outboard operation in macX

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

bonati
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

outboard operation in macX

Post by bonati » Sun May 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Hello , a new question ( may be already dealt with in previous posts) calling for help from the experienced sailors

In the directions for use of outboard it is indicated that if powering faster than 5mph both the FB and the rudders have to be up.
I tend to accept it FBwise but if I decide to put on engine for a fast return to harbour in case of that bad sea / wind conditions appear my experience is that using solely the outboard as rudder is not enough steering, specially to keep course in bad conditions. Also it is difficult to see what is 5mph SOW in these conditions. What is actually the reason for this?

Thks in advance

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: outboard operation in macX

Post by RussMT » Sun May 13, 2018 4:09 pm

The fins can't take the stress of high speed water against them. Also, the surfaces when turned sharply can creat "lift" and unexpected results.

I leave rudders down when I need extra steering, but rarely over 7MPH.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 pm

I really do not think you have to worry about the engine being able to steer the boat, especially if it is a 50 h.p going at a good speed. The only time you need the centerboard and rudders is going at a very slow speed with a lot of wind and even then mostly just when docking.

Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol » Sun May 13, 2018 11:12 pm

yup, when docking i put the rudders down and the dagger board about a foot.
really helps.
if its really windy, i will fill the ballast tank, another reason to have the rudders down, is so that they dont hook on anything at the dock- pilings etc, while in the up position.

Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol » Sun May 13, 2018 11:15 pm

another thing,
the :macm: has a dagger board, there really is no real reason to have flip up rudders,besides with them being cleated down, they wont flip up anyway.
i am going to look into a cassette type mod for the rudders- i really dont like those things sticking out the back when trailering or motoring.

sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting » Mon May 14, 2018 3:32 am

Wayne's comment about hooking up rudders isn't really relevant in an :macx: Our rudders stow vertical so no need to worry.

As for motoring with them down, yes you definitely get better control slow and at speed, I often motor full throttle with mine down and locked in position with the hold down rope, they don't cause any safety issues and they give incredible steering response, having said that I wouldn't want them to hit anything at 18 knots, I definitely don't motor at speed with the keel down.