Fuel tanks?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Duquette5
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Fuel tanks?

Post by Duquette5 »

Ok I've finally picked out a motor and having it installed next week. My :mac19: currently has no fuel tanks, those fuel lockers look awfully small. Can someone recommend a tank that will fit those lockers or should I just get a 20 gallon cell and mount it below? I'm not sure we'll ever sleep in the berth as I'm 6' and looking at it I don't think I'll fit well...
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Fuel tanks?

Post by K9Kampers »

Kevin (kmclemore) is one that I know of that has a fuel cell mounted in his aft berth. There are threads on the subject in the archives.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I think I had two 9 gallon tanks in my :mac19: when I had it ?

J 8)
Duquette5
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by Duquette5 »

J - I was inspired by your setup with the twin tanks but cant find those Tempo's now. They've changed the design and now they are 22" long. Twin 6 gallon tanks just aren't that appealing to me. I thought about the after berth setup because I don't really see us using it except for storage.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

The originals are still sold - just not so much in the US. I have two spares still in the box. :wink:

https://www.amazon.ca/Scepter-Sceptor-M ... B000MTB73S
Duquette5 wrote:J - I was inspired by your setup with the twin tanks but cant find those Tempo's now. They've changed the design and now they are 22" long. Twin 6 gallon tanks just aren't that appealing to me. I thought about the after berth setup because I don't really see us using it except for storage.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Duquette5 wrote:J - I was inspired by your setup with the twin tanks but cant find those Tempo's now. They've changed the design and now they are 22" long. Twin 6 gallon tanks just aren't that appealing to me. I thought about the after berth setup because I don't really see us using it except for storage.
I would think for day to day use twin 6US Gallon tanks would be more than adequate, the 19 is a lot smaller and lighter than the 26, I used to worry and carry around 2 full tanks in my X but these days I only ever fill one as I find at normal motoring speed of around 6 knots or even better motor sailing at the same speed would give you many many hours of fuel.

My 75Hp Mercury 2 stroke is hardly what you would describe as a fuel miser yet when putting around at 6 knots we use around 1/2 gallon / hour and better when motor sailing as the outboard is really just at idle in gear turning that big prop
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

K9Kampers wrote:Kevin (kmclemore) is one that I know of that has a fuel cell mounted in his aft berth. There are threads on the subject in the archives.
Yes, I do indeed. 18 gallons below decks. Keeps the weight low in the boat (better balance), frees up the lockers in the cockpit and I don't have to shuffle tanks around. I like it very much.