New sailpack

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Post Reply
bobflshmn
First Officer
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:32 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

New sailpack

Post by bobflshmn » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Just completed our new sail pack and lazy jack system. Very happy with the results. Sail pack is the kit from Sailrite. Picketed it up with our new LSZ machine. Image

User avatar
Sumner
Admiral
Posts: 2374
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:20 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S
Location: SE Utah
Contact:

Re: New sailpack

Post by Sumner » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Looks great!! You'll enjoy it as we sure enjoy ours,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

bobflshmn
First Officer
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:32 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New sailpack

Post by bobflshmn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:06 am

Sumner wrote:Looks great!! You'll enjoy it as we sure enjoy ours,

Sumner
Thanks, it was your post about the Sailrite machine which convinced me to buy it. Glade I didn't compromise.

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: New sailpack

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 am

bobflshmn wrote:Thanks, it was your post about the Sailrite machine which convinced me to buy it. Glade I didn't compromise.
What did you sew it with? The Sailrite, or something else?

OIC - I thought the reference was to the sailpack, but I see it was about the machine. :wink:
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sumner
Admiral
Posts: 2374
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:20 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S
Location: SE Utah
Contact:

Re: New sailpack

Post by Sumner » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 am

bobflshmn wrote:
Sumner wrote:Looks great!! You'll enjoy it as we sure enjoy ours,

Sumner
Thanks, it was your post about the Sailrite machine which convinced me to buy it. Glade I didn't compromise.


Likewise, we recently made new interior cushions for the Endeavour and the thread started breaking. A call to them and a few minutes later we knew what to fix and were sewing again. The needle had struck the guide plate above the shuttle and nicked it and that was catching the thread. I don't care what machine one uses, sooner or later something like this will happen or the timing will get off or something else will wear and possibly need replacement. With Sailrite you have help and parts any time you need it and they don't charge for the help.

We used our own plans for the sailpack on the Mac and modified theirs for the sailpack we made for the Endeavour...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... index.html

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

User avatar
Sea Wind
First Officer
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:45 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Mayo, MD Suzuki DF90hp

Re: New sailpack

Post by Sea Wind » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:48 am

Looks very nice. It looks like you have a loose footed main, did you use sail slugs for the pack on the boom? with a couple more sewing projects and the machine will have paid for itself. My winter project is the mid-connector between the dodger and the bimini.

bobflshmn
First Officer
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:32 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New sailpack

Post by bobflshmn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
bobflshmn wrote:Thanks, it was your post about the Sailrite machine which convinced me to buy it. Glade I didn't compromise.
What did you sew it with? The Sailrite, or something else?

OIC - I thought the reference was to the sailpack, but I see it was about the machine. :wink:
I did purchase the sail pack from Sailrite as well, and glad I did. The machine is the Sailrite LSZ basic.

bobflshmn
First Officer
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:32 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New sailpack

Post by bobflshmn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Sea Wind wrote:Looks very nice. It looks like you have a loose footed main, did you use sail slugs for the pack on the boom? with a couple more sewing projects and the machine will have paid for itself. My winter project is the mid-connector between the dodger and the bimini.
I added the slides to both the luff and foot of the sail, it was bolt rope before I started. The pack wraps under the foot of the sail and attaches to the other side using EZ clips provided with the kit. I thought about going loose footed but decided to add the slides using the screw on shackles which do not require adding grommets because they hug the bolt rope. This still allows me to play with the outhaul tension if I wish but in reality I probably won't. Our next project is self tacking jib.

hschumac
Chief Steward
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:35 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New sailpack

Post by hschumac » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:24 pm

I made a stackpack last winter as well. Wat hed the Sailrite video a few times, looked at many different examples as well. My (new) main is loose, and decided to sew a bolt rope into the bottom of the stack pack. Wanted a fully attached / clean look for it. The bulk of the time on the project was sewing slots with reinforceme t / abrasion resistant fabric for the reefing lines and for the aft mai sail slug (in the boom slot) so i could adjust the main using the outhaul.

Agree, fantastic mod. I sailed more this last year because it was so easy to raise / drop the mIn.

bobflshmn
First Officer
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:32 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New sailpack

Post by bobflshmn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:16 pm

hschumac wrote:I made a stackpack last winter as well. Wat hed the Sailrite video a few times, looked at many different examples as well. My (new) main is loose, and decided to sew a bolt rope into the bottom of the stack pack. Wanted a fully attached / clean look for it. The bulk of the time on the project was sewing slots with reinforceme t / abrasion resistant fabric for the reefing lines and for the aft mai sail slug (in the boom slot) so i could adjust the main using the outhaul.

Agree, fantastic mod. I sailed more this last year because it was so easy to raise / drop the mIn.
I want to add the single line reefing as well, but I will convert the jib to self tacking first.

User avatar
sailboatmike
Admiral
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Australia

Re: New sailpack

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:47 am

Adding single line reefing takes about a hour once the boom is off the boat, you could do it with the boom on if you have a second pair of hands to hold things while you drill and rivet, I did mine last winter, great mod

kurz
Captain
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Zürich, Switzerland, Europe

Re: New sailpack

Post by kurz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:59 am

I took my single reef lines away. I was not too happy with it. As long it the main was not reefed the lines are very long and hang around too much.

If you have to reef and have some waves and big wind (the you reef...) I find it a hassle to work near the boom that allways is shaking. Becouse you have to fixe the line at the end of the boom. Even more after three times of using the clamp didnt hold the line anymore.
I am thinking now about a solution that you can pull the lines on the cabin top and not at the end of the boom...

User avatar
Sumner
Admiral
Posts: 2374
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:20 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S
Location: SE Utah
Contact:

Re: New sailpack

Post by Sumner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:21 am

kurz wrote:I took my single reef lines away. I was not too happy with it. As long it the main was not reefed the lines are very long and hang around too much.

If you have to reef and have some waves and big wind (the you reef...) I find it a hassle to work near the boom that allways is shaking. Becouse you have to fixe the line at the end of the boom. Even more after three times of using the clamp didnt hold the line anymore.
I am thinking now about a solution that you can pull the lines on the cabin top and not at the end of the boom...
Image

I have single line reefing for both reef points and the lines go to the mast but could be taken from there back to the cabin top if one so desired. I like it and use them all the time. More on how I insalled the first one here (the second is the same)....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... ng-22.html

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

kurz
Captain
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Zürich, Switzerland, Europe

Re: New sailpack

Post by kurz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks sumner, I myself am talking from the :macm: so the rotating mast will make the system more complicated. Rotating the mast will loosen or tighten the halyard too much I guess

Post Reply