Inside Stand-up Shower Setup on 26M

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

TheSailingRode
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Inside Stand-up Shower Setup on 26M

Post by TheSailingRode » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 am

We cruise year round and even in Florida it gets chilly taking a shower in the cockpit on a cool day. We worked out a great system on our New Year's trip to setup a temporary shower inside the boat. The video shows two versions. The first one would have worked great but the pop up shower enclosure was about 6 inches too tall which made it difficult to keep its shape. The second version with the shower curtains worked much better. The sprayer is two gallons, plenty for us both to take showers, water temp in the sprayer was perfect by mixing one gallon of boiling water with one gallon of room temp water. My wife is very happy with this solution and now looks forward to anchoring out on winter trips. I put the link for the dog bath and other products we used in the video description.

YouTube video: https://youtu.be/mqPV_O_EDeg

Steve Payment
2010 :macm: 26M
http://www.TheSailingRode.com

BOAT
Admiral

Re: Inside Stand-up Shower Setup on 26M

Post by BOAT » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:57 pm

A good indoor shower is something that becomes an issue sailing the California coastline because so many of the places we moor are congested with many boats in the bays and harbors. I can't get my wife to stand in the cockpit and take her shower with so many other boats around because she does not people to see her. Almost all the bays on Catalina Island have other boats around. The Channel Islands are less crowded but it's cold up there.

I pill post my shower here when I finally get it done.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:56 pm

What ever happened to a simple 1 ltr pail of hot water & a sponge then rinse off with another & a face cloth for the love of !

Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)

tlgeddes
Chief Steward

Post by tlgeddes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 pm

I spent 4 days at the marina in a slip in December. No showers available, in the park, at the marina, or on the boat. I reaaaally could have used this feature. Glad I was alone :D

ris
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by ris » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:16 am

When it is cold we use the pan of hot water and a cloth method same as Highlander. If it is really cold we use the adult body wipes that they use on older people. It will leave you clean. We bought one of those stainless sprayers with a shower head for when it is warm.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 am

My wife will not shower out in the cockpit guys, that's a problem. If we sail all day to Avalon thats 6 hours of open ocean cruising and by the next morning your pretty crusty. When I get to the island I like to spend a few days - but by the third day my wife will not even go ashore because she says she is too dirty. I have to do SOMETHING! Fer crying out loud, you want me to just leave her on the boat while I go play on the island? I can take a shower all day long in the cockpit - although I must admit a get a lot of dirty looks from the family in the 50 foot Bayliner moored next to me.

It's not worth a divorce - I'll just put in a shower. The only hard part is installing it - once it's installed it's no hassle at all - just get in and rinse off. Piece of cake, everyone's happy.

So what's wrong with having a bilge pump out anyways? If your going to have a pump out why not use it?

A lot of Southern California Sailing is destination sailing - you sail from Oceanside to San Diego, or Oceanside to Dana Point or Newport - the deal is that you arrive at a destination and need to stay the night there because all the harbors are about 40 miles apart from each other - when you arrive at a destination it;s nice to take in the sights - go to a nice restaurant, or have friends who live in the area visit you at the dock. What's wrong with a nice shower and clean clothing when your not out at sea?

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 am

Highlander wrote:What ever happened to a simple 1 ltr pail of hot water & a sponge then rinse off with another & a face cloth for the love of !

Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)
That has always worked for us. Saves water and promotes love,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi Boat,

You might remember I recently built a tender out of white 4mm CoroPlastic Sheet. I have no design yet but I think there's good scope for a pop-up/fold-out shower cubical that covers the pit (and Outboard) and partially covers the helm (possibly inside the Bimini) too. So there'd be enough space to shower and get dressed in retaliative privacy. It would be no good in a high wind but I know it would fold up easily and store effectively .... and best of all .... it'll be cheap to make!! :D
If you see my vision too please share any ideas you might get. :wink:

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:54 pm

I do have some experience with CorroPlastic - mostly as a building material for Greenhouses and Gazebos. I did consider it when I was thinking up a shower. In the end I decided to go another way. It's great suff - very light and can really take a beating in any environment:

I have made many showers designed to fit in very small places over the years - one setup was for a pop up camper and had ot fold down to nothing. Another one I did was for my van ind it folds up against the wall (see old video link below).

https://vimeo.com/251228778

I am trying to use every trick I know to get a proper shower into 'boat'.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:35 pm

ris wrote:When it is cold we use the pan of hot water and a cloth method same as Highlander. If it is really cold we use the adult body wipes that they use on older people. It will leave you clean. We bought one of those stainless sprayers with a shower head for when it is warm.
Adult body wipes great Ideal especially if u r short on time like arrive late & want to catch a restaurant before the kitchen closes :idea: I,m gonna watch for them & see if they go on sale lol

J 8)

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Boat said
I can take a shower all day long in the cockpit - although I must admit a get a lot of dirty looks from the family in the 50 foot Bayliner moored next to me.

Well u could always try chumming up to them & see if they would let u use one of their shower,s & if they snub u off I,d put on a pair of mens string thongs "legal" as long as ur frontal is covered up & start taking open cockpit shower,s :D
I,m sure they,ll move on givin u lots more privaciy :wink:

J 8)

PS why r we so squeamish over here lots of places in Euro would not bat an eye if u were to shower naked on deck or sun bath naked on ur boat deck if u see something u do not like u can leave or look the other way !

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Impressive video.... You known your stuff!
BOAT wrote:I am trying to use every trick I know to get a proper shower into 'boat'.
Please share if you come up with anything :)