Ready for spring and summer

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Ready for spring and summer

Post by dlandersson » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:46 am

In the news yesterday, a family of four vacationing in Mexico was found dead - all four. The local authorities are investigatinhg. The drug and violence problems in the non-vacation spots are "bleeding" over to the tourist areas. :wink:

Nauti Nell
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Nauti Nell » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:49 am

Taking numbers from your link Mexico has almost double (6.34 vs 3.5) the homicide rate and even then approx. 4% of gun deaths aren't accounted for in the year specified for Mexico (2015 vs 2014 for the US). The # of privately owned guns per 100,000 is 15 for Mexico (if you follow the links the #'s are all over the board for Mexico) and 101 for the US. The extra numbers give a different perspective. After taking a stat class 35+ yrs ago I decided I would always take them (stats) with a couple of pounds of salt.
Except Consumers Report.
Just a grain or two for them.
When I bought my boat from a retired Tucson police officer it came with charts of Baja and the northern portion of the Gulf of California. He stated he had stopped going due to questionable occurrences he encountered while down there. My wife, who used to fly in and out of central Mexico 8/10 times a year, was always suggested to not leave the compound.
I will be taking the boat out of the slip this June and putting her in the backyard. Soooo much easier to do mods with shop just feet away instead of 45 miles away. Hopefully a few months in the yard will get her ready for some island hopping next winter.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:04 am

Nauti Nell wrote:I will be taking the boat out of the slip this June and putting her in the backyard. Soooo much easier to do mods with shop just feet away instead of 45 miles away. Hopefully a few months in the yard will get her ready for some island hopping next winter.
That's one of the reasons I sold the keel boat and got another trailer boat. It sits in my driveway in the spring, which is a few steps from the garage, and a bit more to my basement wood shop, and in my in-laws' RV parking spot all winter, which is walking distance from my house. And if I need to do any big work once at its slip, I could always fold it up and take it home, but that's a pain to do, and I've always done the harder stuff before launching. And it's only 10 minutes away anyway. 8)

Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:23 pm

sailboatmike wrote:
Not getting into politics, but just stating figures, the number of gun deaths in Mexico is just about on a par with the USA historically

USA 10.45 deaths / 100,000 people
Mexico 11.23 deaths / 100,000 people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... death_rate
those figures are only for firearm-related deaths. Homicide rate is over 3 times higher in Mexico compared to the USA.
Mexico 16
USA 5

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC ... 5?view=map

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:41 am

I think your missing the point, America is supposed to be the bastion of the "Free World" yet its gun murder rate is over 54% of that in Mexico (USA 3.5 / 100,000 population, against Mexico 6.4/100,000) .

While I'm sure some of Mexico is "First World" the greater majority is "Third World", with that sort of poverty goes increases in crime rate.

Of first world countries the USA has gun homicide rates 10 to 15 times high higher than the majority, so if you want to compare apple with apples you need to look at first world countries.

Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:10 am

sailboatmike wrote:I think your missing the point, America is supposed to be the bastion of the "Free World" yet its gun murder rate is over 54% of that in Mexico (USA 3.5 / 100,000 population, against Mexico 6.4/100,000) .

While I'm sure some of Mexico is "First World" the greater majority is "Third World", with that sort of poverty goes increases in crime rate.

Of first world countries the USA has gun homicide rates 10 to 15 times high higher than the majority, so if you want to compare apple with apples you need to look at first world countries.
Hey sailboatmike,

My only point here is that if we are going to talk about violent deaths then you have to talk about overall homicide rates that go beyond just guns.

Best,
Sea Wind

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 am

Thanks for being polite everyone

Technically its a Front Room topic but we have a history here of grownups making their own rules rather than having to over-moderate.

We appreciate this.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Catigale wrote:Thanks for being polite everyone

Technically its a Front Room topic but we have a history here of grownups making their own rules rather than having to over-moderate.

We appreciate this.
Well said, we are after all adults (my children often question if I have actually grown up yet) and I would think most topics could be debated if done so respectfully.

Differing opinions are part of the rich tapestry of life, how boring would it be if we all agreed on everything and if people didn't have differing opinions mankind would still be back in the stone age and think the Earth is Flat.

