Is this the boat for me?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Noboatnow
Just Enlisted

Re: Is this the boat for me?

Post by Noboatnow » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:24 am

kadet wrote:
Noboatnow wrote:Really appreciate the reply and this leads me to another question. I tried to search for efficiency. What is the best outboard for cruising at hull speed? I'm not looking to get there fast, I'm looking for the journey!
At hull speed it makes not real difference if the motor is propped correctly, the amount of power and thus fuel consumption is pretty close. If it takes 6hp to get to hull speed a 9hp is at 2/3 WOT whereas a 60hp would only be at 1/10 WOT to make the same power. You don't get power for free if the motors are both relatively efficient then you have to burn the same amount of fuel to produce the same amount joules.

A small motor may have a slight advantage in weight saving.

Also if you are pushing against a strong wind and tide, and you need 12hp your 60 can do it as you have reserve power, your 9 won't.

Great points! Also, it's a motor sailer after all! If I put a 9.9 on it,mint would just be another sailboat with a kicker.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:27 am

kadet wrote:
Also, isn't the "flash point" of diesel "higher" than gas? If it were "lower it would be MORE flamable. 8)
Well yeah higher temperature but lower risk, I am dyslexic so give a guy a break and isn't it inflammable from the Latin verb inflammare, which combines flammare ("to catch fire") with a Latin prefix in-, which means "to cause to." 8)
Flash point of gasoline is something like -50F [-45C], making it "flammable", and of diesel it's a fair bit over 100F [38C], making it "combustible". I think that's the right nomenclature. I used to know that stuff way back when I had a haz-mat rating on my license. :?

Just stuff that fuel truck drivers (I used to haul fuel trailers long ago) and fire departments (I had a red plastic fireman's hat when I was a kid) need to know, I suppose. :wink:

Noboatnow
Just Enlisted

Post by Noboatnow » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 am

NiceAft wrote:Noboatnow,

Many good points made since my posting. The best was to get training.

If you are in the the U.S., I can’t stress enough to you taking a Coast Guard Auxillary sailing course, or some other sailing course. There is so much more to being on the water than just knowing how to use the wind to make your boat go forward. It’s easy to get injured, maimed, killed, while on the water just by doing the wrong thing. Don’t become the wrong type of statistic. Take a sailing class.

Ray.
I'll be joining the local sailing club and plan to take the 101 again. I also plan to get pretty active in the club since I really need something outside of work anyway. They do a lot of racing and it seems they are always looking for crew. Not exactly storm training, but still good sail time.

I'm cautious, almost to a fault. I'm also a bit anal, maybe to a fault? I'll know every nut, bolt, screw, and wire on any boat I own.

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am

Before you purchase any used boat if I were you I would post on here what year and make the boat is so others can tell you the pros and cons of that particular year.... some years have stainless rudder brackets some not some thicker thinner ....not all M models or X models are created equally ..... I did not do that but just by coincidence landed on a 99x which was I believe the first year of stainless steel rudder brackets... depending upon what you wants are realize that changes were made during certain years

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 am

I'll give my opinion on what I would do if I were u....this is strictly an opinion....if the bahamas is the goal and nothing short of that will "satisfy this dream" much like myself if I had it to do over again I would buy a 26x with a blown engine or no engine at all to put a smaller engine on it....something i could remove by hand while at sea and replace with my spare 9.9 - 15 hp and I'm sure even over in Nassau one could pick up a spare cheap small hp outboard ...or learn to clean out a float bowl and spray out carb jets.... if my 50hp died out in the exumas I'm sol and at the mercy of whatever mechanic I can find and when he can get around to it and until then I'm stuck trying to tie my dinghy to the side of my boat lash it down start it to use for power ....total pia ...i believe in redundancy and self reliance so if I could do it over again id pick a smaller engine simply so I can remove it by hand... id also pick a 99 or newer x because the rudder assembly ....i won't go in much detail here as the other thread on rudder weakness is going on 9 pages and would totally derail this post but I believe a stainless mac x is superior in ease of upgrade to rudders...an M model rudders are recessed an x hangs off the back making welding fabs to the transom plate much easier.... you are still a long ways away from a trip to the exumas BUT it wasn't a long time ago I was on here asking those exact same questions

