26X Makeover

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Chinook
Admiral

26X Makeover

Post by Chinook » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Stories about our sailing trips captured the imaginations of a young couple we know, a few years ago. They decided to start shopping for a used 26X. It didn't take them long to find just what they were looking for. It's a 1998 model, very lightly used and virtually unmodified. A blank canvass so to speak. They love how we have our boat set up but, with 2 kids under the age of 3, very demanding jobs, and building a new home, the big issue for them was time. They had set money aside for a long list of improvements, but couldn't carve out sufficient time to tackle all the projects. My friend reached out to me and asked if I'd be willing to work on his boat. In a moment of weakness I said "Sure". My weakened memory had temporarily suppressed the fact that my boat projects have evolved over the past 16 years of ownership. Also there's the small bit of me being 16 years older than when I started work on my boat. It's a lot harder to scrunch down into those impossibly hard to reach places these days. However, I'd agreed to tackle the job, and I'm now well into it. I've cut enough holes to sink a battleship, and have removed enough fiberglass to practically build a whole new boat.

The list of projects is daunting, to say the least. New galley front with 3 drawers and 2 cabinets. Counter top with fiddle edge, equipped with Dometic sink/propane stove unit. Raised platform for side settee, which provides a place for the vee berth extension and gives enough head room for the new water tank. New VHF radio flush mounted overhead above the battery box, plus remote mikes in the cockpit. New ignition battery and pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries for house battery, along with combiner/battery switch, charger, and shore power plug in. Instrument panel above the battery box (off the end of the galley, with 10 switch breaker panel that incorporates voltmeter and ammeter, dpdt switch for anchor/steaming light, 110 volt receptacle, 12 volt/usb outlet, main breaker switch, and bilge pump control switch. New water system including deck fill, 9 gallon rigid tank, cartridge filter, and pressure pump. Solar powered fans for the vee berth and head. New anchor, bow roller and modified anchor locker lid. New cd player mounted in custom housing, below the vhf. Rewiring the whole boat. New Engel frig and Nature's head composting toilet. I'm sure there's more, but not coming to mind right now. It's pretty incredible to see all these boxes of new up to date accessories, and putting it all together in one fell swoop. For the first week I could hardly move when I got home, but I'm slowly working my way into boat rigging shape. I'm about at the midway point, and it's really fun to see things start to come together. I've learned from some of my mistakes (my boat has served as the prototype), and I think this one will turn out even better. It's been handy having something to measure from. We're all looking forward to going cruising together this summer.

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: 26X Makeover

Post by dlandersson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:58 am

I have some things I'd like done. :P
Chinook wrote:Stories about our sailing trips captured the imaginations of a young couple we know, a few years ago. They decided to start shopping for a used 26X. It didn't take them long to find just what they were looking for. It's a 1998 model, very lightly used and virtually unmodified. A blank canvass so to speak. They love how we have our boat set up but, with 2 kids under the age of 3, very demanding jobs, and building a new home, the big issue for them was time. They had set money aside for a long list of improvements, but couldn't carve out sufficient time to tackle all the projects. My friend reached out to me and asked if I'd be willing to work on his boat. In a moment of weakness I said "Sure". My weakened memory had temporarily suppressed the fact that my boat projects have evolved over the past 16 years of ownership. Also there's the small bit of me being 16 years older than when I started work on my boat. It's a lot harder to scrunch down into those impossibly hard to reach places these days. However, I'd agreed to tackle the job, and I'm now well into it. I've cut enough holes to sink a battleship, and have removed enough fiberglass to practically build a whole new boat.

The list of projects is daunting, to say the least. New galley front with 3 drawers and 2 cabinets. Counter top with fiddle edge, equipped with Dometic sink/propane stove unit. Raised platform for side settee, which provides a place for the vee berth extension and gives enough head room for the new water tank. New VHF radio flush mounted overhead above the battery box, plus remote mikes in the cockpit. New ignition battery and pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries for house battery, along with combiner/battery switch, charger, and shore power plug in. Instrument panel above the battery box (off the end of the galley, with 10 switch breaker panel that incorporates voltmeter and ammeter, dpdt switch for anchor/steaming light, 110 volt receptacle, 12 volt/usb outlet, main breaker switch, and bilge pump control switch. New water system including deck fill, 9 gallon rigid tank, cartridge filter, and pressure pump. Solar powered fans for the vee berth and head. New anchor, bow roller and modified anchor locker lid. New cd player mounted in custom housing, below the vhf. Rewiring the whole boat. New Engel frig and Nature's head composting toilet. I'm sure there's more, but not coming to mind right now. It's pretty incredible to see all these boxes of new up to date accessories, and putting it all together in one fell swoop. For the first week I could hardly move when I got home, but I'm slowly working my way into boat rigging shape. I'm about at the midway point, and it's really fun to see things start to come together. I've learned from some of my mistakes (my boat has served as the prototype), and I think this one will turn out even better. It's been handy having something to measure from. We're all looking forward to going cruising together this summer.

