Simple battery support?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Simple battery support?

Post by DaveC426913 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm

I hate the way my batteries are attached.

They are held to the inside face of the fore and aft settee on either side of the galley with just a large U-shaped strap. I don't think there's anything supporting them underneath. They have to be held in place with one hand while I thread the six inch long bolts into the strap and settee wall with the other. And they aren't even in a battery bucket.

I'd like to have them supported underneath, so I can unbolt them and lift them out as two steps.

I haven't found any mods that show a better system.

Suggestions?

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Simple battery support?

Post by RussMT » Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Good topic.

My batts are held in the same way and I've never liked it. The M has them under the steps and there is very little room there. I'd be curious what others have done to secure them.

--Russ

Danhux
Deckhand

Post by Danhux » Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 pm

The bats on our M are located one on the port side storage bin by the steps, the other is right under the stern well, you have to lay on your belly and work over and around the steering linkage to do anything with the accessory wiring. It really makes no sense why they are located where they are, if you consider where all the switches are and accessories are located.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Tue May 08, 2018 9:53 pm

My PO reinstalled the two battery bank under the forward V-berth, but the control switch and charger for the starting battery is located under the small seat aft of the galley. I have found that a very good arrangement because it gets the weight of the batteries forward. He built a wooden box to hold the batteries, but I keep them in plastic battery boxes anyway. The wiring runs along the ballast tank under the galley and port bench seat.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Tue May 08, 2018 9:55 pm

Battery switch and charger placement.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue May 08, 2018 10:06 pm

On my :macm: , I jammed thick pieces of styrofoam into all crevasses around the batteries. Right, left, front and back. The two batteries don’t budge. Each of my two AGM’s weigh about sixty pounds; they don’t move.

I also added a battery monitor. It shows the both the percent of charge in each battery, and actual volts in each.
http://a66.tinypic.com/30932af.jpg

Ray

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed May 09, 2018 8:08 am

Herschel wrote:Battery switch and charger placement.
That's where my two Group 24 batts are, in battery boxes with lids, on a piece of plywood (don't remember if/how it's secured), and strapped over the top with the usual web straps through those flat hold-downs.

Battery switch is on the face of that compartment, facing inboard. Not my first choice for placement, but it would leave a lot of holes if I moved it, and it's actually quite convenient, so that's where it'll stay. Charger is on the aft-facing surface, but I have to make sure it stays clear (mostly from cushions) so it doesn't overheat.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 am

Here,s what I done last yr
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26165&hilit=battery

lots of pic,s of how I done it

J 8)

mac n cheese
Chief Steward

Post by mac n cheese » Wed May 09, 2018 5:39 pm

My groups 24's are mounted on the port side adjacent to each other of my :macx: . I would suggest a Moeller tray as opposed to a battery box.

https://www.amazon.ca/Moeller-Marine-Ba ... B000MT95LY

Secure the tray to plywood or facsimile providing its rigid.

See my installation looking aft though the stove access. Secure a rubber shock mount to plywood. You will need
to be creative to compensate for the hull curvature. I used bolts (2X) for the 2 rubber pads allowing adjustment of the length using jam nuts
and fender washers. The rubber pads I used came from an old inverter gas generator.