Motoring with just the rudders?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Mr Seas
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Motoring with just the rudders?

Post by Mr Seas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 pm

Mr Seas, Blake, hails out of Southern Utah near Zion National Park. Our Boat is called Mrs Seas.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:48 pm

Neo wrote: I was wondering what it would be like if I centered and fix the OB, then under low power, just steered with the rudders .
Yes, this is what I do all the time.

I only connect the motor to steering when docking. Then I use the BWY quick connect and attach the motor centered once I clear the marina.
Of course high speeds you need to pull all fins up and reconnect motor.

This works well for sailing as I can then tilt motor up with sails or drop it when under power.
Yes, if you need a tight turn, you'll want to drop a board to give some grab, then pull it back up. If you have a really tight turn (like in a marina) you'll need to reconnect the motor.

--Russ

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks Russ 8)

DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by DaveC426913 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:20 am

In my experience, motoring w/o the C/B makes for very wide turns.
It would be OK in open water, but I've had some major sphinctorial puckering in the harbor when forgetting to drop the C/B.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:22 am

DaveC426913 wrote:In my experience, motoring w/o the C/B makes for very wide turns.
It would be OK in open water, but I've had some major sphinctorial puckering in the harbor when forgetting to drop the C/B.
I know what you mean, when that channel marker is coming up rapidly and your just skating across the water instead of turning away from it, a highly puckering moment :?

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:30 am

Yeah, that sums it up nicely 8)
DaveC426913 wrote:In my experience, motoring w/o the C/B makes for very wide turns.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 pm

That's interesting.

The M does turn wider without board, but not like what you X owners are describing. I've found myself in the marina with poor turning and realized I forgot the board down.

Can't you drop your centerboard just a few inches to get a good bite? The M's dagger needs to go down much more to achieve the same surface bite.

I have dropped the dagger a bit at certain speeds to avoid the motoring "wobble/zig zag".

--Russ

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:03 pm

RussMT wrote:Can't you drop your centerboard just a few inches to get a good bite? The M's dagger needs to go down much more to achieve the same surface bite.
The :macx: has that long swing CB, which makes a pretty effective 'skiff keel' with only a little showing.
RussMT wrote:I have dropped the dagger a bit at certain speeds to avoid the motoring "wobble/zig zag".
I can't speak to the :macm: behavior at just under hull speed, but my :macx: wanders all over the place without some CB, even if it's only shallow. And one rudder at least. But then, I hardly ever open it up these days, so I rarely move without boards down. :|

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:20 pm

RussMT wrote: Can't you drop your centerboard just a few inches to get a good bite?
A little or a lot'l. As long as you remember to put some down.

I've got a few dock-splinters in my prow from Launch Day, forgetting to lower the C/B (after six months on-the-hard).

[ EDIT ]: My boat has. Not me personally. I have no dock splinters in my prow. And I sure don't leave it on-the-hard long enough that I forget how to use it.

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:57 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:[ EDIT ]: My boat has. Not me personally. I have no dock splinters in my prow. And I sure don't leave it on-the-hard long enough that I forget how to use it.
Careful ... you could be banned from this site. :D ... Small fonts won't protect you :wink: