Cruise to Desolation Sound this summer

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Mr Seas
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Cruise to Desolation Sound this summer

Post by Mr Seas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 pm

Hello to all my fellow MacGregor owners,
I will be cruising to Desolation Sound this coming summer about the third week of July. I will leave from Anacortes and spend about three weeks on the water going up and back. If anyone is interested in joining up please let me know.

Blue skies and fair winds,

Mr Seas

:macm:

dive4it
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Cruise to Desolation Sound this summer

Post by dive4it » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:21 pm

I'll be leaving out of Anacortes with my Mac X that same time for a tour around the San Juans and Gulf Islands. Maybe I'll see you there :)

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 am

There's a possibility we'll be passing through that area in late June, on the way farther north. We'll keep an eye out for fellow Macs.

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:42 pm

How far north Chinook?

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Well, I hope to circumnavigate Vancouver Island. All depends on the crew situation.

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:51 pm

We've planned a San Juans trip for the past two years and haven't been able to pull it off. Hopefully this year will happen. I don't have dates set yet, but would definitely like to meet up.

Jeff

Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:28 pm

Hello,
We are definitely getting up there this year, Desolation Sound has been on my list for a while now. We too have had our plans go awry for the last 3 years. Right now (with too many assumptions) it looks like end of August through the second week of Sept. Who knows what the future will bring but for now it's on the books.

Maybe I'll run into some of you...

Don

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:10 pm

If you can’t do the circumnav of Van island aim for Calvert and Hecate and the Hakai institute, lots of great beaches in that area, Bella Bella and Shearwater are a ways away but doable for restocking.

TimLa
Just Enlisted

Post by TimLa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:36 am

We're planning the San Juans last half of July. Moving to New Mexico in 11 days, leaving the boat here, then driving back for a San Juans Farewell tour, and haul the boat back south. People thought we were crazy taking the boat with us, but San Diego, Sea of Cortez, and Gulf of Mexico are all a one day drive.

So yes, we'll be in the islands after July 15.

tlgeddes
Chief Steward

Post by tlgeddes » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:03 pm

TimLa wrote:We're planning the San Juans last half of July. Moving to New Mexico in 11 days, leaving the boat here, then driving back for a San Juans Farewell tour, and haul the boat back south. People thought we were crazy taking the boat with us, but San Diego, Sea of Cortez, and Gulf of Mexico are all a one day drive.

So yes, we'll be in the islands after July 15.
When you get your boat to NM look up the sail club at RGYC.net (Rio Grande Yacht Club).

Bpollard2016

Post by Bpollard2016 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:16 pm

FYI - We are planning a Sunshine Coast cruise starting out of Vancouver first of July this Summer for 2 weeks.....anyone else in that area at that time? :macx:

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Our plans have been changing. Going around Vancouver Island isn't going to work this year, and I'm targeting Princess Louisa Inlet instead, probably in early July. Maybe I'll see you up there.

bwygirl
Engineer

Post by bwygirl » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:14 pm

May see us too! Look for the "Woman to Blame" J130 ! If you see us come by to say Hi! We tried to get to Princess Louisa last year but weather and damage to a friends boat held us back. Send the dates when you know.
Cheryl

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Well Maybe I,ll get to see some of you,s this summer , with the mild winter here this yr I,ve kept my boat in the water at the condo so as I can do some maint. & finish off some Mods. I Installed my new H/P steering cable from BWY now I have zero slack in my steering what a diff. removed my old home fabricated engine steering brkt that I temp installed 9yrs ago lol & bought a used one manufactured by Mercury which fits from 75-150HP so way stronger than my old one but slightly longer so my eng. no longer align,s with my rudders so now need to shorten my quick disconnect steering rod I also bought from BWY yr,s ago lol , now waiting on my new Radar Arch I ordered back in Mid Dec hopefully in by April , also looking at taking a class course on Tides & Currents for this area some time in the spring .
So really looking forward too getting some good sailing in this yr :)
Also as I mostly sail alone I,m open to having working crew on board so if any of you,s know someone in the Victoria area who,s a sailor & would like to crew on a Mac let me know !

J 8)

Sailor Dale
Just Enlisted

Post by Sailor Dale » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 pm

I've been thinking about trailering from Portland to Anacortes, ferry to Victoria, then driving 300 miles to Telegraph Bay to launch there. Explore the Broughton Islands and mainland fjords, with an eye for marine life and bears. Anybody done anything like that? Open to comments - thinking about doing it mid-summer.