Question on Standing rigging ?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Question on Standing rigging ?

Post by Ponaldpe » Wed May 23, 2018 9:26 am

Is their any reason not to replace the leaver adjuster with turnbuckles ? For the standing Rigging on 26M. :macm: . :?

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Question on Standing rigging ?

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 am

Well, those vernier adjusters are much tougher than turnbuckles of similar capacity. If you don't trailer the boat, then that's probably a non-issue.

Turnbuckles cost more than what's already on the boat (any cost is more than what's already there :wink: ).

And lastly, I don't see an advantage to turnbuckles on a small boat like these. :|

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 am

Tomfoolery wrote:Well, those vernier adjusters are much tougher than turnbuckles of similar capacity. If you don't trailer the boat, then that's probably a non-issue.

Turnbuckles cost more than what's already on the boat (any cost is more than what's already there :wink: ).

And lastly, I don't see an advantage to turnbuckles on a small boat like these. :|
+1 :)

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I » Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 am

Tomfoolery wrote:Well, those vernier adjusters are much tougher than turnbuckles of similar capacity. If you don't trailer the boat, then that's probably a non-issue.

Agreed. But I think there is the advantage of being able to adjust and balance the shroud tension while the mast is fully stepped. That really isn't something you can do with the vernier adjusters.

paula_ke
Chief Steward

Post by paula_ke » Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Adjusting the shrouds with verniers while fully stepped is done with this simple tool: http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/1301-110.htm. A Johnson lever for the fore-stay would be a better investment then turnbuckles. Once set, the verniers do not move and stainless steel cable does not stretch (or very little). There are quite a few discussions on tuning the standing rigging on a 26M.

Captain Paula of the good ship AirWave
:macm:

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed May 23, 2018 4:37 pm

You can also do it with a pair of awls. Pretty easy, really, but I normally just use the MRS, unpin the forestay, make the tweak, and yank it tight and repin the forestay and slacken the MRS to check. It's also easy to visualize what the mast is doing as the upper and lower stays don't go taut at the same time, and you can see the mast bend being induced as you tighten and loosen the MRS. 8)

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Wed May 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks for all the input , I have turnbuckles on a small sailboat and they are very easy to adjust. That was the reason for the question, and I plan on replacing my standing=g rigging soon. Looking at all options.

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 pm

I hated those punchplates adjusters so I subbed dyneema lashings. So far so good however I am not recommending them yet.
I would avoid turnbuckles on the side stays. They bend easily.

Ix

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Wed May 23, 2018 7:23 pm

I bought one of those tools from bwy its basically just a pipe with two bolts running through it at just the right spacing but it was cheap and does work.... much easier to do at a sandbar or at shallow anchor as i did it on the water but standing beside boat was the easiest .....the loos gauge was a little expensive but I feel worth it... the feeling by hand guitar string twang isn't very precise and I believe is why I bent 2 spreaders now I keep them both at 300lbs

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Wed May 23, 2018 7:25 pm

paula_ke wrote: A Johnson lever for the fore-stay would be a better investment then turnbuckles. Once set, the verniers do not move and stainless steel cable does not stretch (or very little).
+2 for the Johnson Lever. Once you tension the rig the way you want it, it will always be the same with the lever. It also makes it easy to adjust the verniers with two Philips screw drivers or the awls. Before the Johnson Lever I had to pin the forestay and then tighten the turnbuckle to achieve proper tension on the rigging and that was with a hank-on sail. That gets old putting the mast up and down and couldn't of done it with the turnbuckle in the roller furler so the rigging would of been looser than I like.

The Johnson Lever has a number of benefits....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... ng-24.html

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Wed May 23, 2018 7:35 pm

I wanted to do the johnson lever also when reading about it but don't you have to get a custom made forestay that takes into account the extra length the johnson lever adds or move the forestay up the mast a few inches???
I have my uppers and lowers set at 300lbs and I really have to crank down HARD on the winch to get the forestay pin through and worry that one of these days something's gonna break and the mast will come crashing down

paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I » Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 pm

paula_ke wrote:Adjusting the shrouds with verniers while fully stepped is done with this simple tool: http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/1301-110.htm. A Johnson lever for the fore-stay would be a better investment then turnbuckles. Once set, the verniers do not move and stainless steel cable does not stretch (or very little). There are quite a few discussions on tuning the standing rigging on a 26M.

Thank you. I never saw that tool before.

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Wed May 23, 2018 8:41 pm

whgoffrn wrote:I wanted to do the johnson lever also when reading about it but don't you have to get a custom made forestay that takes into account the extra length the johnson lever adds or move the forestay up the mast a few inches??? ...
Probably one or the other or both. I did both. I want to think the new forestay was not that expensive from riggingonly.com and I wanted a new one that was heavier (5/32 th) as my rigging was old and I was replacing all the rigging at the same time (see link in other post).
whgoffrn wrote:....I have my uppers and lowers set at 300lbs and I really have to crank down HARD on the winch to get the forestay pin through and worry that one of these days something's gonna break and the mast will come crashing down
That is about what I have mine set at, forgot but I think about 320. I can pin the forestay with the mast raising gear without putting a lot of stress on it and then flip the Johnson Lever over and I'm done.

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Man I wish I had a Johnson lever on my X.

I have bulging muscles from the time spent trying to span that last inch.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Thu May 24, 2018 2:26 am

paul I wrote:
paula_ke wrote:Adjusting the shrouds with verniers while fully stepped is done with this simple tool: http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/1301-110.htm. A Johnson lever for the fore-stay would be a better investment then turnbuckles. Once set, the verniers do not move and stainless steel cable does not stretch (or very little). There are quite a few discussions on tuning the standing rigging on a 26M.

Thank you. I never saw that tool before.
Wow this tool for the adjuster is quite intelligent. It's not worth for me to roder as I am in Europa, shipping too exepnsive.

What is the distance from the screws? Maybe I can construct myself...