26x with CDI Roller Furler question

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Post Reply
randall330
Just Enlisted
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:05 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by randall330 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:45 am

The admiral and I are the proud owners of a 2002 26x. We have pretty much got everything down except the proper routing of the sheets for the 150 Genoa on of the roller furler. We have tried to route through the Jibe sheet and we tangle the clew of sail in the side stays. Tried routing the sheets outside the stays and it just didn't seem right. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: 26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon May 21, 2018 8:20 am

You need to use the stand-up blocks on the cockpit coaming for the genoa, with the sheets terminated at the winches and camcleats on the cockpit roof. Sheets go outside the stays; they'll rub on the stays when the sail is furled, but they'll be well clear of them when the sail is deployed, which is the only time it matters.

Are there tracks on the coaming, similar to the tracks on the cabin roof?

randall330
Just Enlisted
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:05 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: 26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by randall330 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks. So if I use the Genoa's reefed in should I move the sheets to the tracks on the roof?

paul I
First Officer
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:43 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Re: 26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by paul I » Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 am

Tomfoolery wrote:You need to use the stand-up blocks on the cockpit coaming for the genoa, with the sheets terminated at the winches and camcleats on the cockpit roof. Sheets go outside the stays; they'll rub on the stays when the sail is furled, but they'll be well clear of them when the sail is deployed, which is the only time it matters.

Are there tracks on the coaming, similar to the tracks on the cabin roof?
I use the standup blocks in the cockpit tracks as well, but I just tie a stopper knot at the bitter end of each sheet and allow all the slack to wind around the furled genoa. I don't secure anything to the winches or cam cleats.

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: 26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon May 21, 2018 10:18 am

paul I wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:You need to use the stand-up blocks on the cockpit coaming for the genoa, with the sheets terminated at the winches and camcleats on the cockpit roof. Sheets go outside the stays; they'll rub on the stays when the sail is furled, but they'll be well clear of them when the sail is deployed, which is the only time it matters.

Are there tracks on the coaming, similar to the tracks on the cabin roof?
I use the standup blocks in the cockpit tracks as well, but I just tie a stopper knot at the bitter end of each sheet and allow all the slack to wind around the furled genoa. I don't secure anything to the winches or cam cleats.
I meant use the winches and camcleats for sheeting while sailing. But I too wind most of the slack for storage, which helps prevent the sail from coming undone in a blow, but I still terminate on the winches and cleats. I hadn't even thought of just letting the stopper knots bottom out in the blocks. :wink:

User avatar
sailboatmike
Admiral
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Australia

Re: 26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by sailboatmike » Mon May 21, 2018 5:30 pm

randall330 wrote:Thanks. So if I use the Genoa's reefed in should I move the sheets to the tracks on the roof?
You could but be aware the Genoa is cut differently from a jib, I don't use the genoa as I find the jib good enough, but I believe the Genoa is pretty much a deck sweeper while the jib is cut higher, this will really effect your sheeting angles if you use the rooftop jib cars.

DaveC426913
Admiral
Posts: 1320
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:05 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Re: 26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by DaveC426913 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:55 pm

I use my 150 jenny 100% of the time. They are sheeted to the cockpit fairleads, never to the cabin top fairleads. Can't imagine how you'd do that with a jenny.

Then again, I never use the winches. I have EZ-cleats:
Image

and don't even leave the helm to tack my jenny. Best mod ever.

Baha
First Officer
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:58 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: UK

Re: 26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by Baha » Wed May 23, 2018 2:39 am

Dittos on the EZ Cleats...I never use winches with my genoa or jib. I do plan to break out the asymmetrical this summer....I am pretty sure the same cleats will work great here as well. The only problem I ever have is the jib sheet occasionally getting fouled on my mid-cleat. Has anybody ever seen those cool "snap closed" mooring cleats that work with the rail?

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3458
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: 26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by dlandersson » Wed May 23, 2018 6:36 am

And Tritto (?) on the EZ cleats. 8)
Baha wrote:Dittos on the EZ Cleats...I never use winches with my genoa or jib. I do plan to break out the asymmetrical this summer....I am pretty sure the same cleats will work great here as well. The only problem I ever have is the jib sheet occasionally getting fouled on my mid-cleat. Has anybody ever seen those cool "snap closed" mooring cleats that work with the rail?

randall330
Just Enlisted
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:05 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: 26x with CDI Roller Furler question

Post by randall330 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Rerouting the sheet as you described is working great.
I found if I furl in the genoa about 25 to 30 % when I'm on a close haul I get better response, Is this the proper way to handle this. I've never used a roller furler before. I also have to pull the main in really tight.

Please forgive my lack of terminology.

Post Reply