26m during winter on the lake... Danger with through hull?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Norca
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: 26m during winter on the lake... Danger with through hul

Post by Norca » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:47 am

hi everyone!

I'm a bit late in this discussion, but that's how I am. I'm a quiet guy :) .
however I think I should come with a warning about placing the bilge-pump too high up from the bottom of the boat. (the cockpit level is too high)
Most pumps are really bad at sucking air, and that's what the pump has to do before the water can rise inside the hose.
It should be placed as low and as close to the water as possible so it "prime" or fill with water easily.
I placed mine under the port seat just opposite of where Boat has suggested in the drawing , low and near the water.
Pushing the water out on the discharge side is easy and You can go as far and as high as You want on a small boat.
To illustrate this, a perfect vacuum is 1 bar and it would suck water 10 meter up to the pump max.
We have pumps here on the job that creates 740bar pressure on the discharge side and that would push water 7400 meter up in the air.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 am

I did not know that - (I wish I was a quiet guy) - I mean I did not know that the pump might not work too good if it's way up high in the air (and the cockpit in the MAC really IS way up high in the air!)

So I think I will put new whales gusher pump as low as practical. That's a good tip.

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:20 am

however I think I should come with a warning about placing the bilge-pump too high up from the bottom of the boat.

Norca
Engineer

Post by Norca » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Oups does someone feel awkward here?
That was not my intention. Sorry!

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm

I think seapup might be angry at me for my Whale "Culture Appropriation" crimes but I can't help it - I like the whales so I am appropriating their culture on my boat with whales pictures and stuff. Our pet rabbit likes them too - his favorite toy is a beluga whale stuffed toy that he got when he was visiting the whales in Canada.

Norca
Engineer

Post by Norca » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 pm

:D

Quiet and a bit slow i am,,
The '" whale" pump should be a good choice, and Your location under the starboard seat is good too,
Should have no problem to pick up suction from there.

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

I think seapup might be angry at me for my Whale "Culture Appropriation" crimes but I can't help it - I like the whales so I am appropriating their culture on my boat with whales pictures and stuff. Our pet rabbit likes them too - his favorite toy is a beluga whale stuffed toy that he got when he was visiting the whales in Canada.
:D :D :D

Who can resist whale jokes after a thread reaches a couple pages :?:

I think I am in for a long winter :cry:

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 pm

It,s a Whale of a pump & if it was C/E approved in that location for the :macm: as where Mark wants to put it I,d have to think it,s with in the pump,s capacity so should not b an issue , I,d not b going with the one Mark choose as mentioned earlier u want a removable handle as when attached u r gonna get at least 3 times more leverage with an end result u r gonna b able to pump 3 times more water if necc.

J 8)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 am

Wow, you guys are pretty committed to your sticks. Please, I did not mean to offend - I'm sorry.

I saw others in the marina put sticks in holes to get water out of their boats. I did not know the sticks were attached to whales or what manner of pumps people have. I also saw one in a sailboat movie where Robert Redford got holed in the middle of the ocean (in an old sailboat very similar to most of the ones in my marina). In that movie his stick broke; but of course, EVERYTHING broke! It was a MOVIE! (A guy that packs matt and resin but no hand held vhf deserves to get holed).

But I digress,

I did not know about whales gushers until you folks suggested it on this post because I was wondering about how to evacuate a holding tank. So I looked at whale pumps as you suggested and the reason I picked that one is because it would work on the side of the aft dinette seat. I figured you could just sit there drinking your coffee after a nice shower and reach down and start pumping out the holding tank.

I can still pack a stick on board if you guys think it's real important.