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:02 am

Well Mike;

Once again, you've gone above and beyond the call, Mike. & while it's opened up I know I don't have to tell you: make sure the new Captain helps you - regardless of his time draws. He, as Capt, Needs to understand the: who, what, where & the when of His boat. I reccomend shifting roles & responsibilities. By delegating to them this premise - If you don't know what & how it's done - you can't fix it, when it breaks 8)

It's more than required reading, it's required Doing :wink: Despite ur best intentions. If he doesn't know - he needs to. & if he can't handle it, then perhaps they need to reassess their priorities. & family is #1. Knowing how to protect them & what will be required is His responsibilities & u, like me, am retired :|

Yeah, I'll teach you how to fish in our spare time; But it's Your responsibility to take care of you & yours New Capt :|
'Heavy is the head..."

So my friend, I'm recommending you: teach them [him] how to fish... & let him appreciate & attach to the joy of modding... Give yourself a break - you're retired- & got the Tee shirt; right? Going through our mod flow is what grew us & attaches us All to, "The Dream 8)

The "Fun" is in "The Journey"...
Can I get an "Amen"...

taylormade
Engineer

Post by taylormade » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:53 am

Sounds like you're one heck of a friend! You know what would make this thread even more enjoyable?

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:34 pm

My friend works at home, operating a cidery that's in the early stages of development, and growing fast. They specialize in heritage apples, and are working toward the high quality end of hard cider. They've won several awards, and it's fun to see a family business, started from scratch and growing as a result of a great concept, attention to detail, hard work, and good decision making. Since my friend lives on the premises of the cidery, he's involved in the project every chance he can get. He makes sure all the stuff I need gets ordered, and I can have him on scene at a moments notice for a particularly tough job, or to make key decisions, like where to install something. I should also add that I'm being paid for my work, although my rate is just above minimum wage. And don't get any ideas about me going into the boat rigging business. I'm pretty sure I'll be retiring from this kind of work once this project is completed.

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Chinook wrote:My friend works at home, operating a cidery that's in the early stages of development, and growing fast. They specialize in heritage apples, and are working toward the high quality end of hard cider. They've won several awards, and it's fun to see a family business, started from scratch and growing as a result of a great concept, attention to detail, hard work, and good decision making. Since my friend lives on the premises of the cidery, he's involved in the project every chance he can get. He makes sure all the stuff I need gets ordered, and I can have him on scene at a moments notice for a particularly tough job, or to make key decisions, like where to install something. I should also add that I'm being paid for my work, although my rate is just above minimum wage. And don't get any ideas about me going into the boat rigging business. I'm pretty sure I'll be retiring from this kind of work once this project is completed.

Kudo,s to U

I do admire ur generous offer to help a neighbor & young family into the sailing word as marine boat labour is not cheap if they had to pay a boat yard ! , but as Gazmn said he needs to know how these mods r being done because some day he may need that knowledge so it,s nice to hear he is avail. to help & learn
I,m retired now too & enjoying the time to b able to finish off some long time started mods & making some up-grades before summer gets here :)

J 8)

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Update on the 26X makeover project. It's done! (Well, very nearly done.) Only took 5 weeks of work, but my friend has one sweet Mac cruiser now. New AIS VHF radio with remote cockpit mike. New pressurized water system. New galley with stainless sink, fold down faucet, and 2 burner propane stove. Storage drawers in galley. Propane cabin heater. Pair of 6 volt golf cart deep cycle batteries in series for house battery. New breaker panel with volt and ampmeters. Shore power. Bilge pump. Main 12 volt and shore power shut off switches. New CD player. Engel refrigerator. Air Head composting toilet. Cabin fan. All new wiring. Rewired mast and new antenna. Solar powered vents. Kicker motor bracket. New LED cabin lights. I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the projects, but you get the idea. One thing I learned through all of this. It was a whole lot easier doing these things 12 to 15 years ago, when I was doing the major improvements to our boat for the first time. By the end of the day I could barely drag myself home. Glad I did it though, and the owner is glad as well.

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Mike:
I'd love to see pictures. I've saved a number of pictures of your boat so that I could try to copy some of your ideas. Anything you did different on this boat and why would be very helpful.

Jeff

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Chinook wrote:Update on the 26X makeover project. It's done! (Well, very nearly done.) Only took 5 weeks of work, but my friend has one sweet Mac cruiser now. New AIS VHF radio with remote cockpit mike. New pressurized water system. New galley with stainless sink, fold down faucet, and 2 burner propane stove. Storage drawers in galley. Propane cabin heater. Pair of 6 volt golf cart deep cycle batteries in series for house battery. New breaker panel with volt and ampmeters. Shore power. Bilge pump. Main 12 volt and shore power shut off switches. New CD player. Engel refrigerator. Air Head composting toilet. Cabin fan. All new wiring. Rewired mast and new antenna. Solar powered vents. Kicker motor bracket. New LED cabin lights. I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the projects, but you get the idea. One thing I learned through all of this. It was a whole lot easier doing these things 12 to 15 years ago, when I was doing the major improvements to our boat for the first time. By the end of the day I could barely drag myself home. Glad I did it though, and the owner is glad as well.
Nice work Mike
I know the felling now try to finnish off some old Mods that never got completed for one reason or another & start new one,s which I bought the stuff to do yr,s ago but never had the time to do or schedule , but now retired & have the time I thought , seems I,m busier than ever :o , but at least on my own schedule :)

J 8)