Irma and our Mac

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Herschel
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Irma and our Mac

Post by Herschel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Pedestal cover (can't figure out how to rotate this puppy)
I would have run this fourth mooring line under the Bimini had I been there, but was just very appreciative to have family help available.

Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ponaldpe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Herschel, Good to hear, and I do not know how to get the photos to rotate, mine do that too.

ris
First Officer

Post by ris » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:01 am

Hershal glad everthing went well for you'll. Hope you had a good RV trip also.

jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi all,
34 days after Maria
No electricity yet but there is crews from Jacksonville Florida working here and already put up most of the poles and lines by the house. Have running water. Added solar panels to my boat system the Engel fridge is a life saver running nonstop since hurricane. My brother sent a Honda eu 2000 so I am able to wash and dry clothes . Dryer is a gas model.
Went to see the boat the other weekend, it was alright except there was leaves stuck everywhere so had to wash really good.
Here are some random pictures I took in my area and where the boat is.

https://app.box.com/s/x0kstat59r8t5kakn87buyiuc39hha2y

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Holy Crap! That is scary!
Last edited by BOAT on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 pm

jimmy alonso wrote:Hi all,
34 days after Maria
No electricity yet but there is crews from Jacksonville Florida working here and already put up most of the poles and lines by the house. Have running water. Added solar panels to my boat system the Engel fridge is a life saver running nonstop since hurricane. My brother sent a Honda eu 2000 so I am able to wash and dry clothes . Dryer is a gas model.
Went to see the boat the other weekend, it was alright except there was leaves stuck everywhere so had to wash really good.
Here are some random pictures I took in my area and where the boat is.

https://app.box.com/s/x0kstat59r8t5kakn87buyiuc39hha2y
Cannot imagine what you guys are dealing with. We got Irma here in Central Florida, but that was just a cat 2. What you guys got was way more. What part of the island are you in? :cry:

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Glad you guys all survived & are working it out.

Jimmy - So glad to hear from you! Sorry I'm late to the party, but our hopes & prayers are answered hearing from you. It sounds like the "Waterbago" side of our mini cruisers & trailer ability can really come in handy in various situations good & bad. Thank God for solar, 12V refrigerators, & off the grid tenacity & capability.

What can we as The Mac Community do to help?

A go fund me page or contributions? What groups or organizations are being the most effective in the rebuild? As we can support them. Your insight, pictures & involvement put a name & a face to the horrible situation. & make it more real to us so far away - but still connected.

Hang in there & God Speed

jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Herschel I am about 10 miles from San Juan
Thanks Gazmn, But; we are doing fine you’re right all the boat stuff came in really handy. Even took the Oringo stove home just in case because those green propane bottles are impossible to find now. So brought a 12 gallon one and my daughter sent me an adapter to connect it to the Colemen camping stove, it took 3 weeks for the mail to get here.

I see on the news here lots of help been arriving from different places and people coming also. A church in New Jersey sent 180 boxes to my church about 70 arrived so far.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:18 pm

jimmy alonso wrote:Herschel I am about 10 miles from San Juan
Thanks Gazmn, But; we are doing fine you’re right all the boat stuff came in really handy. Even took the Oringo stove home just in case because those green propane bottles are impossible to find now. So brought a 12 gallon one and my daughter sent me an adapter to connect it to the Colemen camping stove, it took 3 weeks for the mail to get here.
I see on the news here lots of help been arriving from different places and people coming also. A church in New Jersey sent 180 boxes to my church about 70 arrived so far.
So mail is starting to flow in. Do you recommend folks trying to mail supplies to people they know in PR? We have family near Rincon. Just wondering.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 am

Jaime,

Great to see your post.

Your ingenuity, positive thinking, and get up and go energy are a testament about you. Please give our regards to Rosa and David.

Ray & Nat

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:43 am

Hey Jimmy,

I hope they can get more stuff shipped over there soon. I'm glad you did not get hurt. They said on the TV here that about 70 thousand people came to Florida to get some relief from the bad conditions. After all the people go back home do you think they might think about statehood again?

You think there may be a chance to finally make you guys a state now? Or do you think the young folks will just never go for it?

jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:48 am

Post Maria Day 39
Electricity slowly arriving, not for me yet :(
Herschel hope your family near Rincon doing alright. Priority mail takes maybe 3 weeks or more. FedEx or UPS 3 or 4 days.
Thanks Ray how’s retirement?
Lots of folks left for Orlando I hear it now difficult to find flights.

jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Went to the beach a few weeks ago and went out on the Hobby Cat to a beach on the southwest side of the island. About six boats were washed ashore on Boqueron Beach. The land pirates stripped them the next day after then somebody painted the side. The Coast Guard is removing them without cost to the owners FEMA is paying for that. Owners must contact them if they still want their boat.

On another note my power came back on December 13 :) (83 days without) driving is a mess with lots of intersections with non functioning traffic lights and hardly no police doing trafic.
Now I can start doing some Mods on the Mac :macm: to get ready for the next boat trip!