26M sink faucet

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: 26M sink faucet

Post by NiceAft » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:53 am

With all the talk of electric pumps, what do you have for a water source?

BOAT has already explained why a bladder is bad, so do you use a solid tank?

If a hand pump is inefficient, and a bladder is not healthy, what is the happy solution? Oh, and let’s not forget about hosing. Mold can get in there also.

I hope this is not hijacking the thread, but once you talk about electric pumps, you open another box of snakes.
Ray

Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 am

At some point while looking at manual pumps last year, a friend who has sailed quite a bit, recommended this type of foot pump. Hands free and can regulate flow by how hard and fast you pump. Price points run form $35 - 90.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TMC-Marine-Man ... 1893826550

https://www.amazon.com/Gusher-Galley-Ri ... 67SWQ0979A

The more expensive ones can pump salt or fresh water so may be a way to use as bilge pump also.

Sorry couldn't figure out how to post the pics but the links should work.

paul I
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:27 am

Years ago I installed a molded rectangular plastic tank inside the forward dinette bench of my :macx: . I'm not sure of the material (poly maybe?), but its made for potable water storage and holds about 10 gallons and has several built in threaded ports. I found it on Ebay from a guy that sells them for RV use. I cut a hole in the top and bolted in a common marine style filler cap assembly. I anchored the tank in place using an adjustable strap that I bolted to the aft side of the bench (tank can be easily removed and replaced if needed). I also installed a 12v electric freshwater pump (Jabsco maybe?) in the same general area (bolted upside down to the inside top of the bench). Using semi flexible tubing (again, made from some material recommended for potable water) I connected the pump input to the lowest most port on the tank. I connected a vent line to the highest most port on the tank and ran the line up inside the liner and anchored it to where the starboard chain plate connects. Then I ran tubing lines to both sinks and connected them with a WYE to the pump output. I changed out both of the old pump style faucets with inexpensive lever style faucets they use for hot water and under counter filter units in kitchens. I had to fabricate a small baseplate for each faucet out of white cutting board material to cover up the square mounting base of the original faucets. Power comes from a dedicated breaker switch in the DC electrical panel. It has all worked perfectly for many years now. Total cost was about $200 or so (pump about $100, faucets about $15 each, tank about $40, wire and tubing).

The pump is self priming and has a built in pressure sensor that turns on automatically when it senses a pressure drop at either faucet. It will pump water to both faucets at the same time if required (which is never). The pump is loud when it is on (probably doesn't help that it can reverberate in the bench cavity), but its never on for very long. I turn off the breaker whenever I leave the boat to prevent a flood by one of the connections coming loose. To winterize it you do what you would do for any RV or marine freshwater system, drain out the water and pump RV antifreeze into the lines. Each spring I flush it out with bleach to keep it fresh (I've never seen any mold in the system, the tank and the tubing are kind of translucent). I can fill it either directly with a hose or a container spigot. I use a funnel to limit any spillage.

I use the kitchen faucet all the time. I use the head faucet like... never. I installed it with the idea that I could run a temporary tube from the faucet to the porta-potty freshwater tank to fill it, but I never do that. The head faucet is a waste of space in my opinion. The only time I can actually see any use for it is if you are sick or drunk and need to sit on the potty and barf at the same time (at least that hasn't happened yet). I don't drink any of this water, but I could if I needed to. Its mainly for washing hands and dishes and such.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:41 am

Well I have a water bladder installed under the rear bed.
No negativ points. The only is that sharp materials can harm the bladder and the water is gone... So I would not use for transantlantic water storage.
But it was the easiest so far. It was a 200l bladder, but as it has to stay flat I can use not so much of course.
If I will have to renew it some time maybe I will look for a system with stronger material like inflatable dingies are.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 am

March wrote:Shurflow electric faucet--but you need to get a pump, too. I believe it's worth it
This. The boat came with a 7-gallon fresh water tank and cheap pump, and the PO had some crummy rotary switch to turn the pump on (one of those little switches on a wall sconce type light in a hotel room, with the knurled knob). The system was just fine, so I replace the faucet with the Shurflow. One knob opens and varies the valve and hence the flow rate, and the pump turns on when it's just cracked open.

If I use half the tank of water in a season, I'd be surprised, so I don't care about wasting water. If I lived on the hook, it would be a different story, but I still like the convenience of opening a valve and having fresh water flow out. I tried the hand pump units and really didn't like it.

I like my Waterbago to have certain conveniences, even at the expense of sailing ability or whatever. :wink:

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:27 am

I used one of the shurflow for a few years. The built in 12v switch was really nice feature, but it went bad after about a year and I had to wire in a normal switch until I eventually swapped out the faucet for a larger one.

At some point while looking at manual pumps last year, a friend who has sailed quite a bit, recommended this type of foot pump. Hands free and can regulate flow by how hard and fast you pump. Price points run form $35 - 90.

I have one of those foot pumps and am very happy with it and would recommend it, if you can find a mounting place for it. It pumps well on both the up and down stroke, moves a good amount of water and is holding up well. I could not find a good location for it in my :macx: though. With a separate electric or manual pump you still need a faucet. Search "cold water" faucet and there are lots of options for around $20 that are nicer than the rv/boat type.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_pric ... e-asc-rank

If a hand pump is inefficient, and a bladder is not healthy, what is the happy solution? Oh, and let’s not forget about hosing. Mold can get in there also.
16 gallon rigid poly water tank ($50) under the V berth sits flat on the ballast tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Fresh-Wat ... B007MSI79Y

I am interested in what others are using for tubing besides buying the tools to go with something like PEX. Any good easy options? I have cut drinking hoses up in the past, but would like something better.

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Nauti Nell wrote:At some point while looking at manual pumps last year, a friend who has sailed quite a bit, recommended this type of foot pump. Hands free and can regulate flow by how hard and fast you pump. Price points run form $35 - 90.

The more expensive ones can pump salt or fresh water so may be a way to use as bilge pump also.

I was thinking about something like this for my :macx: I was wondering if there is enough room to mount between the beam and the interior liner below the sink. I would cut a hole for the foot lever. Either that or cut a hole for a foot operated switch for an electric pump. Anyone done this? Anyone measured this out for an :macx: ? I know this is thread is for an :macm: . Maybe a new thread is in order?

Jeff

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 pm

C Buchs wrote:
Nauti Nell wrote:At some point while looking at manual pumps last year, a friend who has sailed quite a bit, recommended this type of foot pump. Hands free and can regulate flow by how hard and fast you pump. Price points run form $35 - 90.

I was thinking about something like this for my :macx: I was wondering if there is enough room to mount between the beam and the interior liner below the sink. I would cut a hole for the foot lever. Either that or cut a hole for a foot operated switch for an electric pump. Anyone done this? Anyone measured this out for an :macx: ? I know this is thread is for an :macm: . Maybe a new thread is in order?

Jeff
Yes, I too was seriously considering putting in a foot hole in the lower part of the berth that's under the galley for that foot pump I saw in this post - it looks like a great idea for a sailboat galley sink solution for using the water with both hands in the sink.

Hard tanks for water are easy to get from US PLASTICS on line and they are cheap - and best of all - they will make them in any custom size you want - any shape. I have had them make many tanks for me. There is no need to use bladder tanks for fresh water. Bladders are fine for holding tanks, but need to be replaced often, - a hard side holding tank is forever and easier to pump into and out of also. You should never use a bladder for fresh water unless your not gonna drink it.