Ps I wouldn't eliminate the older macs with a centerboard that kicks up either and more I think about it.....i quite possibly would have chose that route as it may not be superior in stock form but one look at the transom shows how easily it would be to fab new bracket and a big thick mohaggany rudder and for half the cost

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Fwiw I feel a 20 is a good size. Not sure if the fuel economies is any better. 9.9 is too small to shoot the cuts with.
Ix

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 am

Or of course the simple way to have the best of both worlds is have a 9.9 on a outboard bracket hanging off the transom that you could use as a dinghy motor and a spare main motor is required.

The 9.9 should push you along pretty well and be a fuel miser and you can always fire up the big boy should you need handfuls of power.

As they say everything on a boat should have at least to purposes, so you get a dinghy motor and a nice little kicker to use either as a spare or just to give you a shove when motor sailing without consuming buckets of fuel. Personally I find the 75Hp in gear at idle does a great job as a pusher if the wind is dropping out and we need to motor sail and it uses minimal fuel, maybe 3 liters a hour, but I dont think prolonged running at idle is great for a 2 stroke, so pack extra plugs if your going to do that

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:23 am

9.9 on a outboard bracket hanging off the transom that you could use as a dinghy motor and a spare main motor is required.
sailboatmike you must be a weightlifter a 9.9hp like a yammy weighs in at around 40kg, I struggle to lift my 16kg kicker on and off the dingy 8)

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:56 am

Yea me either. No way I'm putting a 9.9 on a dinghy without help. I'd use a 6hp maybe.
Also: don't the modern motors have a slow speed "trolling" mode that prevents plug fouling?

Ix

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:19 am

Don't forget your plans for your "tow beast". Lot's of opinions about those. :)
whgoffrn wrote:Before you purchase any used boat if I were you I would post on here what year and make the boat is so others can tell you the pros and cons of that particular year.... some years have stainless rudder brackets some not some thicker thinner ....not all M models or X models are created equally ..... I did not do that but just by coincidence landed on a 99x which was I believe the first year of stainless steel rudder brackets... depending upon what you wants are realize that changes were made during certain years

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:02 pm

You can get a 2 banger 9.9 that weighs in around 27Kg (https://melbournemarine.com.au/9.9Hp%20 ... e%20weight) , 4 strokes are savage heavy, My 6Hp single cylinder Tohatsu sail drive (which would also be a great motor with its extra long leg and high thrust prop) weighed in at 28kg. The Tohatsus are a renown engine for this sort of stuff and really do sip fuel at the rate of around 1 liter per hour.

Many great reviews of these little motors pushing much bigger heavier boats for many hours in some nasty conditions

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 pm

My 6HP mercury four stroke weighs about 27 KG. It’s quiet, and clean.

Ray

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 am

sailboatmike wrote:You can get a 2 banger 9.9 that weighs in around 27Kg (https://melbournemarine.com.au/9.9Hp%20 ... e%20weight) , 4 strokes are savage heavy, My 6Hp single cylinder Tohatsu sail drive (which would also be a great motor with its extra long leg and high thrust prop) weighed in at 28kg. The Tohatsus are a renown engine for this sort of stuff and really do sip fuel at the rate of around 1 liter per hour.

Many great reviews of these little motors pushing much bigger heavier boats for many hours in some nasty conditions
And illegal now in most of the world except third world countries like Australia, you cannot get a new small 2 stroke in the USA where the original poster is from. :P

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:16 am

kadet wrote:And illegal now in most of the world except third world countries like Australia, you cannot get a new small 2 stroke in the USA where the original poster is from. :P
The US government is pushing coal, I'm sure that 2 stroke outboards are not as bad as burning coal :D

Seems like a bit of hypocrisy to me

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:17 am

Well only one thing for it then gotta get the Admiral,s into weight training sounds like the best solution to me !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POh-sgvX6cg

Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)