26M sink faucet

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: 26M sink faucet

Post by Tomfoolery »

BOAT wrote:In particular - is this one of those that automatically starts pumping when there is a drop in the pressure?
Yes or no.
BOAT wrote:Or is it a system where your turning on the pump when you turn the switch?
Yes or no.
BOAT wrote:I assume there is no actual "valve" on the faucet? Or does the faucet actually have a valve that opens and closes and is the pump sensing the drop in pressure?
There is an actual valve in the faucet, and it's variable, from drops to full flow. You can connect it to city water if you want.

You can use it with either a pump with pressure switch and not use the built-in switch, or one without by using the switch to activate the pump when the valve is cracked open. You can also wire a pump with automatic pressure switch through the valve's switch, so the pump doesn't cycle occasionally if there's a slow leak somewhere (or internally within the pump).
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT »

That combo in the picture has a picture of a pump that comes with the unit - is that a "demand" pump? Or is it an on off pump?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

That's the pump I have. No pressure switch; it uses the switch inside the faucet.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

The pump is the right pump for my use but the faucet is another story - that valve is going to be a problem - I was hoping to have a switch on the front of the galley to make the water come out that you could lean on or something like that (to replace a foot pump style thing) trying to avoid all the plumbing that a foot pump will create with a sliding galley - but that valve - that throws off everything - the valve will be closed so my button will not make any water come out.

Looks like the right pump but wrong faucet for my project.

Still noodling.

This is more difficult than I thought.

The foot pump was a GREAT idea but when I considered the sliding galley I realized it was a non-starter. Bummer. :(
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

The pump is the right pump for my use but the faucet is another story - that valve is going to be a problem - I was hoping to have a switch on the front of the galley to make the water come out that you could lean on or something like that (to replace a foot pump style thing) trying to avoid all the plumbing that a foot pump will create with a sliding galley - but that valve - that throws off everything - the valve will be closed so my button will not make any water come out.
The built in switch starts the pump as you open the valve and keeps the pump on until you close the valve so you have flow control. The pumps only put out about 1 gallon per minute so flow control is not really necessary. My faucet switch went bad so I put a push button switch next to the sink to kick the pump on and left the valve open. The pump that came with it also went bad eventually so I replaced it with a $20 pump that had a built in pressure valve. That way the pump would kick on automatically when you open the sink valve (I never used it that way in fear of a leak) or you just leave the sink valve open and use a switch to turn the pump on and off.

Basically any cold water faucet will work if you leave the valve open with any 12v pump and put a switch where you want.

I replaced the pump with one like this
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Pressure- ... dpSrc=srch

The black ring on the faucet is a wrap of electric tape so people would not close the valve.

Now I am using a faucet like this, you can run it off a foot pump or 12v.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Very nice.

Yup, the foot pump would work GREAT with that good looking galley in the picture but alas, :( that is an X galley - I have an M galley, and it is not a fixed galley like the one in the X boat. My galley slides from the front of the boat to the back. The plumbing required to rig up a foot pump would be ridiculous - so that is why I am focusing my attention on an electric pump and switch solution to get the same effect as a foot pump.

Because of the sliding galley you pretty much need to do the entire galley water supply and plumbing and pressure equipment in one place - inside the galley - so it will slide with the galley. Not really a big problem, but needs to be considered.

The sliding galley is probably one of the greatest conveniences in the boat and I would never ever ever get rid of it - the sliding function is just too darn useful - I need to work around it.
npsrangerchuck
Chief Steward

Post by npsrangerchuck »

BOAT wrote:The sliding galley is probably one of the greatest conveniences in the boat and I would never ever ever get rid of it - the sliding function is just too darn useful - I need to work around it.
I would have to agree. I find the sliding galley to present some challenges for water system mods but the convenience is too important to give up and "fix" it in place.
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

I currently have a pressure water system in my sliding galley. I am hoping to change it so that the tank is no longer in the sliding galley. It just takes up so much space and leaves a lot of the remaining space unusable. I also have a pump installed by a previous owner that is in the drain line under the sink which also takes up space. I was planning on removing the drain line pump and going back to the original gravity feed drain. Then just run enough extra water line back to where the drain line goes into the sliding galley. Then zip tie the two together so that when sliding the galley is moved there is enough spare line to move the main water line back and forth with the drain line. Not sure I have conveyed my thoughts properly to paper but hopefully you get the gist of it.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Obelix was the original poster. Obelix’s last active post was 16 months ago.

If the faucet you are referring to, is the one in the original post, Obelix never responded to any of the responses in this thread. I can only hope that he/she is still part of this forum.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Joananse

Post by Joananse »

Oh man, that faucet is like a blink from the past. I haven't seen this kind of facuets for more than 10 years actually. I am moving into a new house pretty soon and there are a hull a lot of things that have to be changed. I actually have to make a ... sort of a renovation in there. I have been looking for some new faucets and toilets, and I have been really surprised by the prices. As I understood there are also some problems with the pipes, so I will have to call for Unblocking Service in Etterbeek before I start doing anything in there.
Last edited by Joananse on Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democritus
Chief Steward

Post by Democritus »

I installed the Shurflo faucet with a "Bayite" 12v self priming pump a few months ago. The first one I got leaked out of the bottom upon installation. The faucet was actually tough to find. Amazon didn't want to ship it to CA for some reason but Home Depot would. The setup is nice, although loud. I don't have the pump mounted to anything yet because further galley mods are planned. It's a million times better than trying to wash one hand at a time. My plan is to install one of the large Plastimo flexible water tanks under the V berth (I think most people use the 120 L bag). I like the idea of the flexible tank because it doesn't require venting. The plan is to connect it to a deck fill near the anchor locker.

I'm saving this mod for when I have all projects that need access to the inside of the bow (e.g. bow roller, upgraded cleats and bow boarding ladder) ready, so I can do them all at once. I've heard it's a bear getting in there. :)
Vince
"Spiraling Shape" 2002 26X
Tohatsu MFS50A
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Democritus!

After having just extracted myself after having crawled -scrunched -compacted myself in under the forward deck the words “..bear getting in there..” really doesn’t do it justice...... :o :? :( :P

If you, or anyone, has a suggestion on how to approach working within those confines we’re all ears! :D :D

Anyone know of a skinny long armed octopus that’s handy with a wrench we can hire...? :D :D

8) 8)
Democritus
Chief Steward

Post by Democritus »

OverEasy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 am
After having just extracted myself after having crawled -scrunched -compacted myself in under the forward deck the words “..bear getting in there..” really doesn’t do it justice...... :o :? :( :P
:D :D :D Ha! Then the rumors are true. Not looking forward to that. Maybe I can pay one of the kids to get in there. :P
Vince
"Spiraling Shape" 2002 26X
Tohatsu MFS50A