26X Traveller Ideas

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

26X Traveller Ideas

Post by sailboatmike » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:24 pm

While I dearly love my X I also am always looking for ways to improve the sailing performance.

As such I have played around with a number of ideas for installing a traveller, the obvious one is on the cabin roof, however this is going to put a lot more strain on the boom and I have read reports of the boom snapping when mid boom sheeting has been used.

I "think" I have come up with a solution and just thought I would throw it out there for comments.

My idea is to use the current bolts that hold the main sheet attachment arch and have a traveller about 24 inches long that can be removed when your anchored up or not using the main.
We know the pedestal should be strong enough as it currently anchors the main sheet. While not ideal it would allow the main to be sheeted in hard while still out from the center of the boat, I think this would improve the upwind performance (allowing to sail higher) as well as the reaching ability.

Any thoughts? Tell me its a stupid idea if you like, but hey it may of been tried or may not of

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Re: 26X Traveller Ideas

Post by Gazmn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 pm

I went out & dun This.

Keep an eye out on ebay for travellers to do same.

No regrets & it gave me a platform to hang stuff of off like: a spray shield & outdoor speakers;

While you don't always need a traveller. I think it would be a pain to take it on & off the pedestal & clog up the cockpit. Last idea: use the amid ships SS bar rail as your tie point. In this manner you can point closer to the wind & keep the cockpit relatively free. Use this with a boom vang to pull the sail down & flatter.

Good Luck :wink:

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:55 pm

I bought a junk 70's keel boat at an auction for $35, mainly for the slotted aluminum toe rail that I'll put on my 26X. It won't be a traveler, per se, but I'll be able to put a snatch block on it wherever will give me the best sheeting angle.
And I sold the lead in the keel for $800.
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL :mac19: :macx:
Last edited by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:22 pm

U can also go with a multi block mainsheet like on the Catalina 34 which spreads out the load
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 1060809947

Or an even cheaper way is to install a 2 or 3 ft long thick wall Allum Tube inside the boom centering it at ur location point as close as possible to ur boom,s I/D this will greatly increase the strength of ur boom

J 8)

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 pm

I bought a junk 70's keel boat at an auction for $35, mainly for the slotted aluminum toe rail that I'll put on my 26X. It won't be a traveler, per se, but I'll be able to put a snatch block on it wherever will give me the best sheeting angle.
This got me to thinking. If one were to use the working jib as the foresail of choice, and the rail for that on the cabin top, that would leave the Genoa track/block that could be rigged like a snatch block and bring the boom in tighter more to leeward like a traveler. Has anyone ever done that? :?

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 pm

I have been looking at the way Beneteau do their main sheet / traveller routine on their bigger boats, looks interesting.

I just feel a traveller will be fixing one of the little things that detract from the sailing ability of the X, its a bit like the man that dies from a thousand cuts.

The new sails have made a HUGE improvement, but I feel there is still plenty to be had with a little bit of work

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:29 am

This got me to thinking. If one were to use the working jib as the foresail of choice, and the rail for that on the cabin top, that would leave the Genoa track/block that could be rigged like a snatch block and bring the boom in tighter more to leeward like a traveler. Has anyone ever done that
Yup, used twin mainsheets on my :macx: . Twin mainsheet is the way to go IMO. Once you get the hang of it its just about as effective as traveler.

If you have a boom vang you can just about try it for free without buying anything.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:16 pm

Seapup wrote:
This got me to thinking. If one were to use the working jib as the foresail of choice, and the rail for that on the cabin top, that would leave the Genoa track/block that could be rigged like a snatch block and bring the boom in tighter more to leeward like a traveler. Has anyone ever done that
Yup, used twin mainsheets on my :macx: . Twin mainsheet is the way to go IMO. Once you get the hang of it its just about as effective as traveler.

If you have a boom vang you can just about try it for free without buying anything.

I am very impressed with that mod. Couldn't we use the blocks and rope from the mast raising gear, too?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 pm

You could, but the lower block doesn't have a cam cleat.

I have the airblock style from BWY for the main sheet, and I add the old main sheet system, terminated on the lifeline rail, when I want to use the dual system shown above. Sort of a barber hauler for the main sail. 8)

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:You could, but the lower block doesn't have a cam cleat.

I have the airblock style from BWY for the main sheet, and I add the old main sheet system, terminated on the lifeline rail, when I want to use the dual system shown above. Sort of a barber hauler for the main sail. 8)
Could you help me with two terms with which I am not familiar: (1) airblock and (2) barber hauler? :? Thanks.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Oh, sorry. Ball bearing fiddle blocks with large open sheave centers. BWY used to sell it with yacht braid, but now it looks like they don't include it. There are many such blocks that are loosely called air blocks (but I think Harken owns that name). Very low friction compared to the OEM fiddle blocks on the Mac main sheet system.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3310-000.htm

A barber hauler is sort of a boom vang for the jib, but since there is not boom normally, it's just an outboard block and line to pull down the jib to reduce twist. I don't much care for my boom vang, though it would be much easier if I brought the line back to the cockpit, and I tend to use the spare main sheet system as a vang by clipping it onto the downwind lifeline stanchion.

Probably not the best analogy. :|

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Oh, sorry. Ball bearing fiddle blocks with large open sheave centers. BWY used to sell it with yacht braid, but now it looks like they don't include it. There are many such blocks that are loosely called air blocks (but I think Harken owns that name). Very low friction compared to the OEM fiddle blocks on the Mac main sheet system.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3310-000.htm

A barber hauler is sort of a boom vang for the jib, but since there is not boom normally, it's just an outboard block and line to pull down the jib to reduce twist. I don't much care for my boom vang, though it would be much easier if I brought the line back to the cockpit, and I tend to use the spare main sheet system as a vang by clipping it onto the downwind lifeline stanchion.

Probably not the best analogy. :|
Roger that. Airblock: Interesting concept. When my weather gets a little better, I will experiment with the mast raising gear on the leeward side to start with, and since it doesn't have a cam cleat, I'll tied it off at the stern mooring cleat. Thanks for the idea and sketch. 8)

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:58 pm

The second mainsheet system is most useful for bringing the boom closer to the centerline of the boat than the single helm attachment alone can do. Putting the spare sheet system upwind allows you to sheet it in tighter, much like moving a traveler car upwind so there is more horizontal (in the upwind direction) to go with the downward pull. Sheeting to the helm alone will only bring the boom so far toward the centerline of the boat without help.