ballast freezeup

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

motivator
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

ballast freezeup

Post by motivator » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Has anyone ever had their MacGregor get stuck in ice? I live in New Bern NC and we recently had ice formation where I keep my boat in the water. A week previous to this the temperature was balmy and then the next week we had temps in the single digits at night. It didn't occur to me to blow the ballast that balmy day and my boat got stuck. The ice wasn't that deep and I think the ballast is somewhat below water level where it hadn't frozen. Anyone with any experience with this. I worry about the ballast freezing and causing some damage when the ice expands. :macx:

Danhux
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: ballast freezeup

Post by Danhux » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:28 pm

I live In Raleigh, it got cold enough to turn the water in the head to slush before I remembered to fetch it off the boat. What happens to the head and contents if it freezes then thaws? How thick was the ice on the water?

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Should be fine. You would need to freeze the ballast tank solid in order to do damage. If you’re really concerned you can pour potable antifreeze in to reduce the freeze temp of the water.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:40 pm

yukonbob wrote:Should be fine. You would need to freeze the ballast tank solid in order to do damage. If you’re really concerned you can pour potable antifreeze in to reduce the freeze temp of the water.
Or pour some rock salt in there. Maybe even some around the boat where it's freezing to melt it.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:35 am

What about the trough hull?

motivator

Post by motivator » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am

I think it was about an inch thick. I couldn't determine exactly. I went out to the boat on Friday and didn't see anything unusual.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:27 am

More importantly, have you checked the consistency of the water in the ballast? Is it slushy? Is it solid? Is it fine? You are obviously concerned, but have you done your own due diligence?

Ray

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:01 pm

An inch is getting up there. I woudl also start to get concerned. Might be time to take action or haul it.

John Brosda

Post by John Brosda » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:50 pm

:( A few years ago we delayed our annual retreat from the lake into the month of October and the result was dealing with our boat and the entire marina encased in about an inch of ice. A friend and owner of a Bayfield fired up the diesel and acted as an icebreaker to create an ice free channel about two feet behind the transoms of a number of us who were busy trying to chip our way out. As I recall the ballast water was no issue as it resides below the water line but what I didn't take into account was with my centerboard down about an inch of water along the top of the slot had turned to ice and as I loaded the boat onto the trailer it didn't seem to settle as easily as it normally does. At least not until I pulled the trailer and boat out, then the centerboard gave way on the cross beam of the trailer as the ice would not allow it further up into the slot. One new center board later from BWY and it was back on the water in the spring. By the way the next weekend the weather had turned and people were pulling their boats out in bright sunshine wearing shorts with no ice to be seen.