A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Lucid
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Gidday? Where to start!?!?!

Post by Lucid » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:02 am

Hi All!!!!!
Just bought a 2008 26M with my wife and our 18 month old crew.
Jane does not have a history with sailing or power boating, but decided she liked the idea of a sailing cruising lifestyle so suggested we need a vessel. The only option prerequisite was a cabin, for bub to sleep in, and the potential to do overnighters. We started looking at motor launches, and shied away from the potential fuel bill that seems to accompany pleasure craft of that size. We started looking at trailer sailers, mates advice was to consider a macgregor among others, if we could afford it, but when we saw the hybrid capability, Jane said it was time me for me to get back into sailing. What a top chick is my wife missus. Clever too. And cute.

I grew up dinghy sailing, took a 15 year break, got back into hobie16s, swapped it for a tinnie, took a break, now this is my first trailer sailer and first ship over 16 foot. I have done a bit of keel boat sailing on other people's problems. I am intending to approach sailing this vessel with crew comfort and safety and enjoyment as my N1 priority (unlike my dinghy sailing, which I spent most of my time trying to go that bit harder.) So I pretty much need to rig the boat for solo sailing so I can slowly impart my breadth of knowledge onto my landlubbing crew without pressure, and as we all intend, go cruising without major incident or disaster. We reckon we will go out every second weekend, we are on handstand at RQYS in Moreton Bay Brisbane, are up for day or overnight cruising adventures, catching up time permitting and comparing notes online. We are time poor and I miss not having the 26M in the side yard to tinker on.

I bought the 26M from a lovely couple who were house proud, she looks well maintained, has some nice mods including flushing electric head w macerator and holding tank, solar kit w dual battery, rope&chain anchor windlass they also use for raising the mast, anchor housing on the bow.

Moving forward, having never owned a trailer sailer, I have a bilge full of questions amd I need answers!!!!! If it's a stupid question or a well navigated topic I expect an appropriate degree of ragging. I'll be posting a lot of new topics cos I hv a lot of queries, it sucks that a lot of older posts have broken links to photos. Thanks heaps in advance, I'm appreciative of everyone's efforts in making this a valuable and active forum. What's the best way to post pics here now, Flikr?

Regards

Lucien

BOAT
Admiral

Re: Gidday? Where to start!?!?!

Post by BOAT » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 am

Well, a good start would be local advice - sailing is all about the prevailing conditions for your area - hopefully there are others in Queensland that might chime in here with some thoughts.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:23 am

Lucid wrote:What a top chick is my wife missus. Clever too. And cute.
You've hit the trifecta in the admiral department. Congrats!
Lucid wrote:. . . rope&chain anchor windlass they also use for raising the mast . . .
Be very careful raising the mast with a powered windlass. They're a lot stronger than you are, and can rip something apart before you know something is wrong. It's very common for a piece of standing rigging to get hooked on something, or a soft line, and even something small like a roller furler line. Or crush the masthead light or VHF antenna plug that got under the mast when you weren't looking. And you won't know it until something starts bending, like a spreader.* And make sure nobody is under or even near the mast when raising it, either by hand with the OEM hand-cranked MRS, or using the windlass (presumably using the MRS pole).

I think you have the perfect boat for your present needs, by the way. Enclosed head for the admiral, plenty of room below decks, motoring capability for when the tadpole becomes a full-fledged frog and want's to go tubing. Flotation foam rendering the boat essentially unsinkable, even if only for peace of mind (keep a handheld VHF with DSC handy for even more peace of mind).

And use the hull out of it. 8)

*And yes, I've done all of the above at one time or another. :|

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:09 pm

A few on here from around Brisbane that seem to be on the water a bit, Im sure they would be more than happy to help out.

You have wonderful cruising grounds up there, makes us Victorians a bit jealous, we have Gippsland lakes but its over 3 hours of driving away from me and basicly Im lazy

Im sure you will enjoy your M and build many great family memories, always remember to take the camara

DownSouth
Deckhand

Post by DownSouth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Well you went to the top of the tree with your first trailer sailer!

There is an experienced :macm: owner in your area. He has a you tube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trN3_E3UdQ8

You should join the Trailer Sailer Place forum (Australian)

http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au/

He is 9erPaul on there I think.

You might get a bit of stirring (US ribbing) on the site for being a :macm: owner but resist it most people are:

1. Jealous
2. Don't understand that if you want to sail happily you have to keep your (usually) female crew happy and children safe so have different criteria to the racers

But is an excellent forum with very good moderators as opposed to the other AUS one which is best avoided.

DownSouth

Oh and Mike you really need to get out of Westernport occassionally !

