New powersailor

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

kurz
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: New powersailor

Post by kurz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:52 am

another: The Nuva is nearly 260cm wide... but very short. Here around you pay a slip not for the length... bot for the with...

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Ahhh...The long-awaited return of the ultra-sexy Nuva Yachts marque to these forums, with their patented ViagruntTM Mast Raising System. Who wouldn't want some...Er...one? For PFDs you'd almost be obliged to use those old fashioned ring-shaped life buoys instead of the square butt pad Type IVs, if only for the chance to one day be able to holler, "She's starting to go down! Quick! Toss her a Nuva Ring!"

Seriously though, I can see the appeal of this innovative boat for some as a sort of hybrid between a sailboat and a pontoon party barge. And it looks like there's enough of a cabin in there to at least crawl into for an overnighter, which is actually more than you'll get with most actual pontoon craft. I won't be putting down a deposit on one, but I can easily see the appeal for some. For her size she has a huge cockpit while a Mac hybrid has a huge cabin. Toss a grill on her rail and some steaks and drinks in a cooler, and there's a fine day sail or overnighter weekend right there. I feel the concept. I'd DEFINITELY want some kind of bimini or sunshade though.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:03 pm

P.T. Barnum is supposed to have said this, but there is no proof to it being said by him. Still. it's appropriate for this posting.

"There is a sucker born every minute." :P

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:29 pm

NiceAft wrote:P.T. Barnum is supposed to have said this, but there is no proof to it being said by him. Still. it's appropriate for this posting.

"There is a sucker born every minute." :P
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

J 8)

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:06 am

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 am

Bilgemaster wrote:Image
That quote is from a man who charged people to come see many different exhibits, one of which was the Egress :D
http://www.ptbarnum.org/egress.html

Ray

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:13 am

Why not just get a nice little run about? Unless the boat sails well, the mast will just be left at home.
And the way that boat is set up, it will only be used for a few hours. About as long as the millennials crewing it can operate their cellphones without plugging into a charger ;)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Gee whiz guys, I thought I was the troll here - the guy is from Spain and your trashing a boat from his country - it's not THAT bad.

I think highlander brings up a very good point though about resale value - I do not think this is going to be an easy sell when it's used.

As for the cuddy cabin boats they have indeed lost their appeal over the years -

The boat is indeed like you said - a party barge more akin to a pontoon boat when it has those slide outs - the one that I saw on the water did not have the slide outs and to ME it just looked like a cuddy cabin boat.

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 pm

BOAT wrote:Gee whiz guys, I thought I was the troll here - the guy is from Spain and your trashing a boat from his country - it's not THAT bad.

I think highlander brings up a very good point though about resale value - I do not think this is going to be an easy sell when it's used.

As for the cuddy cabin boats they have indeed lost their appeal over the years -

The boat is indeed like you said - a party barge more akin to a pontoon boat when it has those slide outs - the one that I saw on the water did not have the slide outs and to ME it just looked like a cuddy cabin boat.
Not trashing the boat. It’s just not for most of those who prefer the Mac concept. I’m sure there are those who would like it. Welcome to the trashers though.

Ray

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm

A new Tattoo :tat22: when ever it goes on sale if it ever does ! would b a much better deal & have more sleeping accommodation + a head & galley and would b a lot cheaper and a h_ll of a lot less maint.
I can see all kinds of maint. & leakage issue,s with these slide-out units :x

Just sayin Thats All

B my guest if u have money to burn & can afford to take the hit go for it !