Now there is one NOT to get me started on, the "Flat Earthers" :P

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 pm

U r wrong u know the world is flat it,s just a circular stair case, I think I just sailed off the NWP top step & missed the next three steps due to having too much sail cloth up Oh well if my next calculations r right I should arrive somewhere in San Fran in a couple of wks I,ll keep u posted :P

J 8)

paula_ke
Chief Steward

Post by paula_ke » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:09 am

There is a big difference between mainland Mexico and Baja. The family you spoke of died from a gas heater accident. I suppose that never happens here in the US. Baja Mexico has the largest Ex Pat community in Mexico and Central America. It, along with food exports, are their major source of income. Baja Mexicans are doing _verry_ _well_ as I have observed their standard of living rise broadly and rapidly over the past 11 years. One of the keys to keeping the gangs out are to keep the population working and healthy. They do this very well in Baja. Well, that and the the drug and weapons checks every 100 miles or so on Mex 1. To the best of my knowledge, schools are not getting shot up in Baja. Quite honestly, because of the lack of guns in Baja, I feel much safer.

Freeze up there in the cold north if you like. I'll sail the warm winter seas in Baja.

:macm:

paula_ke
Chief Steward

Post by paula_ke » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:21 am

dlandersson wrote:In the news yesterday, a family of four vacationing in Mexico was found dead - all four. The local authorities are investigatinhg. The drug and violence problems in the non-vacation spots are "bleeding" over to the tourist areas. :wink:
Why did you co-mingle the vacation deaths with drug and violence? This is how fake news gets started. To be clear, the investigation found that they died from a heater failure pushing carbon dioxide into the room.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:49 am

paula_ke wrote:
dlandersson wrote:In the news yesterday, a family of four vacationing in Mexico was found dead - all four. The local authorities are investigatinhg. The drug and violence problems in the non-vacation spots are "bleeding" over to the tourist areas. :wink:
Why did you co-mingle the vacation deaths with drug and violence? This is how fake news gets started. To be clear, the investigation found that they died from a heater failure pushing carbon dioxide into the room.
Of course NOT in this case but FAKE NEWS, is a term that has taken on new meaning of late, normally the person proclaiming the "FAKE NEWS" knows very well that its not "FAKE NEWS" but REAL NEWS that they don't want to hear.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:23 am

Roger, the carbon poisoning result wasn't made until much later. I was wondering how an entire family died. 8)
paula_ke wrote:

mac n cheese
Chief Steward

Post by mac n cheese » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:25 am

paula_ke wrote:Well, the best solution to cold weather blues to to go where the weather is warm!

Spent the winter in Mulege, Baja Sur. They have a nice boat ramp and lots of islands and a giant bay (Bahia Concepcion) to investigate. Got 17 days and 16 nights on the water this winter. (along with all my dirt bike riding and 4X4 adventures :-)

:macm:
Spring and summer....are you kidding me? In Calgary at the moment the temperature is -13 Celsius and lightly snowing on this April spring day.

I googled Mulege, BC Bahia Concepcion. Wow. Hmmm....that slice of paradise down there has me thinking come retirement. I like my dirt bikes too. :)

A random pic I found from the area.

The waters look very appealing. Not to mention the opportunity to cruise up beside a whale shark.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 pm

For some of you long time board members, you may remember Pokerrick.

Rick lived and sailed Baja California for six months, and then packed up and left. Here is his complete posting of that.

“I have come to my senses - - - the rock has hit me in the head - - - after 4 ½ months living in San Felipe, BC, Mexico, we have decided that this is a great place to visit, but we don’t want to live here anymore and on Friday, 10/31, we are returning to the USA permanently - - - and will head toward the Las Vegas, NV area to relocate, where I will try to refrain from gaining back the weight I lost here (fat chance)! We have learned that even though we live comfortably in a gated community where all the residents are either American, Canadian or British, this IS a third world backwards country, and we miss many of the American amenities not available to us here - - like movie theaters, KFC, and car radio we can understand, and decent Internet connections other than WiFi. However, most of the reason for not remaining here has to do with the Mac - - -

1) The sailing here s u c k s :( In the summer, although the winds are perfect, it is too hot to sail during the day (105 or so average) - - - so there remains a very small sailing window of opportunity in the early evening only - - - and it is STILL very hot then - - - so four months out of the year sailing opportunity is limited, and I’m a guy who got out 250 times in 2007 while I was in Marina Del Rey, so I like to get out A LOT - - - but I DON’T like sailing at night. At this time the temperatures are better for sailing, but the winds are way too strong for me - - - for me that is not fun as most days I singlehand.