I am really noodling hard about what's the best way to address water for the shower and faucet and electric vs manual pumps and so forth - this is a big challenge.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:52 pm

I,ve been using hand sanitizer,s for washing my hands on the boat , saves water but now they say they r not good for ur immune system :( go figure u go to any hospital or doc office they have them right there to use :? , apparently they kill off all the good bacteria on ur skin as well as the bad bacteria
I,m still thinkin of going with similar tank set up sumner used blue removable water tanks usually avail at most hardware stores can,t remember if he has the 3 or 5 gal ones
J 8)
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/aqua-taine ... 0041575835

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:09 pm

That's the other thing - the removable tanks are a lot easier to deal with when your at anchor - bringing in water from a dingy and so forth. When one container goes dry you just replace it with a full one - I have been considering that system too very seriously and I think it might even be better than installing permanent fresh water tanks. Three gallon tanks are perfect for transporting water and make great easy ballast balancing weights.

Like I said, still noodling.

As for tricks about camping without water I know them all - been primitive camping since I was 4. One thing I can teach you is brushing your teeth without water:

1 Put the paste on your brush
2 Brush your teeth
3 Spit it out into a paper towel
4 Throw the towel into the trash

I have a million of them - I can dry my hair, do dishes - do all kinds of things with no water or power with tricks I have learned over the years. I travel with females now - so things are different.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Highlander wrote:I,ve been using hand sanitizer,s for washing my hands on the boat , saves water but now they say they r not good for ur immune system :( go figure u go to any hospital or doc office they have them right there to use :? , apparently they kill off all the good bacteria on ur skin as well as the bad bacteria
I,m still thinkin of going with similar tank set up sumner used blue removable water tanks usually avail at most hardware stores can,t remember if he has the 3 or 5 gal ones
J 8)
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/aqua-taine ... 0041575835
The hand sanitizer they use in doctors and dentists is not the same as the stuff you buy in the supermarket, my partner was a dental assistant and has the softest hands using the proper stuff all the time.

The good stuff has a barrier cream and moisturizer built into it and is totally different to the rubbish stuff you buy at retail outlets

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:37 pm

I replaced the camping portable water container that came with the boat with a hard 9 gallon tank that I managed to fit in there. I replaced the gally pump with another marine style not too terribly expensive one but it still leaks a bit. Ill have to make one myself. I did not want to install electric pumps in an effort to keep things simple. I have a deck plate style filler for the tank right on the counter. The galley can still slide but I hardly ever do. I've gotten used to the one hand bit, so I'm fine with it.

Ix

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 am

Ixneigh wrote:I replaced the camping portable water container that came with the boat with a hard 9 gallon tank that I managed to fit in there. I replaced the gally pump with another marine style not too terribly expensive one but it still leaks a bit. Ill have to make one myself. I did not want to install electric pumps in an effort to keep things simple. I have a deck plate style filler for the tank right on the counter. The galley can still slide but I hardly ever do. I've gotten used to the one hand bit, so I'm fine with it.

Ix
I am starting to think the same way you are Ixneigh - I think I will put a hard plastic tank inside the galley - I'm thinking a 3 gallon - (I prefer carrying more smaller containers than less large ones - my dingy is small! :P ) I'm gonna get a lot of comments on that one! :?

Anyways, I agree for my situation too that a manual pump and a hard portable tank will do the trick - but instead of a hand pump I really want a foot pump because I like to wash my hands.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Seapup wrote:I used one of the shurflow for a few years. The built in 12v switch was really nice feature, but it went bad after about a year and I had to wire in a normal switch until I eventually swapped out the faucet for a larger one.

Hello Captain SeaPup!

Can you tell me a little bit more about the "shurflow"?

In particular - is this one of those that automatically starts pumping when there is a drop in the pressure? Or is it a system where your turning on the pump when you turn the switch? I assume there is no actual "valve" on the faucet? Or does the faucet actually have a valve that opens and closes and is the pump sensing the drop in pressure? I can't seem to get any info on this on the internet.

My impression from your post is that this faucet and pump combo is NOT a 'Demand' style pump - and for my purposes that is a good thing - I am trying to see if this is a demand pump or just an "On-Off" thing.

!!!!TANKS!!!!