How deep do I tie the new daggerboard?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DrV
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

How deep do I tie the new daggerboard?

Post by DrV »

Hi, sailors!
Last summer broke my daggerboard when entering the river. Yes, forgot to take it up (!!!), after 2 hrs uncomfortable sailing with unhappy Admiral. :( Has been a hard day for both of us.
Bottom is sandy there, so the daggerboard wasn't broken, just got stuck, and probably I could have saved it by going back to the sea and going backwards, and by just giving some time for sand to sink. But I made it all worse by trying to go up river. Broken it off competely. JFYI.
Hope it would help somebody not to make such bad decision.

After lots of paperwork (and taking a one-day flight to Istanbul to custom clear it, yes, that's how it is in Turkey) - I've managed to get a new one from Ruddercraft.

Just opening the season now. But... HOW DEEP must daggerboard go down below deck when it is fully deployed? Any ideas? Right now I have no idea where to tie the knots. Tried searching, didn't help. Thanks!
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: How deep do I tie the new daggerboard?

Post by Tomfoolery »

Page 2 of the manual - top of daggerboard no more than 57 in [1450 mm] from top of trunk, with a stopper knot to stop it there.

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/manuals ... l_2003.pdf
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Also there r 2 lines on the D/B the up/down haul line in the front hole & the safety line in the rear hole , as my D/B lines were coming on 10yrs old I decided to convert up/down haul line to a 4-1 system with all new lines & as such I reset my Depth to 56" for both lines allowing for new line stretch even tho its low stretch line

J 8)
DrV
Chief Steward

Post by DrV »

Tomfoolery wrote:Page 2 of the manual - top of daggerboard no more than 57 in [1450 mm] from top of trunk, with a stopper knot to stop it there.

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/manuals ... l_2003.pdf
THANK YOU!
For some reason, reading the manual is often the last resort, so... :D
Anyway, now I know that if I put the stopper know at 56 inches (1425 mm) from top of trunk - should be just right.