A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: European 26' Trailer Sailors

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:10 am

sailboatmike wrote:
Ixneigh wrote:I had to tow my boat to Tampa for the last storm. I have a van with the ford "small 8" engine. Would not want to tow anything heavier.

ix
Get a Jeep :D , 4 liter straight 6 is like the little tractor that could, the torque is just awesome
Or a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 EcoDiesel. :wink:

Unfortunately, they got pulled from the market (along with the Dodge Rams) due to VW's shenanigans and the EPA wanted Chrysler to prove they didn't do the same. Rams with the EcoDiesel are back, but not Jeeps yet. Mine comes off lease at the end of the month, so it looks like another GC, but with the V6 gas engine. :cry:

By the way, BOAT, did you even get the GC with tow package for a grocery-getter and occasional boat hauler?

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:28 am

Well those boats are cute no doubt about it. O couldn't afford a new jeep or even a new boat though ;)
And I am not sure about the carbon fiber mast holding up to real world trailer sailor use.
Id love to see one rigged out as a unicorn lugger though. Maybe the 23 foot version. With an aluminum or fiberglass spar for durability.
Ix

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 am

What does the boat cost?? $$$

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:54 am

kurz wrote:What does the boat cost?? $$$
It looks like the 26' is priced about $55,000 US, and the 24' is about $48,000 US.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:22 pm

K9Kampers wrote:
It looks like the 26' is priced about $55,000 US, and the 24' is about $48,000 US.
incl. motor and trailer? What kind of Motor do they give with it?

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:28 pm

K9Kampers wrote:
So by the time they get to Australia and dealer puts his mark up on it around $120,000 Au :?

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:23 am

Shipping to the US is probably 5 thousand more. :P
Ix

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 am

kurz wrote:incl. motor and trailer? What kind of Motor do they give with it?
The website indicates outboards for the 24', 26' and 30' at 6, 8, 12hp respectively. No indication if engines are factory or dealer items. Nothing said about trailers or dealer network. These boats made in Poland for the last two decades. Website loads sloooooow.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 am

Tomfoolery wrote:
sailboatmike wrote:
Ixneigh wrote:I had to tow my boat to Tampa for the last storm. I have a van with the ford "small 8" engine. Would not want to tow anything heavier.

ix
Get a Jeep :D , 4 liter straight 6 is like the little tractor that could, the torque is just awesome
Or a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 EcoDiesel. :wink:

Unfortunately, they got pulled from the market (along with the Dodge Rams) due to VW's shenanigans and the EPA wanted Chrysler to prove they didn't do the same. Rams with the EcoDiesel are back, but not Jeeps yet. Mine comes off lease at the end of the month, so it looks like another GC, but with the V6 gas engine. :cry:

By the way, BOAT, did you even get the GC with tow package for a grocery-getter and occasional boat hauler?

We did - it's black so the girls named him Darth Vader - it's the first jeep we have ever owned and we were surprised how many people out there are jeep crazy - we had no idea - some people we met will not drive any other car but a jeep - my first experience with one and all I can say is that it is a lot bigger than I expected and although the inside looks like a car it is defiantly NOT a car. It's more like a Dodge Ram truck - I have no experience with Jeeps - I'm more of a luxury car guy and drive BMW and Mercedes so the Jeep is sort of a jarring change to me but I never drive much and the wife loves it so that's all that counts. I still don't understand why the females love driving vehicles that can smash over the tops of other cars and crush them like a monster trucks. I guess the sierra club guys are not going to allow me to sit with them anymore.

Verdejo

Post by Verdejo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:00 am

Pal, you have no idea. Jeep community is nuts. In a good way of course. The name Darth Vader cracked me up haha. Good choice.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:17 pm

I would love another Jeep, HOWEVER Jeep Australia have got the absolute WORST reputation for after sales support, parts price gouging and dealers ripping customers off.

One of the benefits of having a older car (1995) is that I can buy none OEM parts off the internet cheaply, which is lucky because Jeep Australia don't keep stock of much but current model car spare parts.

For example I needed a new starter motor, Jeep OEM quoted $750 (supply only), generic motor spare parts shop quoted $500, bought off the internet (exact same part as the genuine part) $175, it was very much same story when I replaced the radiator, Jeep OEM part was about 5 times the price as I could buy it off the net for the same part.

And just to top it off, my model car was made between 1993 and 1999, nothing changed, Jeep don't stock anything but the most basic parts (In Australia the car fleet is very old so parts for this age car and much older are generally available off the shelf) I mean if I wanted a part for that age of GM car I could buy it from the supermarket just about)

All up the Jeep has been a super car and still runs on the same plugs and I have never changed the oil in the 5 or 6 years I have owned it (Oil leaks means it get topped up regularly, so who needs all new oil :D ). But I would probably not buy a newer one given the experiences with Jeep dealers