Spinnaker for 26m

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Patbrogan
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Spinnaker for 26m

Post by Patbrogan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Looking for suggestions and ideas on how to pull this off for SF bay and delta sailing with a spinnaker.
As a former racer I love the beauty of a spinnaker and was able to find two lightly used ones for sale which I bought. One is for a Catalina 27 with dimensions of 30.5’ luff and leach (symmetrical) and 17’ foot.
The second is for a j 24 and is symmetrical and 27’ 8” by 15’.
I was planning on adding a mast hound 18” below top of mast with a harken block and new 3/8” halyard.
I have the blue water bowsprit which allows usage as an asymmetrical kite. Given my deals were both symmetrical I think I can sell the larger and keep the j24. I could add a pole and either fly it from the mast adding a topping life and downhail or locate it attached to the mast at deck level. I also have things (tweakers) to control
The kite and would use the blocks on the rear track.
I’m looking for any advice on how to use what I have with the fewest new additions!
I also saw for sale on eBay a cool drifter form the 26m
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2222155160
Which was explained to me as:

New message: Hello A drifter is more like a gigan...

eBay
New message from: somersetsails_8003239464 (1,030Red Star)
Hello
A drifter is more like a gigantic genoa but with a special shape that makes it work like an asymmetrical spinnaker.
The foot is much longer than a spinnakers foot but has less area at the top of the sail, thus easier to handle.
The performance is better than a spinnakers in a close reach .
A lot of sailors find that attaching a pole to the deck (bow sprit) and attaching the tack of the Drifter (Cruising Code Zero) to the outer end improves performance.
Martin
Somerset Sails
800-323-9464, Martin

Your previous message

What is a drifter? Like a Gennaker? Does it fly on a macgregor A’s an asymmetrical or symmetrical?

NEW MacGregor 26M Drifter 24' Luff 21' leech 18' foot, 1.5 ounce Rip-Stop Nylon
NEW MacGregor 26M Drifter 24' Luff
Price: $600.00
Buy it now
Watchers: 2
Quantity Remaining: 3
Buy it now
Get to know the seller somersetsails_8003239464

• Located: Barker, NY, United States
• Positive Feedback: 100%

We scan messages to enforce policies. Only purchases on eBay are covered by the eBay purchase protection programs. Asking your trading partner to complete a transaction outside of eBay is not allowed.

Email reference id: [#a04-bhcwc8k0lq#]_[#3b8dee1d21a442fc9c9a7e020b393ffa#]

We don't check this mailbox, so please don't reply to this message. If you have a question, go to Help & Contact.

eBay sent this message to Pat Brogan (pjb13). Learn more about account protection. eBay is committed to your privacy. Learn more about our privacy notice and user agreement.

©2018 eBay Inc., 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Spinnaker for 26m

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 pm

The problem using a symmetrical as a asymmetric is that the sail is all the wrong shape, to much belly in the middle which will cause the boat to round up, the asymmetric would be cut with the belly back toward the leech.

I have a old symmetric I'm going to have a go at recutting into a blooper or drifter, not that we get much light winds but our trailer boat racing rules at the club forbid the use of spinnakers, this makes it really tough on the heavy old Mac which is at her best running down wind, we weigh double what many of the boats we compete against do and its like trying to compete with one hand tied behind your back on light days

Patbrogan
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Patbrogan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Let me know how the recurring goes. The dimensions of my spinnaker are only about 1/2’foot off the Doyle ones, though that doesn’t address the “belly”.

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:53 am

I made a mistake, she won't round up, she will turn down wind as the center of effort will be to far forward, sorry, me bad :D