12 volt cooler or refrigerator

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Danhux
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

12 volt cooler or refrigerator

Post by Danhux » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:25 am

Has anyone put any thoughts into using one of these onboard a boat? They are designed for use in cars, trucks and vans for transporting pharmaceuticals that require being kept cold.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lY3Xp ... pI8vA7L7Zw

There are about ten of these at my local Habitat for humanity Restore for I think I saw $100.00 stickers. They have 12v power plugs for cigarette lighters.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uwQGV ... HmtfW4DOPw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1slVC5 ... OeJFPTBnCQ

slugbug
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: 12 volt cooler or refrigerator

Post by slugbug » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Ive thought of getting one some posts here (I think) have stated that they are worthwhile. I use a Yeti cooler just for ice for drinks and am debating about a second Yeti for food and drink to replace regular cooler I now use vs getting one of these electric boxes. Ive heard that once they cooled The contents they work well. My thought is maybe for extended trips it is worth it. I’d still rather have an ice maker.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Designed for the transport of temperature sensitive medicines. Built to control temps within a critical range. I see 'em on ebay for $250
My guess is some lab dumped a bunch to your local Restore.

40w so that's what? 3.3 amps. I can't find much on them. Does it run nonstop?

25l seems like a small capacity. My Edgstar is 43q (40.7l) and I can't imagine anything smaller.
It's an interesting machine. Probably works well as they seem to be focused on precision temps. Not sure if that comes at a cost of efficiency.
Also it says "holds to 4 degrees C or 39F". Does that mean that's as cold as it gets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJa1YUA7rGA

https://www.copblock.org/items/Enviroco ... 84606.html

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:51 pm

they look like thermoelectric coolers, they work ok but suck power (40watts @ 12volts = 2.66amps per hours x 24 hrs = 960 watt hours)

This things run just about none stop unlike compressor driven fridges.

I have a Waco brand thermoelectric fridge and while it works OK I really wouldn't recommend it, spend the few extra $$$ and get a proper compressor driven unit. They work better and are far more economic on power.

My Waco sells for around $250, but you can buy a compressor driven unit for around $600.

The question is, do you want the cheaper option or the one that you will be happy with and do a better job.

In a car the power sucker isnt such a huge issue as the fridge generally runs while the motor is running so the alternator is pouring out power, on our boats we would need 120watt panel (120 watts x 8hrs sunlight = 960 watts) and thats in full sun just to drive this sucker

ris
First Officer

Post by ris » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:06 pm

We have the Engel 35 it uses very little in amps and can be a fridge or freezer. Uses something called a swing motor compressor. Sumner and others use another brand that works almost the same. It was not cheap but we ran it nonstop for over 8 months and still use it occasionally today.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 pm

sailboatmike wrote:they look like thermoelectric coolers, they work ok but suck power (40watts @ 12volts = 2.66amps per hours x 24 hrs = 960 watt hours)

This things run just about none stop unlike compressor driven fridges.
The description mentions a "piston" compressor. So it's not crappy thermoelectric which, I agree, is a total waste of money and energy.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:04 pm

Thats a great price for a compressor driven fridge

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm

I have a dometic mini compressor unit. About the size of a medium Yeti. I love it. I run it off solar during the day. Turn it off at night. Keeps milk etc fine even in summer.
I have a 140 watt array. I use a generator to top off the batteries in cloudy weather.
By afternoon my batteries are full.

Ix

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Concure with great price. Check on eBay.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:41 pm

I am still trying to research this issue - there are a lot of folks on the site that have good experience and i wish they would help.

I have learned so far that the DanFoss Compressor models are the best - but that's just what the internet people say - I would rather get some real opinions from people I trust here on this site so let me pose a question:

If MONEY WERE NO ISSUE - what would be the very best fridge you could buy for the MAC? In other words - uses the least power and performs the best and is still small enough for our boats.

I think the best way to research a product is to start with the very best and work your way down from there be it a solar panel or an outboard motor or an autopilot or a fridge.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:18 pm

BOAT wrote:I have learned so far that the DanFoss Compressor models are the best - but that's just what the internet people say - I would rather get some real opinions from people I trust here on this site so let me pose a question:

If MONEY WERE NO ISSUE - what would be the very best fridge you could buy for the MAC? In other words - uses the least power and performs the best and is still small enough for our boats.
I have heard the same for Danfoss compressors.

If money were no issue, I wouldn't do a cooler I'd build a real fridge with a kit. The problem is where? You carpenter types could probably rig something in the galley or some such place. There isn't much room on these boats.

Sumner does this stuff blindfoled.
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... age-1.html

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:24 pm

I'm not so sure that is the most efficient - ?

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 pm

My bet is that like many things today, the vast number of compressors are built in the same factory from the same parts in China and just have different labels stuck on them as they go out the door

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am

I would buy a cooler style and add insulation to it on the outside. I already cover mine with a blanket.
Ix

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Ixneigh wrote:I would buy a cooler style and add insulation to it on the outside. I already cover mine with a blanket.
Ix
I've got an Edgestar cooler/fridge. It says don't add more insulation or cover it. I don't believe them. They are probably worried about covering the vents. I think I'm going to try adding some additional insulation.