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Hmmm, so at least your both under the Queens Dominion - it's those blokes in the WA that you never know about - I don't think we have anyone here on this site from THE WEST or even Perth - (cept maybe a lost croc hunter) those guys do real well over here too in the south near Lake Charles and they are right at home up and down the Pascagoula but I always walk up to them real slow like if I don't know them - once they get to know you they are really friendly. (I look like a city person cuz I always wear Hawaiian shirts and white socks with my shorts but after they talk to me it's okay). I think the Australian folks are even more friendly, but I don't know - never been there - all the ones I met here were sure nice. I'm sure they will help you.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:24 pm

Welcome aboard. I can relate having gone from Hobie's to a Mac 26X 14 years ago. My learning curve may have been some what like yours will be. The advice from tomfoolery about things getting caught on something while stepping/raising the mast is very similar to my experience. Admirals make great safety observers and can watch out for those type of issues. Creating or obtaining a checklist for launching and recovery is very helpful. We use one 14 years into ownership. With about 75-80 items to check off, often in a particular order. Typically, the admiral sits in a chair in the shade reading and checking off the items as I complete them, lending a hand to clear a line or hand me something from the truck. As for systems, I found a good book on 12 volt systems and battery maintenance was helpful. Also, sadly, a good book on fiberglass repair for dealing with nicks, etc. With a small child on board, I would not be shy about using a reefed mainsail and standard jib as you begin learning the boat. The 26X and 26M are both a little tender as the sails catch the wind and start to heel. As the water ballast gains some height over the sea level you feel it dig in and give you the stability you are expecting. Having an inclinometer to judge the degree of heel which the Admiral and yourself are comfortable with is helpful. Good luck.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:26 am

DownSouth wrote:Oh and Mike you really need to get out of Westernport occassionally !
Agreed, but Im was lucky to use my boat much even in Westernport last year, so much going on and last minute changes of plans killed the majority of the season.

The boat is stil on the hard getting some much needed work before being splashed for the new season, as ever life keeps getting in the way with that even so Im making slower progress than hoped.

What started with a simple job of installing a new VHF radio has turned into a massive rewire and the simple job of putting a new anchor light on has turned into somewhat of a rigging overhaul.

I agree with joining Trailer sailor place forum, but you do need somewhat of a thick skin as some with Farr (and i i do mean Farr) lesser boats get their nickers in a knot at the mere mention of the word Macgregor.

Jealously really is a curse, well that and the bad back those guys get from being hunched over trying to walk around their tiny little cabins, never mind being thrown out while their partner wants to go to the toilet in some privacy :D

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:24 am

My question focuses on the basics - does your wife have a sister? Sounds inded like you have a gem. 8)
Lucid wrote:Hi All!!!!!
Just bought a 2008 26M with my wife and our 18 month old crew.
Jane does not have a history with sailing or power boating, but decided she liked the idea of a sailing cruising lifestyle so suggested we need a vessel. The only option prerequisite was a cabin, for bub to sleep in, and the potential to do overnighters. We started looking at motor launches, and shied away from the potential fuel bill that seems to accompany pleasure craft of that size. We started looking at trailer sailers, mates advice was to consider a macgregor among others, if we could afford it, but when we saw the hybrid capability, Jane said it was time me for me to get back into sailing. What a top chick is my wife missus. Clever too. And cute.

I grew up dinghy sailing, took a 15 year break, got back into hobie16s, swapped it for a tinnie, took a break, now this is my first trailer sailer and first ship over 16 foot. I have done a bit of keel boat sailing on other people's problems. I am intending to approach sailing this vessel with crew comfort and safety and enjoyment as my N1 priority (unlike my dinghy sailing, which I spent most of my time trying to go that bit harder.) So I pretty much need to rig the boat for solo sailing so I can slowly impart my breadth of knowledge onto my landlubbing crew without pressure, and as we all intend, go cruising without major incident or disaster. We reckon we will go out every second weekend, we are on handstand at RQYS in Moreton Bay Brisbane, are up for day or overnight cruising adventures, catching up time permitting and comparing notes online. We are time poor and I miss not having the 26M in the side yard to tinker on.

I bought the 26M from a lovely couple who were house proud, she looks well maintained, has some nice mods including flushing electric head w macerator and holding tank, solar kit w dual battery, rope&chain anchor windlass they also use for raising the mast, anchor housing on the bow.

Moving forward, having never owned a trailer sailer, I have a bilge full of questions amd I need answers!!!!! If it's a stupid question or a well navigated topic I expect an appropriate degree of ragging. I'll be posting a lot of new topics cos I hv a lot of queries, it sucks that a lot of older posts have broken links to photos. Thanks heaps in advance, I'm appreciative of everyone's efforts in making this a valuable and active forum. What's the best way to post pics here now, Flikr?

Regards

Lucien

Lucid
Just Enlisted

Post by Lucid » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 am

Boat, by where to start I was referring to my post more than the sailing. I know the area fairly well, am a member in the local yacht club, have been dinghy sailing and motor boating the bay for a fair while. Having said that, I do look fwd to meeting other Mac sailors, will be subscribing to Marine Rescue Queensland, don't know about the specifics of trailer sailing. Locally, we are shallow so if the wind picks up the waves can become treacherous in minutes up the northern end of the bay. Winter is better for calm weather generally, summer gets blustery.