But if u r on a limited income & looking for a long time investment this is really not for u buy something used in very good condition there r all kinds of used boats out there 15yrs or older that have less than 3 yrs of use on them

J 8)

Bilgemaster
First Officer

Post by Bilgemaster » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:45 am

I wonder how much they'll run? Not that I would buy one or anything...hull, even an M was a bit too rich for my taste when I was shopping around, and so I contented myself with a nice X (though I have grown to prefer it--and not just by virtue of necessity). Thing is, I could well see how something like Nuva's little sailing party barge might appeal to, say, a reasonably well off self-employed Brit with a little seaside holiday place in Majorca or the Spanish coast. With the right accountant one could write off a good chunk of it, it's upkeep and even the holiday place as business expenses if you took out or "chartered" both as a nominal package to the odd client or "prospective client." Maybe even turn a handy little profit. Leverage both to the hilt and let depreciation do it's magic. Who cares what resale value it may have later? It's all mortgaged to the hilt. Still, it demonstrates that you're a splendid bloke with an obvious eye for innovation. Throw in hookers and blow and compromising photos with Zelda the Dwarf and her snake Adolf, and that account's nailed down sound as a pound, baby! Like you say, it's a niche market.

bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:33 pm

I bet these comments are similar to the beatings the Mac got when it first came out :?

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 pm

bobflshmn wrote:I bet these comments are similar to the beatings the Mac got when it first came out :?
Well, sort of but not really - when the X boat came out (that was the first one) it sold like gangbusters and they were everywhere - people were buying them left and right - many people who have never sailed before - many people who had never even owned a boat before! The X boat was a raving success by most any standard and I think that is what really made some in certain sailboat communities hate it. I was sailing both the Los Angeles/Long Beach Communities and San Diego at the time the X boat came out and the reaction was different depending on where you were geographically. The folks in LA were not overly negative about the boat - they were just mildly annoyed (that's the best way I can put it). They were pretty established in the yachting community in LA so Marina Del Rey and Long Beach and places North did not pay much attention really. In Orange County (Newport, Dana Point - the X boat was sort of a curiosity that people wanted to see - it was not really a negative reaction in Orange County. In San Diego the reaction to the X boat was disparaging and vicious. Opinions of the 2016 elections is a good way to describe how people in San Diego reacted to the X boat - I could not believe it - people who were friends of mine for many years and had lost many regatta trophy's to me and respected me a great sailor turned on me like I was satan. When I told some of them that I was interested in the new X boat many literally called me on the phone to try to convince to not buy the boat - some threatened that they would never go sailing with me! I could not believe it! It was shocking.

And the things they said about the boat! The lies were beyond sane conversation - one friend told me that people regularly break through the deck stepping on the boat because the decks are so thin - another told me that the hull was so thin that many people put holes in the hull just towing the boat on a trailer. EVERYBODY said the boat tips over constantly. I was told over and over by various people stories of MAC boats capsizing.

People I had sailed with in Mexico, the Channel Islands, Catalina - in some really bad weather and crazy seas - people who regularly chased my transom in races - now all of a sudden were calling me an idiot!! I could not believe it.

That's not ever going to happen to a person who buys a NUVI because there will never be enough NUVI's around on planet earth for anyone to take notice like that - it was the raging success of the X boat that had the sailing community all up in arms. In their minds anyone in the established sailing community that switched to the MAC boats was a "TRAITOR!"

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:18 pm

I still cop that sort of reaction BOAT, to which I reply "Do yo want to race me", we can sail out to buoy 31 and then motor back, funny nobody EVER takes my offer and it shuts them up big time.

Another favorite of mine is "Yeah and hows your back when your all doubled over trying to make a cup of coffee" or "Yeah but at least I can stand up to pee", these guys with their cramped up tiny race boats are easy prey, the compromise so much for a extra knot of boat speed, and they say the Mac is a compromise, yes maybe but no compromise to comfort and livability

bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks Boat, I enjoyed your first hand perspective. Have purchased the D as my first MAC, before moving up to the X our reception was quite different. Everyone we met and sailed with loved our boat. Of course getting our feet wet with the trailer sailors group the Potters; West Write Potter, could have been key to our experience. We have only had the X in the water with family, will never race, so we may be spared the negatives. If not, don't care they can eat wake while I open another beer! :wink: