Irma and our Mac

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

ris
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Irma and our Mac

Post by ris » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:57 pm

as of 9 PM Monday night we still do not have power my neighbor was told we should have power before Wednesday morning. we were also told we would have it Sunday night and we still don't have it. Only 5% of Polk County does not have power I guess we are in the lucky 5%.

Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ponaldpe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 pm

ris wrote:as of 9 PM Monday night we still do not have power my neighbor was told we should have power before Wednesday morning. we were also told we would have it Sunday night and we still don't have it. Only 5% of Polk County does not have power I guess we are in the lucky 5%.
Now that I Have mine on Do you need a generator to use?

jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Now it's Maria.
Heading straight towards Puerto Rico for Wednesday 150 mph winds. It's coming "Despacito" at 8 Mph. Went Sunday got the Mac :macm: ready the best I could.
Busy here getting the house ready too. Stores are full, gas stations full etc..
It's gonna be a long couple of days coming up.

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:11 pm

jimmy alonso wrote:Now it's Maria.
Heading straight towards Puerto Rico for Wednesday 150 mph winds. It's coming "Despacito" at 8 Mph. Went Sunday got the Mac :macm: ready the best I could.
Good luck , hope it turns away.

ris
First Officer

Post by ris » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 am

Jimmy nobody needs two hurricanes in one year keep safe will be praying

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi Jimmy,
I hope everything goes well - I had the people in my Tuesday bible study say prayers for you over there hoping it would help but now those hurricanes come back to your house again?? that's not fair. I will bring it up again tonight - I sure hope that the storm goes away. It would be great if the hurricanes would just decide to go somewhere else for a change. Maybe that Fonsi guy can speed things up a bit so things pass over quickly and not create damage.

ris
First Officer

Post by ris » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:03 am

After 9 days we finally got electricity. About 5 pm yesterday they turned the power on. It is so nice not to hear generators running 24/7. I have a honda generator but my neighbor across the road has a LOUD generator. We could hear his generator all up and down the street, we could stand by our generator and we couldn't hear it but we could hear our neighbors. I hope Jimmy made out OK last night and does OK today.

taylormade
Engineer

Post by taylormade » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:55 am

Jimmy, where in PR are you located? It appears Maria is splitting PR right in half with her path. Looks like San Juan is going to take the brunt of it. Hopefully places like Aguadilla and Rincon on the west coast will be spared. I hope you guys pull through unscathed.

RIS (and other Floridians), I'm glad to hear that some semblance of normalcy is returning. It's crazy how just a few hundred yards makes all the difference regarding damage. I live on the Alafia River in Hillsborough and it seems everyone on the river lost at least two oak trees per property. I lost three huge (>100 yr old) ones, a palm tree and I have another oak that hasn't fallen yet. Thankfully nothing hit my house, shop, boats or dock. I can't say the same for my neighbors.

We evacuated (to Charleston of all places!) due to storm surge threats but didn't lose power and the river (where we are right next to Tampa Bay) didn't flood at all. We were very very fortunate. We have a rental house on Lake Mango 10 miles north of us... they JUST got power back on days ago. Crazy.

In our Orlando office, the power company is removing power from our business (3 phase) to supply other people, so our AC chillers aren't working... makes for an unhappy and unproductive workforce.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 am

Jimmy told me a while back that he is on the eastern side of the island, and that his sailing grounds are on the western side - so that means he is sailing the southern coast of PR pretty regularly (wow, you guys down in Florida would know that it takes a sailor with big (kahunas)'s to do that - so now I assume the hurricane storm is probably right on top of him right now and that might be why he can't hear us.

How much more bad stuff can Puerto Rico take??

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Taylormade, where do you work?

jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi doing ok house fine
No electricity little damage.
No cell at house but up the hill cells works.
Been helping neighbors cut trees and fix stuff for them.
Haven't heard news from Combate where the Mac is.

RGF
Engineer

Post by RGF » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Stay safe, Jimmy! Praying for you and yours for speedy recovery.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:58 pm

We prayed for your house on Tuesday night.We forgot to pray about the boat - I hope it's okay.

I think the hurricane storms are going away now - no more this year - that's what the weatherman said.

taylormade
Engineer

Post by taylormade » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 am

vizwhiz wrote:Taylormade, where do you work?
I work in Tampa (mostly from home thankfully), but the office I'm talking about is on S Keller Dr over there in Orlando.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:11 pm

ris started this thread with this:
We live in Central Florida and right now Irma is about 90 miles south of us. The Jill Kristy is under the pole barn, with the tongue dolly wheel a foot deep in the sand so the front will not move. We also filled our 30 gallon palastimo tank in the bow of the boat. We are supposed to have winds constant over 75 miles per hour starting around 8 pm until 8 am on Monday. We are to expect wind gusts over 90 mph. The eye of Irma will pass over Sumner's non Mac boat in about 4 hrs. Sumner I hope they tied her down real good. They just had wind gusts in Naples of 132 mph. Hope all the other Florida Mac folk are doing well.
I finally got up to Sanford to check on my Mac 26, American Spirit, and I thought it might be helpful to list/show what I had done to prep the boat before I left on an extended RV trip in early August. And how it turned out. Before I left I took off the boom and mainsail and stowed them in the trailering position below. I took the dodger off and stowed it below. I collapsed the Bimini, put the cover on it and lashed it down. I covered the pedestal with a canvas cover and lashed it down. I left the mast rigged with both jib and main halyards secured.I lashed the roller furled jib in three places, one at the clew (where the sheets remained attached), one as high as I could reach, and one about two feet below the clew. I drew all halyards and remaining lines as tight as I could, cleated them down and ran the lose ends at the cockpit through the little gap between the hatch and the hatch cover on both sides. I doubled up all three normal mooring lines (I have a finger pier at my slip with a pole between each finger pier). Later, when it was evident the hurricane would hit, my brother and nephew went up and added a fourth mooring line around the pole. I left all three fenders on both sides of the boat attached. I did not detach my canvas covered Magma grill. Winds in Sanford Florida on the eastern side of Irma as it came through Sanford/Orlando area were generally in the 80-85 mph range. boat was on a pier on the west side of the marina island in downtown Sanford with the street/concrete support breaking the waves from the east, and a similar city park with concrete sea walls protecting the western side from rough water. Result: No damage at all. One fender line on the windward side flailed as it thrashed against the stanchion hardware, but that was the only loss. The outer most bilge on the starboard side had about 3 gallons of water, and the bilge on the port side about a gallon. Forward V-berth cushions were slightly damp, all electrical systems and lights work perfectly. Radio check was loud and clear. I concluded that, in a well protected, inland slip with winds of cat 1 or 2 hurricane, with the mast stepped and properly secured, a Mac 26X (and by extrapolation, other Mac 26's) can stand taught and come out in good condition.