 5 knots. I use the motor VERY LITTLE - so it does indeed sound like it's running rich because it's only used to idle out of the harbor for the most part. I have probably sailed hundreds of miles in 'boat' over the past three years but I would guess I have motored less than 25 miles total in the same period of time. Since the motor is always going real slow it's probably building up crap like the article said:

"This black soot is usually an indication of an engine that is running too rich"

The gas was so old about 2 years ago I drained it out and put it in my car so I could get new gas for the boat. I have been notorious for having gas on board that is over a year old - (I guess I should stop doing that).

The article describes the problem to me:

"If the boat has not been run in a long period of time, then the gasoline becomes stale and loses some of its octane. This will cause the engine to become less efficient in burning the gas and oil mixture, which will result in the black oily residue in the exhaust chamber."

I know what gear oil looks like from putting it in my differentials and I know what grease looks like from greasing my trailer hubs and I know what oil looks like from changing the oil on my car. This gooey stuff did not look like any of that - it did indeed look like that crap that would be created from a heat process - something that could flow when hot but becomes stiff when cool - that sounds like the crap from the engine that is described in the story that Jimmy sent (thanks Jimmy) also there was very little of the stuff and it was inside the prop exhaust because you guys taught be a long time ago that the middle of the prop is also the exhaust pipe so now I know where the exhaust is and that's where the gooey stuff was.

I guess I need to do what that story said to the carburetors? (I thought these motors were injected? shows how stupid I am about modern motors :P ) Well, they gotta use air to run so there must be a hole for air to go in somewhere, right?

The story says I can squirt stuff into that air hole to make the exhaust clean:

"The process of cleaning and de-carbonizing the inside of your engine is very simple. It does not require any special tools. You do not have to disassemble the engine block to do any of this cleaning.

All you have to do is purchase a can of engine de-carbonizing spray from your local dealer and follow the directions on the can. Most engine manufacturers sell this product. They all have a different name for it. Mercury calls theirs Power Tune, Evinrude calls it Engine Tune. I am not sure what name Yamaha gives theirs, but they also have one.

The process is fairly simple. You remove the air silencer from the front of your carburetors. This will expose the throat of each carburetor so that you can spray the cleaner directly into the engine. Make sure you have a suitable water supply to your engine, and run it for several minutes to get it up to normal operating temperature. You then increase your throttle in neutral to approximately 2,000 rpm.

At this point, you spray the cleaner directly into each carburetor throat. You will spray each carburetor approximately 10 seconds, and take turns from one carburetor to the next until you have used the entire can of cleaner. Now turn off the engine and let it set for approximately 15 minutes. Restart your engine, and let it idle for another 15 to 20 minutes to burn off the leftover cleaner and flush out that oily sludge.

This product not only cleans out the exhaust build up, but it also cleans gum and varnish build-up from the ring grooves on the pistons, and will help extend the life of your engine."

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Remember that it's a 2-stroke engine. Like Detroit Diesels were, for many decades. Run them too lightly loaded, and they'd 'wet-stack' worse than 4-stroke diesels. But in the case of the ETec engines, there is oil injected into the fuel or cylinders, so if you don't run it hard enough to get up to operating temperature, it'll eventually make a mess. Like the typical DD 2-stroke (if they're not making a mess, they're not running right :D ).

Sounds like the oil injection is a major contributor. I'd still pull the prop and take a peek. It'll give you an opportunity to put a little marine grease on the shaft splines while it's off.

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:56 pm

You might want to go easy spraying stuff into your 2-stroke. The oiling is running the same route that you're spraying goo solvent - diluting your oiling ratio. Haven't taken my etec apart yet, but on older 2-strokes the first thing the goo solvent would hit is the crankshaft and rod bearings - neither of which will benefit from solvent. I'd change your fuel and check your plugs - and like Tom says - pull the prop and look around. Don't know that I'd spray anything into it unless it was recommended by the manufacturer (and probably wouldn't even if they recommended it). Just my 2 cents worth.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:00 pm

Maybe I should just put in new gas and do a nice long 25 mile run at WOT - that should clear it out, right?

Any comments on cetane ? Should I use regular unleaded or go for the mid grade stuff?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Cetane is diesel. I think you mean octane. But there's no reason to use fuel with an octane rating higher than the manufacturer requires. And I would try to find ethanol free gas if it's available in California.

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 pm