Managing Furler while raising Mast = Protecting the Windows

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

LeePierce
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Managing Furler while raising Mast = Protecting the Windows

Post by LeePierce » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:00 pm

I have a 26x and am using a 26M mast raising method (pole with a crank to a bail on the mast).
I put new front windows in and scratched one during first mast raising with the new windows.
Guess I did not pay enough attn. to the problem with the old 16 yr old windows.
Admiral is not happy.

So what are the best solutions to managing the fore-stay-w-furler snake to protect the boat when mast raising?
A sock made from jeans comes to mind, but I was hoping for something that did better to manage the entire beast.
Also, given our sewing skills are minimal, are there any pre-made products that would do the job, like a golf head cover?

:macx: Lee

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Managing Furler while raising Mast = Protecting the Wind

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:53 pm

With my :macx: MRS, I bungie the furler to the pole at the top, and the whole thing tilts as the mast comes up or goes down.

I've heard of folks using the :macm: MRS bungie cording the furler to the static line from the pole to the deck, and letting it slide down that line as the mast comes up. Should be just as effective at keeping the furler drum off the plastic ports, but I'd have to defer to those who've actually done it that way for the details.

And welcome to the forum. Pepperoni, please. Extra-thin crust. I want to be able to read the newspaper through it. :wink:

LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm

It sounds like your on X MRS system the pole pivots down as you crank. Mine stays in place.
Allowing the furler to run down the rope from the pole to the deck might work, will still wack the deck at some point, so still needs create a SOCK.

I have even thought of creating a system like on the ODEN (sorry can not remember its real name) where they replace the pole with an A frame that remains connected to the forestay/furler.
I always raise and lower on the trailer so could try and figure out how to bring that into the picture.

Any one know how to polish scratches out of the window?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Yes, it's the original MRS, but I've replaced the fiddle blocks with much larger blocks, and utilizing 5-parts of line on ball-bearing sheaves. No winching required as with the original system, but I run the line through the main sheet rope clutch so I can stop anywhere to free up something that hangs or looks like it might. Yours can do the same thing, in a different way.

If the furler is supported on the static line and slides down it, it won't touch the ports.

Just sayin'. :wink:

LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:53 pm

When I first got the boat, I was using the factory X MRS in the same way, but one time a knot came untied and dropped the mast hitting the Admiral.
The knot coming untied was my fault and I learned from it, but I could not get the slow motion video memory of the mast dropping and being helpless to get her out of the way.
That prompted me to switch to the on-deck M cranking method, and to have the cockpit empty any time the mast is not secured.
Once I install an arch to protect someone in the cockpit, I may try moving back to the standard X MRS, (where I will be in the cockpit) and may add the leverage of a better block system.
For my existing setup, and thinking about your suggestion, I am wondering how to get the furler to slide down the rope cleanly... something I will need to play with. Possibly a pulley or something.

Thank you for your input.
Lee

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:20 pm

My "system" is rather low tech. I still use the standard 26X MRS using the winch at the cockpit. I do cover the furler with a canvas bag with a drawstring made just for that purpose. That keeps any hard part of the furler from scratching the window, but to keep the whole jib/forestay giant "eel" of thing under control, I just put a bungee around the furled jib/forestay and the mast low enough on the mast so I can release it when the mast is upright, the raising line is cleated off and secure, and I am ready to take it forward to secure it to the chain plate.

eodjedi
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by eodjedi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:23 am

I attach the the furler to the static line with a carabiner. When raising I usualy have to manually slide the furler drum down as the carabiner provides a good amount of friction to the line. Because the furler is closer to the static line and the amount of friction between the line and the carabiner, I have much more control and have never banged up the deck

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:40 pm

eodjedi wrote:I attach the the furler to the static line with a carabiner. When raising I usualy have to manually slide the furler drum down as the carabiner provides a good amount of friction to the line. Because the furler is closer to the static line and the amount of friction between the line and the carabiner, I have much more control and have never banged up the deck

ditto

LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks every one for your suggestions.
Question.
Is it protocol to do a final "thanks" post, or should I have just let it die?
I am thinking this post will bump the thread back to the top of the "most recent list" when no real new info is being shared.

Lee

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 pm

BOAT wrote:
eodjedi wrote:I attach the the furler to the static line with a carabiner. When raising I usualy have to manually slide the furler drum down as the carabiner provides a good amount of friction to the line. Because the furler is closer to the static line and the amount of friction between the line and the carabiner, I have much more control and have never banged up the deck

ditto
+1

I learned this trick from BOAT. Works great.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:29 pm

I use a bungee cord, so always the right lengt from the drum to the line from the MRS

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:37 pm

RussMT wrote:
BOAT wrote:

ditto
+1

I learned this trick from BOAT. Works great.

(I just wish I could find the pictures I posted on this 2 years ago so I could show the new folks how it works - stupid pic hosting sites - there all a bunch of pecker heads).

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:42 pm

(I just wish I could find the pictures I posted on this 2 years ago so I could show the new folks how it works - stupid pic hosting sites - there all a bunch of pecker heads).
Boat, I am enjoying Tiny pics. Yes, it means starting over with uploading pics, but the site is very user friendly.
http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:47 pm

LeePierce wrote:Thanks every one for your suggestions.
Question.
Is it protocol to do a final "thanks" post, or should I have just let it die?
I am thinking this post will bump the thread back to the top of the "most recent list" when no real new info is being shared.

Lee
Yes, Lee, most folks will come back with a "thank you" post when they have gotten their answer to the original question, but most of us on the forum will carry on regardless until we have exhausted interest in the topic or any other topic that we have started "free associating" about in the course of the discussion. Just enjoy the process! :)

dive4it
Engineer

Post by dive4it » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:06 pm

I have totally eliminated that problem with my Mac X using an M style pole. I simply use an oversized carabiner to clip the furler spool to the line running from my gin pole down to the front cleat. It automatically slides down the line as the mast is raised, keeps it totally off the deck/windows, and ends up exactly where you want it to pin when the mast is vertical. Easy Peasy.

JT