Hold onto your seat, matey!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

tom7219
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Hold onto your seat, matey!

Post by tom7219 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:09 pm

My Mac 25 came with a 1994 15hp Mercury 2-cycle long shaft. I've never owned a Merc set up for tiller steering before. This one starts easily and idles nicely. When I twist the tiller grip to put the motor in forward or reverse, the engine speeds up well before the gears engage. From the sound, I'm guessing that it's turning at least 1200 rpms. Maybe a tad more. The boat goes way too fast to dock it or to get it back on the trailer. At the marina, my slip is midway down a two hundred foot dock. Traffic was pretty busy. Had to aim about fifty feet from slip and let it drift the rest of the way. Thankfully there was no boat on the other side of the two boat slip.

Has anyone else had this experience with a Merc, and if so, how did you fix it. I called a local outboard repair shop that works on older motors and the mechanic said he'd never encountered this problem before.

Thanks for any feedback. In the meantime, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and considering wearing a motorcycle helmet.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Hold onto your seat, matey!

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:38 pm

I had to look that up, because I've never had a tiller OB with the shift mechanism tied to the throttle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKIYkLqBgCM

Sounds like the throttle part of the mechanism needs to be loosened relative to the shift linkage. I don't know how that works, at least not from looking at a random youtube vid, but I can't imagine they're not separately adjustable.

AndyVS
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by AndyVS » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:23 am

That would be hair raising. I have used three Mercury's, a 90's 2 cycle 7.5 hp, a 10 year old 15 hp 4 cycle, and a 1 year old 4 cycle 9.9 hp that is on my boat. None acted like what you are describing. Is there a Mercury dealer nearby?

tom7219
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by tom7219 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:44 pm

I spoke to one of the largest mercury dealers in the area. They said they never heard of that happening, but also added that they don't have anyone who is very experienced on my particular motor. Mostly, they work on larger motors attached to runabouts or bass boats. I live in the Chattanooga area and the Tennessee river is all there is for boating. There are a few sailboats, but no dealer in the area, so finding the right expertise will be difficult. Mostly, river traffic is bass boats, ski boats and cruisers of one type or another. Maybe I should have a couple of beers and tap the motor gently with a hammer :P

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:49 am

Just so I can get this straight in my mind to see if I can help.

The motor starts and idles as per normal (around 750rpm)

When you select gear the revs jump to about 1200rpm even though you dont touch the throttle.

Im thinking a choke issue if thats what is happening as there should be no correlation between the gear selector and the throttle

Neo
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Neo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:44 am

Or the gear selector levers are rubbing up against the throttle cable/linkages somewhere .... need to look hard 8)

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:07 am

Watch the video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKIYkLqBgCM

The shifter is part of the twist grip, which works in both directions. Like a rotary version of the common single-lever engine/trans control. Doesn't have a separate shift lever, if that's a representative video of his OB.

I'm guessing it's just a simple adjustment, and that the throttle part of the system is too 'tight', so it's coming in too soon. Probably a length adjustment on a rod or cable to the carburetor(s).

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Ohh yes I see, now

I agree probably a cable length or engagement rod adjustment.

I can see that being a bit tricky to setup to get just right

Benavente

Post by Benavente » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:33 am

Tomfoolery wrote:Watch the video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKIYkLqBgCM

The shifter is part of the twist grip, which works in both directions. Like a rotary version of the common single-lever engine/trans control. Doesn't have a separate shift lever, if that's a representative video of his OB.

I'm guessing it's just a simple adjustment, and that the throttle part of the system is too 'tight', so it's coming in too soon. Probably a length adjustment on a rod or cable to the carburetor(s).
Great video, I would have never thought of that. Thanks Tom.