Raising the boom for Bimini cover

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Raising the boom for Bimini cover

Post by Ponaldpe » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:25 pm

I was thinking about raising the boom 8 to 12 inches, to get more head room in the cock pit and for the taller Bimini .But lately with all of this talk about installing a short mast for none sailing. Has got me thinking why not put that 8 to 12 inches on the top of the mast. BWY said they have cut offs to make short mast. So why not? Has it been done? what will be the draw backs?

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Raising the boom for Bimini cover

Post by sailboatmike » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 pm

Been done, BWY made a tall mast X, they needed double spreaders to stop the mast from bending.

Here is the link to the article they posted about it http://www.bwyachts.com/tallrigx.html

taylormade
Engineer

Post by taylormade » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 am

I'm planning on doing that without adding anything to the mast, just moving it up a foot or so to give bimini clearance. It's been done plenty from my research here over the years.

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:00 am

taylormade wrote:I'm planning on doing that without adding anything to the mast, just moving it up a foot or so to give bimini clearance. It's been done plenty from my research here over the years.

Are you going to shorten the Main sail?

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:43 am

Ponaldpe wrote:Are you going to shorten the Main sail?
If they are original factory sails a little bit more bag in the sail would hardly be noticeable :D

taylormade
Engineer

Post by taylormade » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:22 am

Ponaldpe wrote:
Are you going to shorten the Main sail?
So funny story about that... the PO of my :macx: cut 3' off the mast and shortened both sails so that's already been taken care of for me :D

Since then, I've purchased a new mast, I just haven't gotten around to replacing all the rigging and moving the hardware over. I suppose when it's time to buy a new sail, I'll either be reef sailing or need to get it shortened, yes.

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:48 am

taylormade wrote:
Ponaldpe wrote:

So funny story about that... the PO of my :macx: cut 3' off the mast and shortened both sails so that's already been taken care of for me :D

Since then, I've purchased a new mast, I just haven't gotten around to replacing all the rigging and moving the hardware over. I suppose when it's time to buy a new sail, I'll either be reef sailing or need to get it shortened, yes.

I am having a time trying to find me a couple of foot to match my mast . My boat is 2003 26M with the 3x5 mast, so it might be sometime before I can try this idea out. BWY has the newer mast 3x4.5 but none of the older one unless they find a piece laying around. Someplace over in Tampa ,I think , their is a salvage yard will have to go and try one day.

taylormade
Engineer

Post by taylormade » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:29 am

Ponaldpe wrote: I am having a time trying to find me a couple of foot to match my mast . My boat is 2003 26M with the 3x5 mast, so it might be sometime before I can try this idea out. BWY has the newer mast 3x4.5 but none of the older one unless they find a piece laying around. Someplace over in Tampa ,I think , their is a salvage yard will have to go and try one day.
Yeah there are a few HUGE salvage yards in St Pete. I'm sure they'll have what you're looking for.