2) The marina here REALLY s u c k s! It is basically unprotected from the Sea. If you go to Google Earth and type in San Felipe, BC, Mexico, and then go south from town along the beach you will see the Sea Wall with three sides and an opening to the Sea on the east wall. The engineers who built this wall really messed up because there is no channel out to the Sea to protect the harbor, just a hole in the seawall. Basically then, when the wind gets up to about 30 MPH (basically every other day since summer ended), the water comes both OVER the wall from the north or through the entrance from the east and you can surf inside the harbor if you so desire! Add to that the fact that they put the recreational docks and fuel dock in the worst possible place (in the southwest corner of the harbor instead of the much preferred northwest corner) and we wind up with an ABSOLUTE DISASTER on our docks when the wind blows!!! The water CRASHES over the docks and rocks even the big boats unmercifully! The experienced guys who know tell me that these brand new docks will not last through their first year - - - they are getting ripped apart already. After the first weekend of wind here, my Mac sustained a bunch of damage, including a five inch vertical split in the hull from crashing against the dock after not one, not two, but THREE lines broke, which I think goes all the way through - - - hard to tell because the inside wall in the V berth is covered with a carpet like wall covering. I had the boat secured no where near the docks - - - a LOT had to happen before it could bang against the dock - - - and it all DID!! Fortunately the split is very high on the hull, just below the deck, so the boat did not take on any water. The split is about at the end of the forward windows on the deck.

Another major piece of damage occurred to the shore power receptacle, which was ripped completely out of the hull. The wiring is still there and apparently intact, but it will take a new receptacle and some careful fiberglass work to repair correctly. I had two coils of the shore power line around the safety lifeline before it was plugged in - - - so it must have taken a heck of a beating to sustain that much damage.

I am now told by the other recreational sailors here (all of whom are more experienced and know much more about the area than I) that the winds will sustain at 30 MPH+ for much of the time until summer arrives again - - - so I had to pull the boat out of the marina, both to protect it from further damage and to get it repaired (my deductibles are high enough that I will just have to eat the cost of repairs). After I got “The Nuts” back on its trailer I noticed another problem: when I put the boat in the water on 9/9/08, the bottom paint was in LIKE NEW condition. When I pulled it on 10/14, the paint is GONE on the front half of the hull and almost gone on the aft half (another dime ($1,000) down the tubes)! So I said to myself “self, how the h e l l did this happen”? At first I thought it might have been a result of some kind of electrolysis - - - but then one of the “old salts” explained it to me. Because of the monster tide fluctuations here (21 feet now) the sand on the bottom of the first mile out into the Sea of the water REALLY gets stirred up, causing the water to take on a greenish, gray-brownish color and causing the water to be VERY concentrated with sand the first mile out - - - which acts like sandpaper (pardon the pun) on the hull when it slices through the water - - - which has in JUST ONE MONTH sanded the paint off the bottom (BEAUTIFUL – JUST BEAUTIFUL). This, of course, would be a recurring problem if I stayed here (I wondered why the fishing Pangas don’t have bottom paint).

I knew conditions would not be perfect here for sailing - - - and I AM SPOILED having previously been based in MDR - - - but this is awful and I can tolerate it no longer! It’s not that I didn’t do my homework before moving here - - - I did - - - but nowhere were these kind of winds mentioned as prevailing most of the year - - - I was very specific in trying to obtain that information. Add to that the fact that the Mexican Government could not have located the recreational docks in a worse place in the harbor (and this is the last one they built in the ladder around Baja - - you think they would have learned something), and the fact that the fishermen (in the Pangas) hate recreational boaters for being in their harbor in the first place, and boating here has become a most unpleasant experience!! I surrender - - - time to go - - - without sailing, this is a nice place to visit, but

Now I want to ask you guys who live around Las Vegas and Lake Mead (I know about Lake Mead and Calville Marina - - - I was there for Mead Madness in 2006), what other bodies of water exist around there which are suitable for a Mac??? It seems to me Calville is a long way to travel to get out on the water. How big are the alternatives and how far from maybe the 15 and 215?? I need to be on the water in a slip!

We have learned much here and I don’t regret the experiences, but it is time to return home.

Rick :) :macm:

I don’t imagine that things have changed much in the nine plus years since he posted the above.

For me, it just does not seem wise to abrogate commonsense, just to sail where it’s warm and cheap, where armed police have road check stations every few kilometers.

A few years ago a Philly cop on vacation was the victim of a con where the police were on the take. A relative of my wife lived in a Mexican gated community, and had to hire armed guards to be part of a caravan whenever he left his compound.

This is just a polite response to enlighten those who believe they have found Nirvana in the Baja.

The difference between a wise person and a smart one, is that a smart person knows how to get out of a situation, which a wise one would not have gotten into in the first place.

Rick has not posted in about six years. I hope he is alive and well.

Ray

P.S.For fear of re-creating the nasty years of the Pub’s “Back Room”, I have no intention of responding either way to responses to my post.”