Katadyn water maker

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Katadyn water maker

Post by whgoffrn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Anyone have a water maker on their mac? I found a steal of a deal on a katadyne 80 II with new membranes and everything on eBay 1000 buy it now and I couldn't resist. It's the last piece of the puzzle to a trip to the exumas i need. (Well I guess it isn't a NEED) but curious if anyone has installed one before and where to put all the various pieces and I'm completely clueless on maintenance and service on a desalinator does anyone know where I could read up on a crash course for what all is needed

March
Captain

Re: Katadyn water maker

Post by March » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Yes, we had a small one, as well as a bigger one on our trip to the Exumas 6 years ago. We mostly used the larger one: pumping for about 10 minutes will give you a quart of good water, even better and "tastier" than the bottled kind which (I suspect) is oftentimes distilled water. We used it a lot. Water was relatively expensive. We made "solar tea" (instant tea in a plastic jug tied to the mast) and cooled it in the electric cooler. It worked very well. We didn't use it at all last summer (had other concerns) so it's still packed and "winterized" with the cleaning solution that came with it. It may still work. The smaller one is a backup emergency unit, good in life-or-death situations. We never used it.
I got the desalinator off eBay, too, but I don't think it was that expensive; it was a military model, expired, but the old membranes still worked fine. You don't need a crash course in using it: just plunge one hose in sea water, the other one in an empty bottle and start pumping. Good exercise when you find yourself in the doldrums.

RGF
Engineer

Post by RGF » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:24 am

Lottsa vids on YouTube, maybe one of them...

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 am

Well I changed my mind on the katadyne considering the guy selling it has the high pressure pump dismantled and says "he doesn't have time to put it back together" that usually means it's junked

But if anyone stumbles upon this I'm gonna do some free advertising for a guy I stumbled upon and will be buying his watermaker next week in fort Lauderdale....much simpler and uses a 100 dollar power washer from home depot as the pressure pump
Seawaterpro.com

https://youtu.be/aqAMi9-CZqg
Last edited by whgoffrn on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Was’nt there an :macm: owner a few years ago who sold his boat (bought a bigger one), house, business, and then with his wife and children spent a few years sailing south from California. Didn't this same fellow then start another business marketing an improved, more efficient water maker? Am I way off base here?

I think his :macm: was called the seventh day, or something like that?

Ray

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Rich Boren started, and still sells his watermaker under the business Cruise RO Water out of CA.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Catigale wrote:Rich Boren started, and still sells his watermaker under the business Cruise RO Water out of CA.
Thanks.

I thought I remembered a water maker. It is supposed to be a good one. Just a hint to anyone following this thread. :)

Ray

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Ray
Now if u can come up with or find a very good Blended Scotch maker for my boat I,d b very interested something tasting like est 1864 James CATTO,S comes to mind :)

J 8)

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Good blended scotch :o No such thing :!: I’ll take a single malt Islay every day. Bowmore, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, or Laphroaig.

Ray

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:06 pm

I looked at cruise ro products a while back but still a hefty price of 4-5k ....the one in my link is also a 20 gal per hour for 1500 and comes with the pressure washer , pre filter and charcoal filter...basically everything u need ...and the membranes are the cheaper 200 Amazon membranes....not trying to take away from anyone else's product or am I in any way affliliated with the guy I'm getting one from but for 1500 bux I've yet to see anyone selling a 20 gal per hour pressure washer with everything needed

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 pm

How is the pressure washer powered? I couldn't tell from the video. Looks like a lot of stuff to carry. I'd still just carry water in containers. I've got over 50 gallons in the S and still room for lots of other stuff,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:11 am

Powered by a honda 2000 gen which I already carry on all trips ... I think I carry 25 gal .... I have a 10 gal tank in the bow and then 3x 5 gal collapsible jugs ......it probably from an economical standpoint makes more sense to just carry it on board but with 2 kids plus myself and doing laundry and showering on board our water consumption in the bahamas and period of time when we would go (if I ever grow the kahones to do this trip lol) would be the summer so our water usage would be high .... but reality of it is i know lugging jugs of water back and forth in the dinghy would be a chore I would hate to do
It's all your fault sumner lol after having read your journal of the exumas many times over I'm green with envy and determined at some point I will make this trip happen. We are on vacation now for 10 days on the icw around Titusville using no marinas just on the hook the whole time and it's annoying already lugging 5 gallons of water in the dinghy back and forth
Plus me and 2 buddies are considering going to the dry tortugas this year where there is no water on the island so for me it's worth the 1500 especially if it takes 1 more excuse I have away lol

tp56ihs
Chief Steward

Post by tp56ihs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:58 pm

I picked up a Dessalinator Duo 60 this summer but have not installed it yet. Only issue is it is a European model and has a 220v 50hz motor but still has the 12v motor as well. I am trying to decide if I want to try it on the Mac 26x. :macx:
Tom
Wind Wager