Complete lines set for 26x?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Jwnj
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Complete lines set for 26x?

Post by Jwnj » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Is there an easy way to buy the complete set of lines for the boat? Need to replace everything thats external. If cant buy maybe theres a list with size and length and a not expensive source?
Thanks

sailboatmike
Admiral

Re: Complete lines set for 26x?

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:47 pm

So you need to replace all the running rigging?

As a quick guild
Jib sheets are normally 8 or 10mm and around twice the boat length (I personally use 8mm 1 1/2 boat lengths (40 feet) and find it great) 2ea required (52 feet per side)
Genoa Sheets would be the same but 2 1/2 times the boat length 2ea required (65 feet per side)
Spinnaker sheets 8mm and 3 times the boat length 2ea required (78 feet per side)
Main Sheet 10mm and around 40 feet
Boom vang 8mm and around 30 feet

Buying a drums of line (300 feet or 100 yards) normally gets around a 25% discount off cut lengths

Stretch the budget and buy good quality "LOW STRETCH" UV resistant line, it works out cheaper in the long run for a few extra cents a foot, cheap line will have to be replaced much sooner.

Others may differ, best to get a few opinions, we all like things a bit different, some like thicker line on their sheets as its easier on the hands, I like thinner line for my sheets as it improves the sail shape in lighter winds especially the spinnaker

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:03 pm

I will certainly defer to the previous post on running rigging, but I do like to use dedicated mooring lines that are long enough to "double up". That is, long enough to go to the cleat on the pier and back again to the cleat on the boat. I prefer 1/2" line 25 feet in length, preferably nylon double braid (New England). When underway, I coil each line, still with the eye splice through and around the horn cleats on the boat, tying it off to the pulpit or stanchion, as appropriate, so I always have the mooring lines ready to deploy when tying up. My boat is in the water at a marina full time, in Florida, so I like to be able to harden up my rig for storms/hurricanes as needed without too much extra effort.

bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:55 am

Jwnj wrote:Is there an easy way to buy the complete set of lines for the boat? Need to replace everything thats external. If cant buy maybe theres a list with size and length and a not expensive source?
Thanks
Blue Water Yachts sells complete line sets, and you would have a hard time beating the price.

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 am

sailboatmike wrote:....Stretch the budget and buy good quality "LOW STRETCH" UV resistant line, it works out cheaper in the long run for a few extra cents a foot, cheap line will have to be replaced much sooner...
If you aren't into hardcore racing New England Ropes Sta-Set is very popular and a high quality line. We just bought a lot of running rigging for the Endeavour and found...

https://www.dynamicsailor.com/store/cat ... g-Rigging/

... to have the best pricing and our shipping was free and they got it right out and to us. We bought Sta-Set in different diameters and colors. Couldn't be happier,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm

I've installed mid-ship cleats on both my Mac 19 and 26X. When I get ready to leave the dock I double up the line on the mid-ship cleat, and un-cleat the bow and stern lines and bring them aboard, to the cockpit and tie the ends together.
I then pull the mid-ship line aboard.
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL :mac19: :macx:

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:I've installed mid-ship cleats on both my Mac 19 and 26X. When I get ready to leave the dock I double up the line on the mid-ship cleat, and un-cleat the bow and stern lines and bring them aboard, to the cockpit and tie the ends together.
I then pull the mid-ship line aboard.
Curious where you installed the mid-ship cleat on the X. I have frequently rigged a temporary mooring line to the winch. Since I use my working jib and not my Genoa, I thought about putting a cleat-moded car on the Genoa track.

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:00 pm

I don't recall exactly where/how I installed my mid-ship cleat(s). I'll look tomorrow and take a picture.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:29 pm

I use the winches and I have a midship cleat mounted about 1/2 way along the cabin directly under the life lines as springer line points, seems to work effectively

Spector
First Officer

Post by Spector » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 pm

Jwnj
Deckhand

Post by Jwnj » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks guys i dont need anything high performance just got an X that sat around for a while so looking for lines and sails i will look into the links

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Dont look at good line as purely high performance, good line is a investment that you wont have to replace for many years.

I almost had a nasty accident when I put cheaper line on my furler, the line deteriorated after a 6 months or so due to the UV, lucky I was doing some checking on the dock and while unfurling it snapped, I went over backwards, if that would of been on the water I would of either seriously hurt myself (not many places to fall on a boat with crashing into something) or gone overboard.

Lesson learnt, good quality UV protected line is all I use, there is plenty of strain on the lines and if they let go because you wanted to save a few dollars the consequences far outweigh the cost saving you made buying the cheaper stuff.

Water is the most dangerous environment we operate in, so minimising that danger is a very high priority

Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ponaldpe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:43 pm

http://www.onlineropestore.com/index.ph ... f78e82f4f8

This seem to be a good place to start.

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:27 pm

bobflshmn wrote: Blue Water Yachts sells complete line sets, and you would have a hard time beating the price.
They do? You mean all in one kit? Or do you mean you can buy them all one at a time, but they are all cut to length?

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 pm