Looking for intro sail on 26M or X near Mobile or Pensacola

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dwlangham

Looking for intro sail on 26M or X near Mobile or Pensacola

Post by dwlangham » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:26 am

Hello. This time next year I hope to purchase a trailer sailer. In addition to the Mac 26 x/m, I'm looking hard at the Rhodes 22.

I have no experience with either boat. I like the interior size and motoring capability of the Macs but am leery that it may be too "tippy" for my taste. I would like to see for myself how it handles in a freshening breeze (15 to 18 mph).

To that end, I'm looking for a 26M or X owner in the Mobile / Pensacola area who wouldn't mind my company on a day sail.

Thanks!

Don

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Looking for intro sail on 26M or X near Mobile or Pensac

Post by sailboatmike » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Dont believe the "Macs are tippy" rubbish put about by people who have never sailed one, in fact Macs are extremely stable, far less tippy than my old JOG (Junior Offshore Group) trailer sailor I used to own, the fact is that you feel a bit more heeled due to the high cockpit, in actual fact you are on lesser angle of heel, you get the same feeling on all boats with high freeboards, but if you want a trailer boat with decent berth under the cockpit you have to compromise the height of the cockpit floor, I must admit it can feel a bit strange at first but you get used to it.

More the issue is are you prepared to learn to sail a Mac, try and sail a Mac X or M like a more traditional boat you may be used to and you will come away with a poor impression of their sailing abilities, read this forum and take onboard what owners say and it becomes a very enjoyable experience and you will be surprised at the performance and enjoyment you can wring out of a cruising boat , simple things like bearing away slightly before tacking, being aware of rudder position so you dont stall the rudders (the wheel makes it easy to stall the rudders because you have no idea of the rudder position by the position of the wheel unlike a tiller).

The condition of the sails is highly important, the factory OEM sails are very lightly built and blow out quickly in any sort of wind, so allow a couple of thousand $$$ in your budget for a nice new set of crinkly sails, you will be surprised at just how high you can point with a good set of sails compared with the blown out OEM units

tlgeddes
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by tlgeddes » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Not that SailboatMike needs me to agree with him.....but I agree with him. In December I crewed on a early 80's S2 6.2 and even stepping off the dock into the cockpit the boat almost disappeared out from under my feet. It’s specs are 2200 lbs 800 at 22ft. I would consider that boat just as tender as my 26M.

I really think that most critics of the Macs have not set foot on one while many Mac owners will go on any boat. I am new to Macs and sailing and have been on O’days, the S2, 6.2, J24, and another larger S2 Coastal cruiser. I like all of them because they are all fun. I will say that my local club is full of great non judging people with a wide variety of boats many of which are Macs.

If I could go back and do-over I would get a Mac 25 so it would be easier for my wife to get into the cockpit from the dock and easier from out of the water at the stern. The coamings are high and difficult for her. I would sacrifice the 6.0 ft headroom.

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:48 am

Hello. This time next year I hope to purchase a trailer sailer. In addition to the Mac 26 x/m, I'm looking hard at the Rhodes 22.
Looking at both in person is good, they are drastically different, although seem to be put in the same size class. I see a good amount of Rhodes 22 locally since they are built about an hour from my house and they are at the boat show every year.

If you want to daysail the rhodes 22 is a nice choice. It has a large cockpit and some neat features like the furling main. They look nice and I imagine it would trailer easier being smaller. The cabin absolutely baffles me though. It has a raised floor to make it flat above the centerboard I assume. I literally almost got stuck inside it trapped by the bathroom door when looking at one :|