European 26' Trailer Sailors

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Seapup
Captain

European 26' Trailer Sailors

Post by Seapup » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Passing wintertime boat snooping, thought maybe some others are passing the wintertime slowly as well 8) Nice seeing not all new boats are megayachts.

BayCruiser 26 Water ballast - http://swallowyachts.com/range/bay-cruiser-25/

Just read an article in PBO on this one - Sedna 26 Trailerable

https://www.sednayachts.com/sedna-26-tr ... ser-for-sa

Seapup
Captain

Re: European 26' Trailer Sailors

Post by Seapup » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:17 pm

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:49 pm

I just can't take these 4000 pound boats seriously as "trailer boats" because 1500 of the pounds they carry around are just wood products and joinery hardware!

Fer crying out loud, if it's THAT important to some one to have another unnecessary thousand pounds of wood on board that is good for nothing but firewood why not just go ahead and get a regular old boat and skip the trailer???

These people miss the whole point of what putting the boat on the trailer is all about. Once you get under 27 feet there is not much of anything you can do to a hull to greatly improve it's performance because your strictly limited by it's LOW and anything under 27 is going to displace water poorly. There fore, since you can't increase the waterline to increase performance all you have to work with is WEIGHT! When it comes to boats under 27 feet highest performance is achieved with the least weight.

Fiberglass is the superior cost to weight material to use for EVERYTHING because it's light - if you MUST have a "wooden boat" it's much better to just add a few wood touches or trims to an all glass boat then dump in 1000 pounds of joinery.

Not impressed. Just another boat designed for the dentist in mind - not the sailor.

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Many of the keel ballasted 27 footers are carry around 800lbs or more in just keel weight, I always thought a nice combination between keel ballast and water ballast would be the winning formula, say 400lbs in keel ballast and a extra 500lbs of water you could take on when the wind gets up, a bit both of all worlds.

Of course they will never build it because some idiot will try to sail in windy conditions without the water ballast and when the trouble happens they will want to sue the boat manufacturer because the boat isnt safe.

The canting keel is the most obvious answer to having smaller weight doing a more efficient job as ballast, however the logistics of a canting keel in a trailer boat are just horrible.

And just for the record, lack of wood is one of the reasons a Mac was so appealing to me, I have enough stuff to do without refinishing wood every couple of years, and when wood get older and tired looking its a real pain and labour intensive to bring it back.

Now I better get back to the shed and work on those wooden dinghies Im restoring or there will be no dinghy sailing this year

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:36 pm

BOAT wrote:... When it comes to boats under 27 feet highest performance is achieved with the least weight.

...Just another boat designed for the dentist in mind - not the sailor.
If all sailors were concerned about performance, then we'd all just have J24s. 'Sailing' is only 5% of the time, the other 95% is about looking good with boat drinks in hand and upstaging the other guy with better mods! 8)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:15 pm

?

I had no idea those lazy jack systems messed up the sail shape THAT much . ? Even when pointing? (that's the one time you really need good sail shape!)

Man, I guess i will NOT be getting any of those Lazy Jack setups on MY boat - I don't want to mess up my sail shape THAT much!

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:58 pm

BOAT wrote:?

I had no idea those lazy jack systems messed up the sail shape THAT much . ? Even when pointing? (that's the one time you really need good sail shape!)

Man, I guess i will NOT be getting any of those Lazy Jack setups on MY boat - I don't want to mess up my sail shape THAT much!
You just have to release the lines enough to avoid that.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... ng-21.html

I usually have ours set to where they stay set and don't effect the sail shape and still work fine for dropping the sail into the pack. I wouldn't be without them. I now put the main up in conditions I wouldn't of before since it is now much easier and quicker to reef or to drop and store.

Similar to how a furler makes putting the foresail in or out quickly, so you are more inclined to use it,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:26 pm

It's not just the sail shape Sumner - I'm still coming off a trailer 100% of the time so I really don't want to add so much to the rig list.

Also - that Jack rig in the picture you sent does not look like most of the ones i have seen that are sold by the boat stores - is that something special that you made yourself??? :| :|

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 pm

the only thing I see going for it is the extra 6" of beam our macs I think would really benefit from that big time

J 8)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 pm

Highlander wrote:the only thing I see going for it is the extra 6" of beam our macs I think would really benefit from that big time

J 8)

Can't tow it in 38 states if it were any wider.

Also, can't ship it to other countries like CANADA if it were wider (shipping container restrictions).

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 pm

BOAT wrote:It's not just the sail shape Sumner - I'm still coming off a trailer 100% of the time so I really don't want to add so much to the rig list.....
Our reef and lazy jack lines stay attached to the sail, sail-pack and boom. Takes maybe 5 more minutes to attach the lazy jack lines to two lines on the mast and to thread the reef lines through blocks on the mast. Well worth it for me.
BOAT wrote:...Also - that Jack rig in the picture you sent does not look like most of the ones i have seen that are sold by the boat stores - is that something special that you made yourself??? :| :|
By the Jack rig are you talking about the lazy jacks? I put that together from parts ordered separately. You can find more about it here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... ng-21.html

4 small blocks, some line and some rings. Not much to it,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 am

BOAT wrote:
Highlander wrote:the only thing I see going for it is the extra 6" of beam our macs I think would really benefit from that big time
Can't tow it in 38 states if it were any wider.
AFAIK, BOAT, 8'-6 is legal on all interstates, as dictated by the federal govt and enforced through the threat of withholding FHA funding (the way the 55 mph speed limit was forced on states in the 1970's). There are some areas in the metro NYC area with "NO 102" signs, due to the antique, winding, narrow highways.

But it may or may not be legal on state and county and local roads, though most RV's seem to be 102 inches these days, not counting mirrors.

And I agree with John - another 6" width would be really nice. More cockpit, too, at least for my needs, which lean toward day sailing. Making the cabin a few feet shorter wouldn't be a hardship for me at all if I extended the vee berth back a bit to compensate for the loss of space on the starboard side (I use the table for sleeping).

In fact, that Baycruiser 26 looks interesting. More cockpit, less cabin, water ballast, and the interior layout reminds me of my Aquarius 7.0, which was different than the A23 even though they had the same hull for the most part.

The 3190 lb empty weight, if it's anything like the Mac's empty weight (no engine, even), is considerably heavier than the Mac, and is shown on a tandem axle trailer. Still easy to tow, but at least a thousand pounds more. Probably more like 1500 lb more, equipped typically, and with a tandem axle trailer.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:22 pm

I think if the Mac had a beam even 4 inches wider it would improve cockpit space, however on the X I find its got a larger cockpit than most boats of equivalent size, you can sit 3 each side without squashing up.

I know the M has a shorter cockpit (they extended the cabin) which could make the cockpit a bit squashy.

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:25 pm

I had to tow my boat to Tampa for the last storm. I have a van with the ford "small 8" engine. Would not want to tow anything heavier.

ix

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 am

Ixneigh wrote:I had to tow my boat to Tampa for the last storm. I have a van with the ford "small 8" engine. Would not want to tow anything heavier.

ix
Get a Jeep :D , 4 liter straight 6 is like the little tractor that could, the torque is just awesome