Ready for spring and summer

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Danhux
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Ready for spring and summer

Post by Danhux » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:23 pm

We are ready for warm weather, tired of the cold.

Under that big gray tarp, our Mac 26M is waiting for warmer weather, I'll settle for 50 and dry.

1st Sail
Captain

Re: Ready for spring and summer

Post by 1st Sail » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I agree. Fortunately for you spring will arrive sooner than here. Sympathies to our northern / Canadian friends that have some time before spring. Mine is stored in the warehouse and I stare at it every day.

DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by DaveC426913 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:22 pm

I'll settle for the lake not being hard and bumpy.

T-minus 43 days and counting.

Bobglas
Engineer

Post by Bobglas » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:01 pm

I'll settle for the 4 feet of snow trapping my lovely to melt! :|

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:38 am

We are ready for warm weather, tired of the cold.
Amen! My spring break is in 2 weeks, going to be a chilly week on the boat if it does not break soon!

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Danhux wrote:We are ready for warm weather, tired of the cold.

Under that big gray tarp, our Mac 26M is waiting for warmer weather, I'll settle for 50 and dry.
We just got back from Houston, TX a couple of hours ago, visiting family. Sunny and warm, like 70's warm in the afternoon. I was watching an evening ball game in shorts and a tee shirt while the locals were literally in parkas and hats with blankets over their legs while sitting on seat warmers, as it dipped into the low 60's.

The admiral wants to move to some place that's warmer (sooner) than here. 8) 8) 8)

Oh, and we landed in flurries, and I had to snow blow the driveway once we got the house open. This is getting old, as am I. :|

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:18 pm

I feel sorry for u guy,s was 16c here at the dock while I was working on the boat & it was 70F in the cabin

U can see my boat on the second biggest finger dock with the green enclosure

I been working on her all winter trying to get all my unfinished mods done & doing a steering up-grade
Tom how r u doing , nice to hear from u , u need to get an inground heated driveway ? :) :P

J 8)

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:55 am

Doing well, John. Looks like things are going swimmingly for you out there. Boat in the water all winter? Not bad. 8)

As to driveway heat, I prefer infrared driveway heating from an extra-terestrial source, and I like to get it for free. It's not available up here, especially when the driveway slopes north and is partly blocked by the house. And we get 100 inches or so of snow per year.

It'll be a while before I can even think about pulling the tarp, I'm afraid. But I like your setup, and would actually consider (and I can't believe I'm saying or even thinking this) a condo with dock. :| Somewhere that's warm a lot. :)

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:34 am

I’ve had a lot of nice sailing weather here, but have been otherwise occupied due to an infortunate lightning strike. Boat was in the basement, but the fire department put the fire out before it got that far down. Almost have my life back enough to think about sailing again. Looking forward to responsibility changing - the weather has been great. Well, except for last April...

Last edited by Jimmyt on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am

Oh Crap :|

& I thought I had a bad day...

Are you guys ok? Anyone hurt?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:02 am

Wow, I hope everyone is ok, other than loss of residence and major life disruption and such. :?

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:12 am

Everyone is fine and no animals were injured in the making of these photos. I was next door helping a neighbor put a 59 gmc truck on a trailblazer chassis. Heard the bomb drop and knew it was close, but kept working. My phone rang a few minutes later with a neighbor saying she thought something was on fire at my house. Turns out it WAS my house. Fire department was there in about 9 minutes. Turns out there was an 8 apartment fire competing for firemen - also a lightning strike. As you know better than I, approximately 20 minutes of burn time results in a man-size fire. I was lucky it didn’t get below the second floor.

I was fully insured and got a good contractor. Got a few projects accomplished during the rebuild that were on the to-do list. All in all, just lost about a year of retirement. If I can just get the basement clean enough to get the boat back in, all will be well. I’ll have another year of documenting and replacing contents, but that won’t be as stressful as the rebuild.

By the way Gaz, I admire your ability to turn your trip into something - in spite of all of the “challenges”. Truly inspirational!

paula_ke
Chief Steward

Post by paula_ke » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Well, the best solution to cold weather blues to to go where the weather is warm!

Spent the winter in Mulege, Baja Sur. They have a nice boat ramp and lots of islands and a giant bay (Bahia Concepcion) to investigate. Got 17 days and 16 nights on the water this winter. (along with all my dirt bike riding and 4X4 adventures :-)

:macm:

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:09 pm

there was more people shot in Mexico last month than in the whole last century the highest # ever recorded as per their own stats & also an Iowa family found dead on a weeks vacation including 12 yr old son & 7yr old daughter only last wk
Coca-cola is closing there second bottling factory due to gang violence against it,s workers & factories & it,s half Mexican owned mostly due to lack of police support & corruption , the two local town Mayors who tried too help & save the locals their jobs were shot ! . Gotta feel sorry for the good hard working people . But I,m sorry I will not b giving any of my hard honest earned money to such a corrupted system & then b shot & mugged or murdered for my gratitude of trying to help out & share the wealth buy spending my money in places where the locals really appreciate it & r very courteous & friendly but r unfortunately controlled & fear the local gangs due to local police corruption a sad day for them :(
Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:06 am

Highlander wrote:there was more people shot in Mexico last month than in the whole last century the highest # ever recorded as per their own stats & also an Iowa family found dead on a weeks vacation including 12 yr old son & 7yr old daughter only last wk
Coca-cola is closing there second bottling factory due to gang violence against it,s workers & factories & it,s half Mexican owned mostly due to lack of police support & corruption , the two local town Mayors who tried too help & save the locals their jobs were shot ! . Gotta feel sorry for the good hard working people . But I,m sorry I will not b giving any of my hard honest earned money to such a corrupted system & then b shot & mugged or murdered for my gratitude of trying to help out & share the wealth buy spending my money in places where the locals really appreciate it & r very courteous & friendly but r unfortunately controlled & fear the local gangs due to local police corruption a sad day for them :(
Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)
Not getting into politics, but just stating figures, the number of gun deaths in Mexico is just about on a par with the USA historically

USA 10.45 deaths / 100,000 people
Mexico 11.23 deaths / 100,000 people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... death_rate

Yet Mexico is supposed to be basically a third world country (I have been to Tijuana and it REALLY was third world) while the USA is supposed to be a world leader in the first world.

Given the amount of poverty, corruption and drug gangs in Mexico one would think the rate of gun death would be significantly higher in a third world country than in the bastion of the "Free World"

Just my 20 cents worth :P