Tomfoolery, the PO demonstrated his raising method, I'm not sold. No MRS pole, no side cable guides, he lifts to get the first part of the raise going, and supports laterally, his wife drives the winch and tails. I wasn't impressed and it made it a 2 person job with lifting involved, but I'll start another post rather than wax on here.

SailboatMike, I grew up sailing outta Hastings, on Sabot, Heron, Windrush surfcat. My memories of sailing western port were sitting staring at mud waiting for the tide to come up, and French Island kept the waves from building so even 30 knots was flat water, used to have to sail around to Pt Leo chasing the surf. Camping Fairhaven, or Turtle Head, 4 knot tidal runs. Good times. After that, sailing from Port Melbourne YC was like sailing in the middle of the city, so different. Sandy beach, either ripping shifty northerly flat water or solid southerly massive waves.

A Farr was never on the cards, a good mate knows more than I do advised that you should measure a trailersailer in volume, not length.

Downsouth, thnx for the links. Already found the channel, their vids contributed to Jane's liking the Mac. Ill chk out the other forum too, see if we can't go do a day sail.

Herschel, the genny is currently up on a roller furler so I dunno about the advantage of the jib, but appreciate the reefing advice. Got a bunch of queries I'll post about changing the main rig to make it soloable. After reading up here I'm interested in slugs, lazy jacks, boom kicker v topping lift (got neither) PO never popped the kite, but I'm not going to try till Jane's learned the difference b/w a halfhitch and a bowline. Checklist was also an idea the admiral had after our second retrieval I dragged the skeg of the outboard up the ramp (in front of the clubhouse of course) oops oh yeah raise the merc 60

Im time poor, Jane doesn't like spending time waiting while I spend hours scratching round on the hard trying to work out wtf is going on with the boat so I'm hoping I might benefit from all your combined years of doing it wrong first

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:29 am

Ahoy! And welcome aboard. That was an exceptionally fine introductory posting, and I look forward to reading many more and seeing some pix too.

As for your question about photo hosting, since Photobucket got all "ransom notey", tinypic.com is a less odious, if somewhat temporary solution (since pix hosted there are likely to vanish in a few weeks). BUT tinypic is owned by Photobucket, so it's probably just a matter of time before each and every member of its staff also comes to deserve the same fist in their cakeholes as the greedy cretins running their parent company into the tarpits. There's a lot of seething hatred bubbling out there for Photophuckit just now. It's practically become an online religion. Me? I tend to stick my pics in a folder on one of my web domains hosted by the freebie 000webhost.com, unless I'm on the road or something.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:05 am

Bilgemaster wrote:As for your question about photo hosting, since Photobucket got all "ransom notey", tinypic.com is a less odious, if somewhat temporary solution (since pix hosted there are likely to vanish in a few weeks).
For the record, and I have no business with tinypic other than they host many of my pics, I have photos on forums hosted by tinypic that have been there for years, and are still there. Including on this site. That doesn't mean they won't go the way of the dodo at some point, but I don't believe they disappear after some set amount of time with no other triggers, other than maybe not being accessed in years.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 am

Lucid wrote:Boat, by where to start I was referring to my post more than the sailing.
I did not read into your post well enough to figure out you were already sailing a lot over there. It's good to know that you have already been sailing you area for a long time already. That will be helpful to others.
There are a lot of people here who started out on big boats or other boats and stuff and then ended up in the MAC. I think the best way to start a MAC post is with a question - the reason people here like questions is because they like to help. So if you encounter something about the boat you want more info on just ask a question and dozens of people will respond to you. People on this site like questions (Where to start?) and they like to answer them. You started out with a question - that's always a good start.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:55 am

Lucid wrote:Tomfoolery, the PO demonstrated his raising method, I'm not sold. No MRS pole, no side cable guides, he lifts to get the first part of the raise going, and supports laterally, his wife drives the winch and tails. I wasn't impressed and it made it a 2 person job with lifting involved, but I'll start another post rather than wax on here.
Looking forward to such a discussion.

As to posting photos, you may have to have a minimum number of posts before you can post pics, but it's not many, if memory serves. Something like 10 posts. Maybe fewer.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:46 pm

Lucien; a great tip for sailors who have never sailed a Mac before is dont expect her to sail like other boats, Macs just dont work like that and it can get a bit worrying until you get a handle on how they work, best advice I can give is go easy on helm inputs, bear away to build a bit of speed before tacking and give yourself plenty of sea room until you get her worked out.

Once you have her worked out they are a real pleasure to sail in all conditions and with a reasonable turn of speed if on the right point of sail

I must say the first couple of times out until I got my head around how they sail I really struggled, but now we have learnt to work to her strengths I love the way she sails and clock some good times going point to point