Used V-birth Rear-birth pads avaliable in Dallas Tx.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

LeePierce
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Used V-birth Rear-birth pads avaliable in Dallas Tx.

Post by LeePierce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 pm

I am upgrading my V-birth and my Rear-birth pads, so my existing pads are available from my :macx:
They are in reasonably usable shape, (not new but not embarrassing either).

About to go in trash if you want them.

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Used V-birth Rear-birth pads avaliable in Dallas Tx.

Post by RussMT » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Just curious, what are you upgrading the foam pads to?

Am I to assume you mean foam and not the full cushions?

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 am

If they've got covers, I'll very gratefully take the lot and am happy to send postage. I have no rear berth pads at all (just a few anti-fatigue mats), and the forward berth ones were homemade by the previous owner's wife. Just PM or email me if they're still available Thanx!

LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am

RussMT wrote:Just curious, what are you upgrading the foam pads to?

Am I to assume you mean foam and not the full cushions?

I am replacing the whole things including the covers.
For me, the boat ends up being a water going camper, so the front now has a 8" queen foam memory mattress and we will be putting something similar in the rear for my son.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GT ... UTF8&psc=1
Yes the 8" makes the feet very tight in the nose, but that is much better than having my hips sink through to the fiberglass (I weigh 270, had to do something).
I am considering gaining some feet height by cutting out the front flotation under the anchor locker, or... extending the bed area onto the seat for the table.
I would fill/extend the seat all the way across.
That would make the table a 2 seater, but after about 3 more years we will be empty nesting again.
I did try and talk the Admiral into converting the table at bedtime, but she will not have it.

Other interior mods:
I picked up an ATV weed sprayer from Northern Tool, https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200624833
It fits under the left bench like it was designed to go there, it is pressure activated after you turn it meaning it only runs when you open the tap.
Combined with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR ... UTF8&psc=1 for a much easier kitchen sink.
I cut the sink and floor out of the head, re-installed a porta-potty where the sink used to be (had to re-build part of the floor). I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A ... UTF8&psc=1 as a potty because it is very narrow, not sure I like its mechanism compared to other brands, and it does not hold in place very well, think I may try a Theford as I have been happy with their products in my camper.
Now when one stands up from the potty, your feet are directly on the hull, but I gained about 7" so I can almost stand up. At least I can pull up my pants.
It is not the most attractive thing yet, I still need to make it look good, but at least now I can....
Actually Sleep, get up at night and do my b-room business in the b-room instead of having to fall out of the b-room and dress, wash both hands at the same time in the kitchen sink.
Added an Origo 2000, and replaced interior lights with led that can be red or white, the red is very good for at night.

Lee

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Your mods look great. When you are done with the cosmetics, you should post them here so others may benefit.
I have the same porta potty. It's 5 gals and works well for us.

We have an M so our head is different config. I always thought the X you could stand up. The M is NOT standup. Can barely sit in that head.

I've considered memory foam replacement. It would be much better. Is it possible to cut the memory foam to fit the V-Berth?

BTW, I think Bilgemaster is interested in your cushions (see above).

LeePierce
Deckhand

Post by LeePierce » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:41 pm

you can cut the foam with a bread knife no problem.
it will not be "clean" but once you put a sheet and stuff it in place, it does not matter.

No, a 5.9 person can not stand in the X head.
once I cut the floor and added 6 to 7 inches in one spot (the main structure beam runs under the head), you can sort of stand if you hunch your neck over

Shipping = I have no idea how I would ship the things.

paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 pm

I had new bottom siders cushions (for a different boat) shipped to me a few years back. The shipping cost was well over $100 and would have been even more if I had them shipped to a residential address instead of my work address. For that price you may be better off shipping just the covers and letting the new owner replace the foam locally. You may also be able to cut that shipping cost significantly by removing the covers and rolling the foam. It wasn't the weight that cost all the money to ship those bottom siders, it was the oversize box. And bottom siders don't roll.

Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Was at Ikea today and checked some of the mattresses they had. Admiral and I found a couple of nice firm ones about 4"-5"thick. 55" x 74 /78". Names were nyhamn and lycksele. Much nicer than the originals we have. More in line with the thickness and firmness of the bench seats of our M. Anyone used or familiar with these? They fold in half which I liked for getting under for the adds ends kept back there.

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:48 am

LeePierce wrote:[...snip]

Shipping = I have no idea how I would ship the things.
I imagine that if you were to just bring them in to one of those UPS Stores or similar they could square them away and get them on the road somehow. Suffice it to say that I am happy to cover all shipping and handling costs via PalPal, check, money order...however you like. I'll shoot you a PM with my details directly.